mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Giant Yukon FX vs Haro Shift R1

I currently have a Trek 4300 disc that I am fairly happy with. However, I do have kind of a bad back/neck that always gets sore during/after rides. I was thinking that a FS bike would help relieve some of the back and neck issues due to a softer ride. I am trying to find something under $ 1,000. These are the two that I am down to. Giant Yukon FX or the Haro Shift R1. I don't know enough about components to figure which has the best setup. HELP!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Both are nice rides for the $, but if it were me I'd go with the Giant, IMO just a better suspension design. My riding bud has had one two years, and it's been a Great bike, it already comes with a really decent air shock, which is a plus, and the dart forks are much better then they used to be. Good luck, in that price range you won't find a better, more upgradable FS frame then the FX, plus it comes with a lifetime warranty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The haro has 120mm and 4.5" of travel. The giant has 100mm and 4.0" of travel. Will this difference be noticeable on mostly packed dirt singletrack/XC riding? Also, can anyone speak to the components on these bikes it's hard to compare because one has shimano and the other SRAM. Which has the better set-up?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Hope Can I throw one more bike into the mix?

How does the Motobecane 700DS compare to the Haro and Giant? Sorry to complicate things. Thanks a bunch!

mtbr member
    i have a giant yukon fx and i love it, choosing between the giant and the haro, id go wit the giant, component wise the bikes are comparable, iv allwasy use shimano on my previous bikes, and i must say that i like the sram system much better, the push-push shifters are a lil weird at first, but i got used to it 1hr into my first ride.

between the giant the the motobecane its a lil tricky, since the moto is slighty better specd for less money, if it was me and i was to consider between the giant and a motobecane, and buying both new, i would buy this http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...mcomp_ds08.htm for a lil more than the giant, you get a lot of bike for the money, with the tora fork and ario 2.1 ( maybe not the best shock in the world but better that a cheap house brand coil shock) avid juice 3 disk, and shimano xt rear derrailure, and IMHO a better suspesion desing than the 700 ds ( i find that a single pivot suspension is to bobby for my XC type riding)

if i would have bouhgt my giant new, i most likely would have bought the moto fantom comp ds, but i got the giant cause i got a killer deal on a well cared, barely riden used 09 yukon fx

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That motobecane Brujo recommends is very nicely spec for the $, I've bought 2 bikes online, 1 was a good experience the other a warranty nightmare. I've never ordered from bikesdirect, so I don't know, IMO stay away from the single pivot designs they just don't work as well. I would look around as much as possible at your LBS, I've heard of people scoring leftover 09 Specialized fsr xc comps for a grand, see if any shops around you carry KHS, usually alot of bike for the $. Good luck, if you still end up with the FX, doubt you'll regret it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCain
    see if any shops around you carry KHS, usually alot of bike for the $. Good luck, if you still end up with the FX, doubt you'll regret it.
    I agree you wont be dissapointed with the yukon it is a great bike, i had a chance to buy a trance frame to upgrade mine, and decided against it and i dont regret it at all.

all im saying if it was my money, and i was gonna drop $900 for the yukon, spend the extra $100 for the motobecane
    2009 Giant Yukon FX