mtbr member
    Apr 2004

GT Avalanche 1.0 and Specialized Hardrock Sport

I do mostly cross-country, or better say cross-city with little ladders, border jumps and stuff. Also i ride in winter - with a help of spiked tires.
    Now, my present ride is in pretty poor condition - GT Palomar has lasted only for 2500 miles of harsh riding. Also i it is pretty heavy due to iron frame and it breaks often too!

I'm purchasing a new hardtail for approximately 600 USD. Although here in Moscow one can buy lottsa different brands, i narrowed my choice to 2 models - GT Avalanche 1.0 and Specialized Hardrock Sport. They both have mechanical disc brakes - as i'm sick and tired of constant v-breake tuning, but the equipment installed is quite different - Avalance can boast of Deore things, Specialized has Acera-class parts. The frames differ greately - Hardrock's seems to be a tough runner and Avalanche's is a XC machine. Also Specialized is a bit heavier than GT, but i suppose more reliable.

How is Hardrock riding cross-country? Does its weight prevents the rider from going 60smth km rides? I suppose GT is more preferable (due to the lesser weight) but i also jump (not high for the time being) and would like to have a strong unbreakable frame. Also the geometry of GT? Is it good - as i have heard about Avalanche's frame geometry being not really good (whatever)?
    Any advice on the matter?

MANY thanx in advance!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I haven't had much experience with the Specialized frame but I do own a GT Avalanche 2.0 which has exactly the same frame as the 1.0. It is designed more for XC than anything else however it isn't a true XC race type frame such as the GT Zaskar. It is far to heavy. The geometry does lend itself to XC but again, it is still too heavy. It is however a solid frame and won't break very easily but I would avoid doing a lot of jumps because it isn't a jump bike.