Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Idea! GT, Jamis or ???.......Your opinion

I am in the market for a new FS bike. But like many people, my budget keeps me from getting the best of the best. Need to keep it under $2000. I have considered many different bikes (Fisher, Cannondale, K2, Trek.etc...) and have narrowed it down to 2 bikes because of the cost. The GT IDXC 1.0 and the Jamis Dakar XC Expert. The Jamis being under my budget and the GT being just a little over. Both are decked out with about the same quality of products. The problem is that I live in an area where the bike shops don't really stock many bikes and neither of these bikes are in stock. So I can't go by the personal feel for either bike.

What I am asking for is any suggestions and/or personal opinions.

On MTBR hiatus :(

Iron Horse Hollowpoint...

I've always got to throw this one in to the mix. Very similar "all mountain" catagory and parts mix to the Jamis bikes, and by the sounds of it, a little more durable (nothing against you Jamis folks -- the Hollowpoint had an early batch of out-of-spec frames that were warrantied, but the Jamis bikes seem to be suffering from a recuring breakage at one of the pivot locations).

You'll probably be no better off finding one of these locally, but I suggest you read up both in the reviews forum and on the "What Bike" forum on the old boards. Really a remarkable suspension design and parts spec, regardless of price.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I would go the Jamis, but before I went that route I would get the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Disk (Suggested Retail 2170, actual selling price about 1999). True FSR, Fox Fork, better geometry (in my opinion).

Demon Cleaner
    I'm not sure why you chose those two bikes, but I'll assume there must be some reason. Two grand is plenty to spend on a bike. For that much you have a ton of choices. Sure, you can't buy some of the trick rides that folks here always talk about, but lots of people ride bikes that are worth far less than $2k. Count yourself lucky!

As for choices. I don't know the GT so I won't comment. I like the Jamis just fine. I'd also look into the Stumpy FSR, and as mentioned the Iron Horse Hollowpoint. I've never riden a Hollowpoint, but the price and design are very interesting. Sounds like a more affordable Blur.

If you are planing to order mailorder then you may not have all of these choices, but at least browse the manufacture's websites and take a look. Also the search function on the old forums.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I second the Hollowpoint suggestion

I've got the 2003 Hollowpoint Sport, but have sense updated most of the parts that make it a "Sport" rather than an "Expert" or "Team". I love this frame. It really is a solid, smooth (but but squishy) suspension design. VERY little bob, like you might find in some other frames. Check it out. You will not be disapointed.

Chrome Toaster
    http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?L...7&lcat_id=7604

Iron Horse Hollowpoint Expert, $1399 full XT drivetrain group, Hayes hydro brakes, tubeless rims, Fox up front and rear, and easton components, all with 600 dollars to spare so you can upgrade any component you don't like too much. Sounds like a much better deal if you ask me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I went through the same delemna when I purchased my new bike last year. After years of riding a racing hardtail I decided to switch over to a full-suspension bike. The bikes I had on the list were the Specialized FSR Comp, Fisher Sugar, Cannondale Jekyll, Giant NRS, and Trek Fuel. My friend had an FSR which I liked but I thought it suffered from rear end flex (I weight 195). I wasn't terribly impressed with the Sugar or Fuel (for me the geometry just didn't feel right on either bike plus hated the way the Sugar rode steep climbs). The Giant NRS rode nice and fast as did the Fuel but definitely did not have the cushiness I was looking for (as cited many times both rode like an efficient hardtail with some suspension benefits). The Jekyll definitely soaked up things well but failed to impress me on the same climb that the Sugar suffered. The last bike the Jamis fit like a glove geometry wise, had a level of cushiness somewhere between the Giant/Trek and the Cannondale, and climbed and rode extremely well. I've been riding the rooty/rocky trails of New England and have had zero problems with the rear (most other Jamis riders I have met also have had zero problems over the years). Iron Horse it not a big player here in the Northeast for some reason. I know of only one person that has one and he like it. Then again this same person tried out my friends FSR and my Dakar and really impressed the these bikes overall demeanor. My advise, try them all out on real trails if you can and buy the one which rides and fits best for you.

