mtbr member

New question here. Is this a good deal? Santa Cruz Blur

Hey guys I'm on the market for a good used bike and I found this one guy who said he would sell me a Santa Cruz Blur 2006 with the follow specs

"It has all XTR gears and brakes. Fox fork 100mm with Terra Logic rear Fox locout shocks

Cross Max SL wheels Chris King headset"

He claims it cost him $5000 new.

He's asking for $2200 for the bike, what do you guys think is this a legit price?
    "The eyes are the windows into the brain" -Timothy Leary

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    To be honest it is going to depend on where you are located and what condition the components and frame are in.

I paid $1000 for a 2005 Superlight with a '08 Fox F100 fork and an RP23 rear shock in addition to a non-lockout PUSH'd rear shock, Chris King headset, X-9 rear, XT front, X0 twist shifters, Hayes Carbon brakes, and Spynergy wheels.

This was a good deal because of the condition of the fork and the wheelset which if bought new would cost as much as the entire bike. The rear derailleur was an older model and the twist shifters were too, so they were replaced immediately and the handlebars and stem needed to be replaced too.

I got such a good deal because the guy didn't really know what he had. Plus I live in an area where not many used bikes are bought or sold so there isn't much of a market for them so sellers have to charge less if they want to get rid of their bike.

Sorry for the novel.
    Long story short:
    -check everything for wear
    -do some research on the new cost of the parts and frame
    -check prices for other comparable bikes in your area
    -look at the bike and figure out how much money you're going to be putting into it and see if it fits your budget

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    $2200 could get you a brand new pretty nice say Trek EX8 with warranty.

Just sayin.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It certainly doesn't sound like a bad deal...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahlensguy
    $2200 could get you a brand new pretty nice say Trek EX8 with warranty.

Just sayin.
    However, there is this to consider ^^^. I ride an EX8, and I love it. But, the Blur and EX bikes are pretty different...you're talking 5 inch trail bike versus 4 inch...well, I actually don't know, but I'd guess the Blur is geared more towards a race bike than a trail bike. So, apples to oranges.

What kind of bike are you looking for? And the warranty thang is appealing as well

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    No way..too much money in today's market. I just picked up a 2008 V10 yesterday for $1500.

Check out this one:

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/507787/

talked to the guy, seems pretty legit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've seen brand new 2008 Rocky Mountain Element 50s locally for $1650.

Touph to beat if looking for a XC rig.

mtbr member
    I think its a little high on the price so I think its legit. Being that its three years old it would have to have light use and the crankset would have to be XTR 970 with an xtr cassette and some decent hydraulic brakes. If it had all that and was really mint it might be worth $2200. With 960 cranks or something less, cheap cassette and normal wear maybe $1700 but I would be looking really close at the parts.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty much looking for an ultimate XC full suspension bike with around 4" front and rear, so the only two bikes I'm really considering at this point are a SC super light or a SC blur. Lightness is a must.
    "The eyes are the windows into the brain" -Timothy Leary

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What about a Giant Anthem? http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/2270/32153/

4" FS race bike...maybe find a closeout '09 for a few hundred less?

mtbr member
    Ultimate XC? With just two bikes to look at it ends up being a pretty thin list when you start looking at used bikes off Craigslist. The Specialized Epic and Giant Anthem have probably taken more people to the podium than either the Blur or Superlight and there are more of them out there. If you are going to stay with one of the smaller brands like SC you might also consider the Ellsworth Truth and Titus Racer-X. As mentioned a new Anthem at a discount could be quite competitive with the Blur.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamim
    I'm pretty much looking for an ultimate XC full suspension bike with around 4" front and rear, so the only two bikes I'm really considering at this point are a SC super light or a SC blur. Lightness is a must.
    It sounds like a nice bike and may be worth looking at, but you should keep in mind that frame warranties generally do not apply to used bikes. (If I spend a lot of money on a bike, I want a warranty...)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    SC only has a 2 year warranty, anyway. (frame, that is)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I would not think of the Santa Cruz Blur as the ultimate XC
    bike. There are way to many other bikes out there. If it were
    me I'd ride as many different bikes as I could before I made up
    my mind. Another outstanding XC bike is the Yeti ASR.

Best, John