Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is this a good price?

717 views 16 replies 2 participants last post by  borregokid 
#1 ·
Stumpjumper M4 FSR Comp. Asking price is $750, might be able to talk that down a little. here are the specs:

(Manitou Black Elite Fork & Fox Triad Rear fork). Shimano MTB Rims, and a 9 speed crankset.
Specifications:
FRAME
FSR technology, M4 Manipulated Alloy frame with TransForm Monocoque TT, sealed cartridge bearings, disc compatible, 100mm travel, replaceable derailleur hanger, two sets of water bottle bosses
REAR SHOCK
Fox Float Triad. Custom-on-the fly three position switch 1) Lockout, 2) Open, 3) ProPedal pedal assisting damping. External rebound adjust, twin sleeve design for increased volume. 6.5x1.5"
HEADSET
1 1/8" threadless, 3x sealed, black alloy cups, cartridge bearings, ultralight alloy top cap and bolt
STEM
Alloy, 4 bolt, 6 degree rise, black
HANDLEBARS
Specialized XC Low Rise bar, 2014 butted alloy, 6 degree upsweep, 8 degree backsweep, 640mm width
TAPE / GRIPS
Specialized MTB grip, black, double density Kraton
FRONT & Rear BRAKES: Disc brakes
BRAKE LEVERS
Avid SD-5, speed dial adjustment
FRONT DERAILLEUR
Shimano M-570 LX, 34.9mm clamp, bottom pull
REAR DERAILLEUR
Shimano M-952 XTR, long cage, standard spring
SHIFT LEVERS
Shimano M-570 LX
CASSETTE
Shimano HG-50 LX, 9-speed, 11x34t
CHAIN
Shimano HG-73
CRANKSET
Specialized Strongarm II, Octalink XT Spline
CHAINRINGS
44Ax32Ax22S, 4 bolt 104/64mm pattern, steel chainring bolts
BOTTOM BRACKET
Shimano ES-30 Octalink spline, 68mm shell, 118mm spindle. 50mm chainline.
PEDALS
Shimano 515 SPD & Egg Beater (includes both)
FRONT HUB
Specialized Stout, 28 hole, 9mm Skraxle
REAR HUB
Shimano, 32 hole, loose ball bearings, alloy Q/R
FRONT TIRE
Specialized Roll-X Pro 2.0, aramid bead, 120tpi
REAR TIRE
Specialized Roll-X Pro 2.0, aramid bead, 120tpi
TUBES
Specialized Ultralight, presta valve
SADDLE
Specialized Body Geometry technology, hollow Cr-Mo rails
SEAT POST
2014 butted alloy, black, 30.9 x 350/400mm
SEAT BINDER
Alloy collar with Q/R, 34.9mm clamp I.D., black

See less See more
#2 ·
Its probably already sold unless you have contacted the seller already. You also need to be the right height. If you are 510 and the bike is a medium or 17 inch frame it will be too small. I dont see where the bike would go for much less than $750 unless it were in fair-poor conditon. I would be prepared to pay full price and be happy with the deal.

#4 ·
what about this: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/bik/1258714718.html

looks to be the same bike, but i guess older... this one is a 2004, and doesnt have disc brakes... id just shell out the $90 or so for a set of bb7s... Thats something i can use to bargain down the price... (i saw the identical bike with discs for $25 cheaper... I have to spend almost $100 for a set of discs...)

#5 ·
If the first bike was available I would probably go for it and ride it until it felt too small. The bigger 19 inch frame might feel too big for a while but in either case you wouldnt be any worst than a lot of riders. I got beat in a race by a kid who was riding a bike that looked bigger than him.

The second bike not a lot of information but hopefully its all original stuff. Its a step down and a year older I think the price could come down to $650-$700. I wonder how tall the owner is the seats up fairly high. I am just guessing that its a 19" or large.

#7 ·
It looks pretty nice. The price is only slightly high so whatever you can get off it will be a bonus. Its tough waiting around for a better buy when you are narrowing the focus down and you are working in a price range. If you think you are going to grow a couple more inches it will be a great fit. If you buy it consider putting some "bling" on the bike. I would go for the Avid Elixirs.

#8 ·
it turns out the first bike is still available. the only thing that is bugging me is the size. 17" might be too small, I currently have an 18" Trek frame that fits perfectly. are there any differences in geometry between trek and specialized that might make up for this?