Regards,
    Tom in CT

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Speaking of supergo, the new Weyless line looks pretty impresive. The SP for $1299 is an absolute steal for a 4" bike and the XP at $1549 a steal for a 5" bike. If you step up to the $1999 SP, you get a bike with a Fox 100x, Propedal rear shock, Juicy 7 brakes, WTB laserdisk wheels, etc.. I would still go the Stumpjumper, but bang for buck, these look awsome.

http://www.supergo.com/itemlist.cfm?...4&lsubcat_id=7

Frequent Crasher
    I got an '04 Specialized Enduro Comp for $1759 great bike, very well spec'ed for the price.

mtbr member

Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

First off thanks for all your thoughts....Now the Hollowopoint is pounding in my head....lol.
    Although mailorders offer good deals, I would like to support a LBS, so I am picking from what is avaliable. But I might be able to get a good deal on a Kona (King Kikapu). Just waiting to make a few contacts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Supporting LBS vs. online buying

Quote Originally Posted by wvmtb
    First off thanks for all your thoughts....Now the Hollowopoint is pounding in my head....lol.
    Although mailorders offer good deals, I would like to support a LBS, so I am picking from what is avaliable. But I might be able to get a good deal on a Kona (King Kikapu). Just waiting to make a few contacts.
    Man, I like to support the LBS, too. I really, really like having them around. But when the difference is several hundred bucks, it's hard to make the call to bypass the catalog guys. I've even thought about buying a shop myself, but the economy is pretty darwinistic and I realize I'd have to figure out an economic model that's more solid than "buy here because you like the shop, even though I charge more."

Very, very few shops in my area (Dallas-Fort Worth) carry more than 2-3 brands. It's all Trek, Specialized and Gary Fisher on the MTB side. There's one small shop that carries Cannondale and a couple that carry Giant, but there's no selection at either one of those. That makes it hard to see the value a shop provides (while I'm shopping - they definitely provide value in services, which I pay for). The bike world isn't immune to economics, and I expect over the next few years that we'll see a rise in "superstore" type shops that can really provide a selection, and lots more online buying. The small local shop is going to have a hard time surviving.

Didn't mean to turn this into a discussion of economics. Just meaning to say that market forces are going to put pressure on the local shops no matter what you do with your personal buying dollars, so it makes sense to me to think about whether the LBS is really providing the kind of value that justifies the extra cash you lay out to buy through them.

Whatever you do, good luck finding the right bike. There's always my method - keep buying and selling bikes till you've got a set you really like. :-)

Michael

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I've got a Jamis Drakar

I've got a Jamis Drakar and I like it very much. You might also want to check out the new Salsa Caballero

Downhiller
    Well we have both of the bikes in stock at my work, but i live in aus so thats no help. However i would defenitly choose the jamis, as it is cheaper, feels nicer, and with the extra money you could spend that on accessories. I am personally not a big fan of the i drive system, because there is too much that can go wrong with it, and the swingarm is too small in all the wrong places. The jamis linkage works a charm.
    Another useless 2c of information from Mr_Chris !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Chris
    I am personally not a big fan of the i drive system, because there is too much that can go wrong with it, and the swingarm is too small in all the wrong places
    "aus" "usa"......same letters but in the wrong places. Your right, not going to help me much here. Have you ever seen any major problems with the new or old i drive system? I know that for the 04 bikes they redesigned it but is that a good thing or a bad thing? I never was impressed with the old design. Neither have I been much of a GT fan (no disrespect to any GT riders or sellers). So I am leaning hard towards the Jamis. Unless I can work out a deal with the Kona dealer.

Chrome Toaster
    I'm all for supporting good bike shops as much as possible but when the deal is too good to pass up I'm the one who looses if I do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Jamis warranty

Long story short: My 03 xlt 2.0 frame has had bearings go bad three times. The dealer took care of it.

