mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Giant XTC1 08 or 09 model

My LBS has new 08's and 09's. These are priced without pedals since I recently purchased the M520's.

XTC 08 - $800 (red) http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...llections_id=3
    XTC 09 - $900 (blue) http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...in/2342/32139/

Just for comparison, they also had a 09 Trance X3 for $1600.

They are also offering 12 months free financing.

Both bikes rides identical since they are practically the same. Is there a better value here? Are there any parts that were upgraded on the 09 that would make a difference?

Thanks.
    Last edited by JohnDoe5; 08-24-2009 at 04:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would go for the '08. Better value. They didn't really change much from '08 to '09. If anything, they would have either downgraded parts and kept prices the same, or just raised prices and kept the parts the same. They felt like they were getting hit with higher material costs, so decided to do something to pass the buck on.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Here are the exact differences. Would anyone else like to weigh in? Thanks!

..........................2009.................... ......................2008
    ....fork:..........Marzocchi 22LO..........................Marzocchi MZ race
    brakes:.........Shimano M486 160F/160R............Hayes Stroker Ryde Disc, 6" Rotor
    .levers:..........Shimano M486............................Hayes
    ...rims:..........Mavic XM 117 Disc......................WTB Dual Duty XC, double wall

They have the 09 in L(20) and the 08 in L(20) and XL(22).

I'm 6'1 and currently ride a 21.5 Yukon.
    Last edited by JohnDoe5; 08-25-2009 at 09:11 AM.

There's no app for this.

another major difference...

there's a $250 diff in MSRP from 08 to 09.

This might help,

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/S...=24250b+16912b

The key for me would be the fork though, the 08 MX is an OK fork but not great, and i cannot comment on the 09 LO fork, I have no experience with it.

Not sure what if anything you want to do with the Trance, but the Trance has a rep for being one of the very best trail bike designs out there.

Jim

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I think I like the idea of a lighter bike vs the FS for where I ride.

Anybody else know the difference in these parts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    there's a $250 diff in MSRP from 08 to 09.

This might help,

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/S...=24250b+16912b

The key for me would be the fork though, the 08 MX is an OK fork but not great, and i cannot comment on the 09 LO fork, I have no experience with it.

Not sure what if anything you want to do with the Trance, but the Trance has a rep for being one of the very best trail bike designs out there.

Jim
    Well I was about to buy the XTC 08 at the LBS when I asked him to weigh my bike and the XTC. My bike came in at 29.9, which is what I expected. But the XTC only came in at 29.5. I thought I read this bike was suppose to be 25 lbs stock.

So I was asking myself why I am spending $800 for a bike that is no lighter then my current bike when it's working just fine. I decided not to pull the trigger and left without a new bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe5
    I think I like the idea of a lighter bike vs the FS for where I ride.

Anybody else know the difference in these parts?

Heck, if the XTC is coming in at 29 lbs, I bet the Trance X3 maybe lighter than that..??

$1600 is a decent price.....my lbs quoted me $1550 for one of their 09 TX3's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    It was strange...

the XTC Large was 29.9 and the XTC XL was 29.5. They were trying to figure out why the XL was lighter. lol

I did ask them to weigh the Trance X3, but it was only a Med and the only one they had. It weighed 29.8. I rode the medium - it was a sweet ride but a little small for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well, if you're bike is working fine, then that's cool. Just don't let weight alone be a deciding factor.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.