mtbr member

Giant Warp DS 2 / DS3 Questions !

So looking for a warp for my first FS bike. Have 2 that i am looking at purchasing used.
    One is about 300$ and its a DS2 and another is a DS3 and is only 250$. The DS 3 (see photo) has a dent in the back on the bottom bracket, is this going to cause future problems ? Also the DS3 is a 16.5" but the seller is about my height and says it fits him great. The DS2 is a meduim size.
    I been told a 17" Jamis is the right fit when i was looking at those. I am 6'0" tall..
    Do you think that the dent is a big deal ? and what about the size ??
    Attached Images Attached Images

ballbuster

Sounds good...

Quote Originally Posted by hellaskier
    So looking for a warp for my first FS bike. Have 2 that i am looking at purchasing used.
    One is about 300$ and its a DS2 and another is a DS3 and is only 250$. The DS 3 (see photo) has a dent in the back on the bottom bracket, is this going to cause future problems ? Also the DS3 is a 16.5" but the seller is about my height and says it fits him great. The DS2 is a meduim size.
    I been told a 17" Jamis is the right fit when i was looking at those. I am 6'0" tall..
    Do you think that the dent is a big deal ? and what about the size ??
    ... but be warned that Warps pedal like krapp uphill. The oldschool singlepivot design and slack seat angle makes it bob like crazy. I have a bud with one, and he has to walk just about everything, and not because he is out of shape. A lockout shock or SPV/Propedal kinda shock would help a bunch.

I don't think the dent will cause any issues. Also keep in mind that the inch measurements of frames are not standardized. I have one bike that is a 16" and a Giant that is 19.5" and they are practically the same size. Ride it and see if it fits you.

Don't buy a bike just because it is a good deal. If it does not fit you or dont' like it for other reasons, you'll never ride it, and that will be $300 wasted.

mtbr member
    Completely agree, if its not what you want, then its never a "good deal". I have done my research and think this is the right bike for me. I have a 10 yr old rigid fork right now, just started riding and am completely hooked. Want something to start with but don't want the frame to break on me !
    I read about the bobbing uphill in the reviews of the bike and seems there are some things that can be adjusted to make it better.
    thanks!

Dead Sailor
    Mar 2004
    I am 5'10" and ride a newer Warp DS-2 feel that a 16.5 could be too small for you. I find that the bob just means I had to learn to pedal in even circles or sit down and spin. May be my newer model is just set up better or something... One way or another I love the bike!

For that money it would be nice to upgrade to a better rear shock though.

JOSH
    Freeride: To ride and feel free... no matter what you do or where you do it isn't that what it is all about?

I just let one RIP

DS 2, certainly

With those as your choices, I would definitely go with the DS2 - you get a better component group for just $50 more. Plus, it will fit you better than the 16.5. I'm just under 6 feet, one inch and ride a 20.5 Warp DS 3, so the 16.5 would probably be way too small for you. heavy and bobby, so what. I can make it up most hills, very few I have to walk. Maybe the guy mentioned earlier who's in shape but can't get up hill just doesn't have good technique, I know it's taken me some time to learn good technique to get up the hills, but I can get up 'em now. The Warp is a great bike, and you won't go wrong for $300.

Clydesdale Warrior

Smile

Are you sure that is a dent in the chainstay? Think that may just be how the tube is shaped (for clearance with the crank), look at other Warp frames and they all have a small "dent" on the chainstay. If it is deeper than on other frames, then it may be a real dent on-top or near the designed dent, as long as it does not throw off the allignment of the frame (bends the whole tube), a small dint in that location should not make much durability difference. IMHO

My fiancÚ has a DS1 and she loves it. As long as you keep seated and "spin" in a low gear while climbing, you should not have any problems. (yes, it will bob like crazy if you stand and pound the pedals...but then any FS bike with no lockout or stable platform will) I beleive it is a great bike for the money!

Like the others said, make sure it fits before you buy. My fiancÚ is 6'1" has a 20.5" frame and it fits her perfectly. (if your only choice is the 16.5" or 18.5", go for the bigger one, the small one is probably way too small for you if you are 6')

Good luck.

sh0rty :P

mtbr member
    Thanks for your input everyone !