guinness is good!

Giant Trance X4 or Kona Tanuki

Hello it has been a long time for me posting, but I would like to get folks opinion on these two bikes. First the Giant Trance X4 for around $1500 or the Kona Tanuki for around $1100. I have test ridden the Trance and absolutely love it. I've test ridden Trek, Specialized and out of them all the Trance felt perfect bone stock. I am test riding the Kona this Saturday, and I have always liked the frame and style of bike. Based off the price and stock compenents which bike would be the better purchase. I ride mostly single track, have been on a hard tail for over 15 years, i'm 5'11 and about 200LBs. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Both seem to be good bikes. I think fit and riding comfort would be the deciding factor here.

Hmm, have you thought about getting a hardtail bike?

mtbr member
    I just ordered a 2011 Trance X2.. I have a Kona Dawgma.. The Dawgma is kind of like the old school Tanuki.. As far as components, I upgraded all mine on my Kona. Not sure the weight of the Tanuki but my Dawgma(which I love and have ridden the sh*t out of) is a heavy frameset. Alot of Konas are to my knoweledge. They are tanks.. U cant break em.. But they are heavy. The Trance is a good bit lighter than my Kona and I cant wait to rip it up on my new Trance.. Maybe this helps?

mtbr member
    The nice thing about Giants is that they use the same frame across the line and just change the components, so while the X4 comes with some bottom barrel equipment, you're getting a light and well designed frame that you can build on.

Also, if you've ridden and love it, that seems to be the obvious choice then.

guinness is good!
    Quote Originally Posted by OdinZ View Post
    Both seem to be good bikes. I think fit and riding comfort would be the deciding factor here.

Hmm, have you thought about getting a hardtail bike?
    I really dont want this to turn into a "you should consider a hard tail..." topic. I have a very nice hardtail that I will keep, so lets leave it at that.

I dont have 4K to drop on a *****en ultra spec out bike. The Kona is on sale here, which if not would be around the price as the Trance. All I am asking is for comments on the bikes themselves. The Kona has 130MM fork and the Giant has 120MM. Plus I know I will be upgrading the components as they break or what have you..Out of the two for the price which one would be the better bike? After test riding the Giant I am leaning more towards it, but like I said I test ride the Kona this Saturday.
    thanks
    Fed

guinness is good!
    Quote Originally Posted by fireball_jones View Post
    The nice thing about Giants is that they use the same frame across the line and just change the components, so while the X4 comes with some bottom barrel equipment, you're getting a light and well designed frame that you can build on.

Yep that is what the guy at the local bike shop told me. Plus it seems the components are a tad bit better on the Trance. But, i really like the frame style of the Kona, and a lot of people up here ride Giants...And as things get older I will most likely upgrade parts. The Kona has 6" of front and rear travel and I think a better fork. I will have a better feel after saturday test ride though.

T.W.O.
    Trance of course, what kind if question is that

guinness is good!
    but why is my question

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by draaku View Post
    but why is my question
    Giant maestro is a proven design it works well on the climb and descend pedal lighter than its weight. You can later upgrade your components when needed.

I don't have anything bad to say about kona but my money would be on trance.

mtbr member
    Yep that is what the guy at the local bike shop told me. Plus it seems the components are a tad bit better on the Trance. But, i really like the frame style of the Kona, and a lot of people up here ride Giants...And as things get older I will most likely upgrade parts. The Kona has 6" of front and rear travel and I think a better fork. I will have a better feel after saturday test ride though.
    Pretty sure they are both 5 inch travel bikes

guinness is good!
    awesome! thanks mimi!

mtbr member

Smile

I really dont want this to turn into a "you should consider a hard tail..." topic. I have a very nice hardtail that I will keep, so lets leave it at that.

