mtbr member
    Apr 2011

GT Zaskar LE Sizing Question

So a long story short, I had a 98 Zaskar that just got stolen, I want a replacement but don't know my size. So I'm have having to look for Zaskar's that are not local and will have to purchase site unseen and without riding them(makes me nervous).

So I have three questions for you mtbr peoples out there,

1. Is this an authentic Zaskar? There is a picture below of serial number and I believe this this is from 1993.

2. The seller says its a medium and he is 5'7. I am 5'9 and was wondering if you think this will fit me. I will be doing almost all road riding.

3. The seller is asking $500 and will not budge, is this bike worth it?

Thanks so much for your input!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Zaskar LE Sizing Question-full-bike-new.jpg  

GT Zaskar LE Sizing Question-zaskar-front-new.jpg  

GT Zaskar LE Sizing Question-zaskar-rear-new.jpg  

GT Zaskar LE Sizing Question-zaskar-rear-wheel-new.jpg  

GT Zaskar LE Sizing Question-zaskar-serial-number-new.jpg  

Last edited by Portlanddude; 04-13-2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Wrong Title

Former Bike Wrench
    1. Colors scream 1997 and so does the rapid rise XTR rear derailleur, certainly not a 1993. Would be US made 6061-T6 and looks authentic. Not the stock fork (This is probably a good thing, the Bomber on there now is a better fork than the original Judy SL) or stock Wheelset. The hubs are the German made Union Hugi Hubs...LOUD! but very reliable. Looks like DT spokes so that is good as well. Can't tell what the rims are, they're not eyeleted but there were some very good non-eyeleted rims back then such as the Bontrager Red and Blue Label rims. The XTR looks all original and the presence of road tires tells me it is probably in good shape.

2. Not sure what he means by medium, they came in 14.5, 16, 18, 19, and 20, and ran big as they were measured Center of BB to the center of the seat tube/top tube intersection (most bikes are measured to the top of the seat tube, so a 18" GT was about the same as most 20" bikes). If he means the 16" (18" in most other brands) then yes that should be about your size.

3. Price is subjective, it is a 14 year old bike. On the other hand it would have retailed for over $3000 back in 1997 and is decked out with some of the best parts available at the time. If your not looking to upgrade it to modern parts, it is probably a sub 24-25 lbs hardtail that should have lots of life left (GT built their aluminum frames burley) and would serve you fine.