Dirt Slinger

Handle bar lowering leads to looseness and rattling

So I took the spacer rings out from under the handlebar and left one down. Stuck the other two on top and screwed it on tight. Now the handlebar is loose and rattles when riding in grass. Goes back to normal after I put all spacers on the bottom. Help! Thx in advance

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'll assume you're tightening the stem onto the fork tube and not just tightening down the headset tensioner, so onto other possibilities.

1. Did you loosen the tightening cap after you tightened down the stem and the shims are vibrating?

2. Sure it's the handlebar and not one of your cables? dropping the fork some will add slack to your cables and they will hit each other/frame.

3. halloween goblins???

Dirt Slinger
    If I pick up the handlebar but not enough to pick up the bike,Che handlebar goes up and forwards just a bit. Rattles by itself on smooth stuff. It isn't cables I can tell u that. I can see the large (headset? ) piece right above the fork and around the pipe that the fork shoots up. This big piece wiggles a touch.

Dirt Slinger
    Did some research cause I'm a pretty stupid person and now I know what I'm talking about the headtube wiggles just a bit from the steering tube. Thx again

mtbr member
    Name:  headset.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  32.0 KB

I'll take a crack at it.

So if you've used the same sized spacers as were originally on it,(all of them) when assembled with pinch bolts loose and cap off, there should be a small gap between your steerer tube and the top of your stem where the cap goes. You need this to preload the steerer.
    Tighten the cap down first before anything making sure that your front wheel is at 9o degree with your bars and once that is tight then and only then you can tighten your pinch bolts. This is why having that gap between the top of the steerer and the top of the stem is important. min 3mm. Otherwise it will shake and raddle around in your headset while you ride.

Look here also.
    Tech Tuesday - Steerer tube length - Pinkbike
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincon98 View Post
    Did some research cause I'm a pretty stupid person and now I know what I'm talking about the headtube wiggles just a bit from the steering tube. Thx again
    do a little more searching on adjusting your headset. You didn't do this correctly when you put everything back together.

Dirt Slinger
    I thin ki will give it another shot. Thx guys. I called my lbs about it and he said something about adjusting bearings but it didn't make sense to me. I'll try this way and then maybe take it in but they will probably charge me 50$

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Handle bar lowering leads to looseness and rattling

Quote Originally Posted by Rincon98 View Post
    I thin ki will give it another shot. Thx guys. I called my lbs about it and he said something about adjusting bearings but it didn't make sense to me. I'll try this way and then maybe take it in but they will probably charge me 50$
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...ice#adjustment
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    add a spacer to the top cap

OSM
    mtbr member
    Specialized did make those PRO-SET stems which allow you to choose different rise angles by positioning a collar around the steerertube. If you have one of those, installing the spacers on top of the stem would be faulty because the top cap and stem angle are offset and must mount flush in order to work correctly. what kind of headset (size) and model stem are you using?
    Bicycles D'opinion/ COMMENCAL /Principat D'Andorra

VENI VEDI BIKI
    1. When you reassemble, you need to make sure that the stem or top spacer is 3-5mm above the top of the steerer tube.
    2. Once you have done #1, then make sure you stem bolts are LOOSENED. THEN, tighten down the top cap until you get a lot of resistance, but not too tight so your steerer tube wont turn.
    3. AFTER you have tightened your top cap, you can NOW tighten your stem bolts.

Your rattling/movement is likely caused by one or more of the following: 1) top spacer/stem does not rise 3-5mm above steerertube, so the headset is not preloaded properly; 2) you did not tighten your star nut enough; or 3) you tightened your stem bolts before tightening the top cap.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

Dirt Slinger
    It worked! Thx guys. I tightened the top bolt first and then the stem bolts and now it doesn't rattle. Thx again