I dont have 4K to drop on a *****en ultra spec out bike. The Kona is on sale here, which if not would be around the price as the Trance. All I am asking is for comments on the bikes themselves. The Kona has 130MM fork and the Giant has 120MM. Plus I know I will be upgrading the components as they break or what have you..Out of the two for the price which one would be the better bike? After test riding the Giant I am leaning more towards it, but like I said I test ride the Kona this Saturday.
    thanks
    Fed
    I too am considering the giant trance ( but as my 1st fs) i currently ride a giant ht xtc2,,,,lol,,,,,i went to a really nice bike shop and they pushing me towards a company named norco ....the bike norco stryk ,,reason cause its a beefier buke for my lbs ....im 6'6....385lbs has anyone heard of the line or should i go giant

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I looooove my trance! I have the x4 and it is now upgraded to x2-ish spec. My wheelset is the low man on the pole.

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    I looooove my trance! I have the x4 and it is now upgraded to x2-ish spec. My wheelset is the low man on the pole.
    R u a big person/average weight whats ur take on longevity,,like i said before this would be my 1st fs bike ,,so not really sure how to pick ,,,i do know i wont be able to just buy another if i dont like purchased ........lol ..was looking for a lil guidance ....thanks everyone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DABIGSEAT View Post
    I too am considering the giant trance ( but as my 1st fs) i currently ride a giant ht xtc2,,,,lol,,,,,i went to a really nice bike shop and they pushing me towards a company named norco ....the bike norco stryk ,,reason cause its a beefier buke for my lbs ....im 6'6....385lbs has anyone heard of the line or should i go giant
    Nothing wrong with Norco, and at 385lbs, you'd destroy a Giant Trance. I too would suggest you go with some sort of coil suspension.

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by fireball_jones View Post

Hey thanks for the REAL advice,, yea thats just the thing im big so i need a sturdy bike but never ever heard of norco

T.W.O.
    Hey thanks for the REAL advice,, yea thats just the thing im big so i need a sturdy bike but never ever heard of norco
    Yeah you'd probably want to post the question on the clysdesdale forum too. They should be able to give you more option/brands that would work well with 350+lbs and 6'5"+ height.

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Yeah you'd probably want to post the question on the clysdesdale forum too. They should be able to give you more option/brands that would work well with 350+lbs and 6'5"+ height.
    L.M.A.O ......U GOT JOKES ....i like dat

T.W.O.
    L.M.A.O ......U GOT JOKES ....i like dat
    I'm glad you find that amusing but it was not meant to be a joke. There's a forum on this site called clyde/tall rider they would know and/or experience similar issue specific to the issue in question.

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    I'm glad you find that amusing but it was not meant to be a joke. There's a forum on this site called clyde/tall rider they would know and/or experience similar issue specific to the issue in question.
    Yea i saw after i posted,,,still thought it was funny tho...loosing up lifes short,,,,anyway thank yoy very much for the help & direction

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am in the same boat - Trance X Vs Tanuki - Did you make a decision ? Just curious..

guinness is good!
    actually I'm going a different direction. I am seriously considering a Fezzari Cascade Peak.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Wow thats a big step up in price. The Abajo was on my list but with only 4 inches of travel it got cut. They are local to me so it seemed like a good thing.

The Giant is only available now in a Medium which I feel is a bit too big for me.

May just get the Tanuki and be done with it...

mtbr member
    I just went from a Kona Dawgma(similar design to Tanuki) to a Trance X2.... NO COMPARISON... TRANCE IS THE SHITE!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have a heavily modded 2011 trance x4 and I absolutely love it
    My buddy just bought a kona tanuki base model and it is a awesome riding bike very similar to my trance and is very plush.
    The kona has better or same components as my trance did and if I had to do it over again I'd probably get a tanuki. Not only because it seems to be a better bike but also because the kona lbs is now my primary lbs and they are great guys.
    Oh and the dark blue the kona comes in is so sexy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Oh my x4 is a x1++ by now lol

mtbr member
    Konas are heavy..

