mtbr member
    May 2006

Giant Trance X4 or Santa Cruz Heckler XAM

Looking to upgrade to a full suspension trail/all mountain bike. Both bikes are basically the same price after tax/shipping. Which one do you think will climb better? Which do you think is better overall. Geometry is similar on both bikes. I've read good things about maestro suspension but don't know much about the Santa Cruz suspension. I can get the Giant from the LBS but I'm concerned about the Giant shock on the back. I can get the Santa Cruz online for a decent price but concerned about the 2 year warranty on the frame (compared to lifetime on giant) and the extra travel may not be needed. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    If you are going to be upgrading to a full suspension/all mountain bike then don't limit yourself to the Giant Trance X4 or a similar priced Heckler. Start with the Trance X3. I'm sure there are 2010 models marked down somewhere and at least you will get the 15mm qr and a much better spec for your money. Why upgrade to a dual suspension bike when you will find yourself wanting to upgrade the fork/wheels to take advantage of what the 15mm qr has to offer? You might think the extra $600 is a lot, but think of it this way. Your paying for the fork upgrade and getting a better drive train, brakes, rear shock and wheels for free!