I just saw a website that said Medium Specialized FSR stumpy frames fit people from 5'5" to 5'10"... so maybe it will work.

#9 ·
He sent me the geometry specs for it:

Seat Tube Length - Center to Top 445mm

Top Tube Length (Horizontal) 590mm

Top Tube Length (Actual) 594mm

Chainstay Length 420mm

Bottom Bracket Height - Low Setting 3335mm

Seat Tube Angle (Actual) - Low Setting 71°

Seat Tube Angle (Effective) - Low Setting 74.5°

Head Tube Angle - Low Setting 68.5°

Wheel Base 1115mm

Standover Height 728mm

Head Tube Height 120mm

Handlebar Width 640mm

Stem Length 90mm

Crank Length 175mm

Seatpost Length 350mm

#10 ·
My thought at the moment is to try them both out, and get whatever fits better. The obvious bargaining point on the larger bike would be that i could get a newer, better equipped version of the same bike with some extras for cheaper. I would probably aim for the price to settle in the 600-650 range.

How is the frame on these? I can always upgrade components, but the frame is the foundation of everything...

#11 · (Edited)
i just got an offer for a 2003 Intense Tracer for $900 with these specs:

Fox Float RL rear shock (with lockout) and a Fox Vanilla 125R front fork
NEW Deore wheels with WTB rims (black hubs, spokes and rims) (rim brake)
NEW Truvativ Stylo crank (black) and GXP botom bracket
NEW Shimano Hyperglide chain
XT M750 9-speed rapidfire levers
XT front derailleur (34.9 clamp, low clamp/top swing type)
XT rear derailleur
XT 9-speed cassette
silver Shimano SPD clipless pedals or dark grey Ritchey SPD clipless pedals
non-series Shimano v-brakes
GT Riser handlebar
Black stem
WTB Velociraptor folding bead tires (skinwall)
Thomson seatpost

worth considering?

#12 ·
This is where you would be going back and forth if you were buying a bike at a shop because you fall between the two sizes. A woman who is 509 wouldnt have a problem or a guy with long legs. In that case you go with the smaller bike because of the shorter torso and reach. If you are a guy with short legs what the guys at the shop might call a "knuckle dragger" with long arms you need to go with the bigger bike and the longer reach. If your pant inseam is around 32 then the small bike will probably fit better if your inseam is around 30 or less then go with the big bike.

You still have some room to play with on the small bike even if you have short legs. The stem is pretty short so it could be lenthened. The bike is going to feel a little small because the effective top tube is 23.4 and my guess is you bike is around 23.8 plus it will probably have a shorter stem than your bike. I rode and raced a bike for about three years that was too small but with a longer stem it worked perfect. The worst case with the small bike is that after a year or so you decide its too small and you buy a larger frame. It wouldnt be very hard to swap all the parts over from one frame to another plus there are plenty of Stumpjumper frames listed on Ebay.

#14 ·
I think I still like the Stumpjumper better than the Intense. It looks like the seller of the Intense bought a new bike and swapped out the wheels and crankset. If the Intense is 2004 or newer and is 18 inch size range it might be worth taking a look at. I think the two Stumpjumpers would feel lighter and on a trail test would come out ahead. The intense is a little longer travel and maybe not quite the race bike.

#15 ·
I just looked and I think the Tracer is probably dated with the rim brakes. It might be 2002-2003. The fork might need to be rebuilt or maybe should be rebuilt. The Fox fork is nice though. Push Industries is where a lot of Fox forks get rebuilt. Test ride the bikes.

#16 ·
from the guy: "All the rear pivots have new bearings, the fork was just rebuilt with new bushings, oil and seals by a Fox-certified technician and the rear shock was inspected and the oil changed by that same technician. The frame and fork have disc caliper bosses, but I never has a disc wheelset to go with it so I kept it rim brakes."

#17 ·
2003 was the last year Intense had the four bar suspension which is the same as the Stumpjumper. Back then Giant, Ellsworth, Intense, Turner, Titus and others were licensed by Specialized. The only real downside on the bike looks to be the slightly heavy wheels and the crankset while decent doesnt have the "bling" of what you might expect on a Tracer. This bike was a lot of money 6 years ago. Best thing is to check the bikes out. People who ride a lot can have some stuff like rear derailleurs, brakes and shifters that while serviceable are a long way from being new. Take a park chain checking tool with you and check for chain stretch. That will tell you something about maintenance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.