seatpost Race Face Evolve XC, 350x30.9
    rims Mavic XM 117
    hubs Shimano Deore disc, 32h.
    tires Hutchinson Python AirLight, wire 26x2.0
    cassette SRAM PG 950 11-34T, 9-speed
    spokes Stainless 15G front, 14G rear
    pedals Shimano PD-M520

Gary Fisher Hoo Kee E Koo ($1495)
    FramePlatinum Series ZR9000 internally and externally butted aluminum | Genesis Geometry

WheelsAlloy Disc QR hubs | Bontrager Maverick w/ OSB rear | Bontrager ACX 26x2.2 folding tires

SuspensionRockShox Pilot SL / Motion Control | 100mm travel

ComponentryShimano LX SGS rear derailleur + LX shifters + LX front derailleur | Bontrager Select 44/32/22 crank | Shimano 420 V brakes w/Avid FR5 levers | Shimano M505 clipless pedals

Color(s)Ice Blue

All prices in Canadian dollars.

Which one do think is the best buy? I am not conerned about the difference in price just looking for the best package.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

JG

Hoopy Frood

Buy the one that fits you better

You didn't provide any information about your age, weight, experience, riding style, local terrain, goals for the bike, other bikes you have/had, etc. Based on all those details, my answer might be very different.

So, based on parts spec and frame alone:

Neither of these bikes is much different component-wise. I believe both manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty on the frame. The XTC frame is probably a little lighter and more race-ready but the HKEK wouldn't be too far behind.

The main difference is their geometry. The Fisher has Genesis geometry - longer top tube, shorter chainstays. Some people love it, some people hate.

The XTC geometry is different - compare the geometry charts and you'll see what I mean.

Ride both and see which one you like better. I can't imagine they will feel the same at all.

- khill
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    As much as I like Fishers, I would say neither. I would strongly suggest you check out some steel hardtails at your price. Jamis makes the Exile and Dakata, Marin makes some also.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Barneys Unite!

Can't speak to the Giant,

but I dearly love my Hoo Koo. It's light and has good components, and mine (2004) was only $850.00 US.

I did not find the Genesis geometry hard to get used to, but it certainly feels different the first few times you climb (and it climbs very well).

An aluminum frame hard tail will beat you up more than a steel frame hard tail, so you have to consider if the light weight is worth it.

Good luck!

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Out of those two..

Hands down, the Giant.

Compare the parts spec, and the price, and the giant shines. The Duke is a much better fork(still not great tho... I want to get a fox).

But with that being said, follow the others adivce, look into a Steel hardtail(Alu really does have a harsh ride to it..), and go for the one that fits you better

Live 4 2day
    [QUOTE=khill]You didn't provide any information about your age, weight, experience, riding style, local terrain, goals for the bike, other bikes you have/had, etc. Based on all those details, my answer might be very different.

Some more details: 5' 10", weigh 175#, and will be mostly riding this bike on the road. MY back is not as good as it used to be and I need the upright style of a mountain bike versus a road bike. I will log about 1000 miles every 2 months minimum as a base. I will occassionally get off-road when the buddies bug me to go.

So my primary concern with the bike is comfort; being able to ride it for 3-4 hours on the road.

A cross bike is out as well. MY current rig is a Giant.

Any more advice is appreciated.

JG