mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Handle bar fitment help.

Hi,

So my frame is an xl size I'm 6' 3". Moved my forks from one frame to this one the steerer tube is now on the short side so the stem and bars are slammed. The stance is just to aggressive for me arse up nose down. I get an over the bars feeling on the flat. I've just put on a cheap stem riser to allow me to play with the height of the bars to see if I like the higher bar position. My question is. Once I find a nice height and remove the stem riser. How do I calculate what height of riser bar I need to get the same height?

Joel
    Follow me on Twitter @OnOneCarbon456

Hi I'am an On-One Carbon 456 mountain bike, follow me to find out what i get up to...

mtbr member
    Measure how much higher your bars are where you want them vs. where they are in the slammed position and get the appropriate stem and handlebar to get your bars back to that height.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

Happy Trails

Handle bar fitment help.

Use an online stem calculator to compare the rise (height) and run (length) of one stem compared to another. You will enter in the stem angle and length. Also, you could simply use a riser handle bar. If you had a flat bar before, there are a lot of 20, 30, and 40mm riser bars out there. I use an Easton XC70 riser with 40mm or rise and it works great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Why not stick with the riser stem?

Anyway, if you do want to go with a riser, those online calculators are a good way to know what you will need with a different stem (in this case I assume your original stem).

However, one problem with bar rise measurements is that companies measure them differently. Some measure the rise to the grips (in which the upsweep gets counted), some measure the added rise of the bend (rise) near the stem. I have a "flat" bar and a 20mm "riser" bar that are the same rise to the grips.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.