mtbr member
    Aug 2009

GT Force 3.0 2010 or Specialized FSR XC Comp 2010 ?

Hi all,
    I'm after a FS bike and i've narrowed it down to[SIZE="2"] GT Force 3.0 2010[/SIZE] and[SIZE="2"] Specialized FSR XC Comp 2010[/SIZE].

Here is a link with the specs for both:
    [SIZE="3"]http://www.evanscycles.com/products-comparison?products=ec020903|ec020338[/SIZE]

Ignore the price, assume they are equally priced.

Has anybody ridden both ? Which would you recommend ?
    I've read many positive things about the FSR XC Comp, i know it's a safe buy, but i dont like the idea of being limited in replacing the rear shock.
    What about the GT's I-Link ? Works ? or is it a fancy way for GT just to say that their design is better ?
    I couldn't find much info about the GT's fork: SR MAG 32. It's 20mm longer, but how does it compare to RS Tora Slite ?
    Neither front or rear shocks for GT have a lockout. How much of a problem will that be for general riding in town, not in the mountain ?

I have to take a decision fast inorder to benefit from an online offer.
    Please guys let me know your opinion...which should i go for....

Many thanks !

No good in rock gardens..
    The Specialized has a better spec in many areas IMO and I'd wager it's a bit lighter than the GT also.

I've ridden a couple of I Drives and I hate the way they pedal, TBH. They just feel sluggish to me and a shock without a pedalling platform only makes it worse.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Regarding weight.... they should both be around 30lb, 13,6 Kg.

I think the FSR will be closer to my needs, it's that extra fork travel that tempts me, and the i-link/i-drive system.

I will be spending time on asphalt roads...so probably the FSR with the locking fork and shock is closer to what i need....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have ridden both and they ride completely different. I am honestly not a huge fan of the specialized set up but they have a large following customer wise. I think the I-Drive is nice due to the lack of pedal bob but that can also be accomplished using a fox pro pedal shock or specialize has a shock brain that locks out. Personally I like the styling and GT's can have alot of bang for your buck especially when on sale. I think in this situation though the Specialized has better parts on it however the GT has more travel. If you ride alot of trails go with the GT. If you do more light trails and XC style riding go with the Specialized. Here is mine. I got the 08 Force 3.0 originally for $1000.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I haven't ridden an FSR for a few years, never owned one. I liked the way it handled and the suspension was very good. Spent a little more time on an Epic and liked it better.

I've ridden a couple different GT's over the last few years and I've gotta say the new design in the Force and Sanction are awesome. Way better than the older I-drive versions. If you're happy with the fork on the Force, I'd seriously consider it. Other parts will be fine or they can be swapped out later if you want.

Another thing to consider is parts and warranty....both companies are excellent in those departments but your particular local dealers might make one company better for you. Important thing to keep in mind! I'm not crazy about proprietary parts either....Specialized and Cannondale are the kings of that. GT has its bottom bracket specialties (and they're easy to maintain, just different) but other than that you can shop off the shelf anywhere you want.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Here is another option and both of these bikes have better parts and have been proven to do very well. For the price you couldnt even build either one

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/187...onarch-3.1.htm

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/187...onarch-2.1.htm