Then the seatstay (not the problematic chainstay breakages) was diagnosed as bad. Said they'd ship it out 3-day. FOUR weeks go by and the package arrives after many excuses. They sent the chainstay. They were so used to the "send me a chainstay" warranty that they must have did it automatically. So now I have the part that WILL break eventually, but still need the seatstay.

Thankfully it's too muddy to ride the dirt, and I'm doing road miles. I can wait another 4 weeks.

Big ring = No chainsuck
    I'm also looking for a fully in this price range- looking at the stumpjumper expert disc.
    What is the msrp of the Jamis?
    I would say go with your lbs- you get the benefit of service that you don't get with
    mail-order

Good Luck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nc-rider
    I'm also looking for a fully in this price range- looking at the stumpjumper expert disc.
    What is the msrp of the Jamis?
    I would say go with your lbs- you get the benefit of service that you don't get with
    mail-order

Good Luck
    Pro = 3149.95, Expert = 1999.95 & the Comp = 1429.95. (according to the bike shop)

I am looking at the expert and that is the only bike I have came across with full XT set-up & disc under 2k. Everything else I have seen is 2300 or more.
    What's the msrp of the stumpjumper and what does it weigh in at? The Jamis Expert is 26.5lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    as far as LBS vs. mailorder ads, i've found that buying parts from a shop and having the shop put them on for free balances out with the discounts you can get from internet sellers. plus, having a relationship with a shop (at least for me) gives me peace of mind when my bike is getting work done, since i'm not a stranger to them. of course, i guess none of this matters if you do your own wrenching.

Industry Loudmouth

Northeast Represent!!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbikepatrol
    I've been riding the rooty/rocky trails of New England and have had zero problems with the rear (most other Jamis riders I have met also have had zero problems over the years). Iron Horse it not a big player here in the Northeast for some reason. I know of only one person that has one and he like it.
    Not to really jump into the "which bike is better" debate here because bottom line, there is no perfect bike for every rider and every situation. Get what YOU want not what your friends or dealer want you to get (your wife however maybe the final say LOL).

I just wanted to correct one MAJOR inaccuaracy in Tom's statement above. Iron Horse is EAST COAST and proud! We are based on Long Island and ride extensively throughout the Northeast. Dave Weagle (the dw in dw-link) lives on Martha's Vineyard and rides/races across New England. I ride/race across the Northeast and have been racing since the '94 season (my first race ever was the Jack Rabbit Run in Norwalk, now I race DH). Pro's and amatuers on our bikes have won numerous races at Plattekill, Mountain Creek, Sunday River, etc over the past several seasons. Salem Mazzawy (of Glastonbury, CT) was the 02 & 03 New England XC Series Champion on board an Iron Horse Hollowpoint. Donna Fletcher (Burlington, VT) won the US Open at Mountain Creek on an SGS-Expert. The UMass road team also competes on Iron Horse Victory frames. the Evil Bikes DH team of Heikki Hall (Lake Placid, NY), Chris Carlton (ME), and Avery Buch (ME) raced SGS-Team's.

For the 04 season Iron Horse will again be supporting a bunch of Northeast riders such as George 'Muffin' Ryan (street & DH), Todd Bosch (freeride/DH), the Iron Horse/Subway team (pro's Jody Stoddard & Ken Avery), Salem Mazzawy (XC), the Evil Bikes DH Team & numerous others.

-ska todd
    Last edited by ska todd; 01-20-2004 at 08:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wasn't saying anything negative about Iron Horse because I think they are a great company from what I've seen while stationed on the west coast a few years back. I know when I was stationed out on the west coast (spent 20 years in the Navy so bounced around each cost; mostly in New England) Iron Horse was definitely more dominate on the race scene then in New England. My own experience is based on having raced since 1991 and I haven't seen any newer Iron Horse bikes out on the trails in "my" area or in the states I've raced in (CT, NH, MA, VT, NY, ME) so can't fairly comment on their riding capabilities or bike fit. I also spent five years as a Mountain Bike Patrol Coordinator for NEMBA and helped at more then a few biking events. Most of the bikes I see around are Cannondales, Intense, Merlins', Specialized, Giant and Treks. Even Jamis which is out of New Jersey is not as big in presence on the trails but I have at least seen my fair share of them out on the trails and had the opportunity to at least try out while in the woods.

