mtbr member

Gimme a link to the best, unbiased, description of the different type of rear susp's

Wikipedia's is terrible.

Anyone have a good link that is fairly unbiased and gives details of each. Preferable with roughly the same amount of info on each.

TIA
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    DW-Link FTW!

J/k. I don't think you can find such an article. You can't go to the mfg's site due to marketing bias, and also they don't have any moving pictures to show you how the links works.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I remember reading someone discuss the pros and cons of the different types of rear suspension on singletracks.com. I thought they did a pretty good job being objective about it...you could probably find the forum if you searched that website.

There's no app for this.

not that many to digest

and not that hard to comprehend...

Most bikes are 4 bar - parallelograms - with shocks to damp the travel/compression, and they vary by leverage ratios. Included are Horst link, VPP, Maestro, and so on.

Then you have your single pivot bikes (fixed chain stay arm from the BB to rear axle) like Santa Cruz's' Heckler. Included are Faux bar bikes like most Konas, and while they call themselves 4 bar which is right if you count pivots, there's still that fixed rear chain stay swing arm = single pivot.

There are variations on the above like TREKs new rear axle pivoty thingy (I forget their marking name) and there are "floating shocks" and such, and Salsa addresses it by having a carbon rear chain stay that flexes 5" or so. I left out Maverick's and Sevens' vertical shock design, I don't know that much about it and it isn't exactly taking the market by storm.

In essence, you've got parallelogram or single pivot.

Jim

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    In essence, you've got parallelogram or single pivot.

Jim
    It's the variations of the parallelogram that get confusing. Sometimes its hard to see how it works when not in motion in a picture.