mtbr member
    DUDE, listen to someone who has owned a Kona, and is now in a Trance... NO comparison. Trance all day.

mtbr member
    Their have been issues in the past of Trance frames breaking where top tube meets seat post. My LBS staff steered me away from that bike and recommended other brands. If I had to have a Giant, they said get the Yukon FX and build up the component group. The Yukon has a different frame design at the seat post. If you are hard on bikes, or plan to be, Kona's are built very strong. I loved how Kona's ride, and their components are usually pretty good. Save the money and go with a Kona. Just my humble opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iamspartacus View Post
    Their have been issues in the past of Trance frames breaking where top tube meets seat post. My LBS staff steered me away from that bike and recommended other brands. If I had to have a Giant, they said get the Yukon FX and build up the component group. The Yukon has a different frame design at the seat post. If you are hard on bikes, or plan to be, Kona's are built very strong. I loved how Kona's ride, and their components are usually pretty good. Save the money and go with a Kona. Just my humble opinion.
    Past Trance frames broke due to the bent top tube... Just like the one the Tanuki has. Trance dont have that now for that very reason.

mtbr member
    I loved this bike... Very very much...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Trance X4 or Kona Tanuki-imag0607-1-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Until I got this bike... I'll always love my Kona... But it aint no Trance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Trance X4 or Kona Tanuki-photo-45-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Good stuff, not really a fair comparison from a Trance X2 to base Tanuki but glad you like the ride !

The problem is the X4 is only available in a Medium this late in the game for 2012 models which is an 18 inch frame, its just too tall for me.

Tanuki or back to thinking about a Fezzari at this point...

mtbr member
    Check for 2011 models... Thats what I did since there really is no change in the year. I got a new 2011 model x2 for 1900... Can only imagine what u could get an 2011 x4 for!

mtbr member
    chadalex78, what other bikes did you ride before you got the Trance? Why didn't you get another Kona?

mtbr member
    chadalex78, what other bikes did you ride before you got the Trance? Why didn't you get another Kona?
    I rode a that sweet looking Kona Dawgma that I dumped my piggie bank into in upgrades and what not... It was a fun bike, but it was HEAVY... A tank. Was gettin killed on climbs and the rear triangle is designed kinda funny as well.. Like I said, I loved my Kona. It was the first mountain bike I owned. The Trance however is night and day in weight, climbing ability, components, its plushness with the maestro suspension, and did I say weight? I lost like 6lbs in the transition... My Kona is for sell but Im debating on hanging it from the ceiling in my living room for memories... It got me into the game. But the Trance is making my riding more MVPish.

mtbr member
    I wanted a Kona, but there isn't a dealer near me. I looked at Cannondale, Giant and Scott. I think I am going to end up with the Scott. It fit and rode best, in my humble noob perspective.

T.W.O.
    I wanted a Kona, but there isn't a dealer near me. I looked at Cannondale, Giant and Scott. I think I am going to end up with the Scott. It fit and rode best, in my humble noob perspective.
    Scott have many nice bikes, which model did you try.

mtbr member
    I rode the Sparks and the Scales. The Scales were the 29er, the Sparks were 26 FS. Both rode very nice. Compared to the other brands I listed (besides Kona), they seems to have a little better grouping of components. Also, as I stated, their ride fit me as good, if not better then the rest.

T.W.O.
    I rode the Sparks and the Scales. The Scales were the 29er, the Sparks were 26 FS. Both rode very nice. Compared to the other brands I listed (besides Kona), they seems to have a little better grouping of components. Also, as I stated, their ride fit me as good, if not better then the rest.
    Scott and Cannondale were related at one point before the corporate take over They do share some unique trades on their bikes. The new longer travel Sparks look really good. I've never tried the new one but I rode the older 4" Spark it's an XC racing maching(definitely not my cup of tea.)

I owned the Ransom while I'm not a big fan of their traction control remote, the pull shock work surprisingly well and deliver some amazing plushness. I dome the 24lb Genius that was just unreal.

I do have a question about what you mentioned earlier about the Trance.
    The LBS that told you about the problem with Trance, are they the Giant dealer and they also carry Kona?

mtbr member
    They are a Giant dealer that also carries Cannondale and KHS. I don't have a Kona dealer anywhere......I just always wanted one from reading about them. Maybe oneday I will get a frame and build on myself.

T.W.O.
    I know many riders who ride Trance X and I have not heard about the toptube failure, in fact the tapered TT add more stiffness. I wonder how often people bring them back to that shop or just the case of the sales person read about one or a few incidents from the dealer rep and assumed that it's a major problem.

mtbr member
    I am not sure how they came about the information. I observed differences in frame design of many manufacturers, so I took all the information in and processed before I made my choice. The most important thing to me was the ride. Of course, how much can you really get a true feeling on when you on ride it in a parking lot, off curbs and on some nearby grass and dirt. The Trance did ride very nice, but it didn't really feel $500 better then the Yukon FX. The Scott rode just as nice as the Giants, but came in the middle in regards to pricing of the Giants. The Cannondale was almost 2 grand and out of my budget. It was a nice ride too. I was also close to just going with a 27.5 KHS to get on the cusp of a new trend, but am leary about not being able to ride the bike first. Choosing a bike is a lot harder then I remember as a kid. I always worry about buyers remorse.

T.W.O.
    I am not sure how they came about the information. I observed differences in frame design of many manufacturers, so I took all the information in and processed before I made my choice. The most important thing to me was the ride. Of course, how much can you really get a true feeling on when you on ride it in a parking lot, off curbs and on some nearby grass and dirt. The Trance did ride very nice, but it didn't really feel $500 better then the Yukon FX. The Scott rode just as nice as the Giants, but came in the middle in regards to pricing of the Giants. The Cannondale was almost 2 grand and out of my budget. It was a nice ride too. I was also close to just going with a 27.5 KHS to get on the cusp of a new trend, but am leary about not being able to ride the bike first. Choosing a bike is a lot harder then I remember as a kid. I always worry about buyers remorse.
    Giant often have demo day so ask your shop or contact Giant for the next one. Demo is much different than pariking lot test ride which pretty much only offer you the sense of fit and cockpit comfort. Demo ride, you'd get to take the bike out on the whatever trail they set the demo up, they'd sppend some time setting up the bike for you and off you go.

This way you can get a much better idea of how the bike perform on the trail over small bumps, climbs, corners, braking, descend and everything else you can think of on the trail. While I like the Yukon FX it's not even a close match performance on the trail. Trance can out performed FX on just about anything except price

Get some demo rides in before the purchase you'd be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Well, with the smokin deal I got ready for this Spark, I don't think I can wait a few months for a demo day. I guess I just cross my finger and hope for the best. With my budget, it is the Yukon or Scott. Guess I will got a 100 bucks more and take the higher end components. Thanks for all the advice.

mtbr member
    I'm a mountain bike noob looking at both the Tanuki Deluxe and the Trance X3.

I know nothing about mountain bike components so not sure which is better there... But both bikes are similarly priced. But I saw the Tanuki yesterday at the shop and thought it was off the chain cool. They didn't have a Trance in stock... So I'm just comparing based on seeing the Tanuki and looking at Giant's comparable model online.

mtbr member
    From another noobs perspective, strictly looking at components (as well as the knoweldge gained here), I would go with the Kona. It was less expensive from the MSRP, they are both 3x10, the Giant has both Fox suspension (but people say they sometimes need more maintenance), the Kona has a Kona/Rock Shox mix, both have Deore FD, but I like the Deore rear on the Kona better then the Sram X7. The biggest difference maker for me is the brakes. I see a lot of negative comments on the Avid 1 series. The Kona has the 5 series. IMHO, I would go KONA........and you are correct, it looks sexier!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0