Happy Trails,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ska todd
    Not to really jump into the "which bike is better" debate here because bottom line, there is no perfect bike for every rider and every situation. Get what YOU want not what your friends or dealer want you to get (your wife however maybe the final say LOL).

I just wanted to correct one MAJOR inaccuaracy in Tom's statement above. Iron Horse is EAST COAST and proud! We are based on Long Island and ride extensively throughout the Northeast. Dave Weagle (the dw in dw-link) lives on Martha's Vineyard and rides/races across New England. I ride/race across the Northeast and have been racing since the '94 season (my first race ever was the Jack Rabbit Run in Norwalk, now I race DH). Pro's and amatuers on our bikes have won numerous races at Plattekill, Mountain Creek, Sunday River, etc over the past several seasons. Salem Mazzawy (of Glastonbury, CT) was the 02 & 03 New England XC Series Champion on board an Iron Horse Hollowpoint. Donna Fletcher (Burlington, VT) won the US Open at Mountain Creek on an SGS-Expert. The UMass road team also competes on Iron Horse Victory frames.

For the 04 season Iron Horse will again be supporting a bunch of Northeast riders such as George 'Muffin' Ryan (street & DH), Todd Bosch (freeride/DH), the Iron Horse/Subway team (pro's Jody Stoddard & Ken Avery), and Salem Mazzawy (XC).

-ska todd

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikepatrol
    I wasn't saying anything negative about Iron Horse because I think they are a great company from what I've seen while stationed on the west coast a few years back. I know when I was stationed out on the west coast (spent 20 years in the Navy so bounced around each cost; mostly in New England) Iron Horse was definitely more dominate on the race scene then in New England. My own experience is based on having raced since 1991 and I haven't seen any newer Iron Horse bikes out on the trails in "my" area or in the states I've raced in (CT, NH, MA, VT, NY, ME) so can't fairly comment on their riding capabilities or bike fit. I also spent five years as a Mountain Bike Patrol Coordinator for NEMBA and helped at more then a few biking events. Most of the bikes I see around are Cannondales, Intense, Merlins', Specialized, Giant and Treks. Even Jamis which is out of New Jersey is not as big in presence on the trails but I have at least seen my fair share of them out on the trails and had the opportunity to at least try out while in the woods.
    I just wanted it to be crystal clear to the world that Iron Horse is an East Coast company and damned proud of it! While Iron Horse isn't a 'player' in the traditional XC market we are making considerable in-roads into this market segment.due in large part to the Hollowpoint and the dw-link suspension design. I promise that over the course of this season you will see several exciting applications of the dw-link suspension system, including ones that'll be suited to the XC race course.

While we had more of an XC presence in the early 90's in New England, our niche over the past 5 years has shifted to DH and freeride. If you check out any Plattekill, Ragged, or Sunday River race you will probably see more Iron Horse's than any other brand. Northeast DH is our hometurf!!

-ska todd

mtbr member

Upset Get what you pay for

My Jamis Dakar was my second FS and though not the worst you could do, was dissappointed with their bushings and bearings. This is a 03 and the bearings were grating before it hit the trails. The bushings were IMHO cheap, but what should I expect for the price. Last note, I am wary of any company who will not give access to end consumer. Good luck in trying to contact them with a question or problem....they dont post a phone number or e-mail on their site. And I hear of Derailer hangers are harder to find than weapons of mass destrution in Iraq.

Ski during the off-season
    How does the hollowpoint compare to the stumpjumper/enduro?

mtbr member
    The GT got a really good review (9/10 I think) in a MBR UK long-term test. My brothers GT Pantera has beenthrashed for about 10years and still going strong, so I think they are well able to make decent bikes. Jamis is pretty sweet too though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast