Thread: Giant Thermo 1?

mtbr member
    May 2006

Giant Thermo 1?

Long time lurker, first time poster

After destroying my Huffy a few years ago with minor stunts such as wheelies, endos and 30cm jumps, I'm looking for a new bike. Nothing serious so just something to get me warmed up getting back into biking.

I've been wanting some opinions on the 2007 Giant Thermo 1.
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/...ain/169/22361/

Size: XS:14, S:17, M:19, L:21, XL:23, XXL:25
    Frame: ALUXX FluidFormed™ alloy disc w/integrated gusset
    Fork: Manitou Slate Comp 100mm w/TPC hydraulic lockout
    Rear derailleur: Shimano Deore high normal 8 speed
    Front derailleur: Shimano Alivio 34.9
    Shifters: Shimano Altus 24 speed EZ FIRE+
    Crankset: Shimano Alivio Octalink splined 22x32x42T
    Bottom bracket: Shimano Octalink splined cartridge
    Chain: KMC Z72 8 speed
    Cassette: Shimano HG30 8 speed 11-32T
    Brakes: Shimano M465 mechanical disc w/6" rotors
    Brake levers: Shimano V-brake
    Hubs Fr: Alloy disc | Rr: Shimano M475 8sp cassette disc
    Rims: Alloy double wall disc 26" x 32H
    Spokes: 14G stainless
    Tyres: Maxxis Highroller 26 x 2.1"
    Pedals: Alloy flat
    H.bar/stem: Alloy riser/Alloy ahead 15 degree
    Seat post: Alloy 30.9 micro-adjust
    Saddle: SDG Bel Air
    Grips: Giant kraton

It'll be used for city and trail/XC riding in and around Sydney. I'm fairly light 65kg/143lb and only 170cm/5'7" so I'm no monster lol. The bike will be about AU$800 after a discount from the LBS. So what do people think??

Also, has anyone used the Met Anaxagore II? There's a clearance sale on it for $139 from $199.

And lastly, what are the most likely things I'll be upgrading soon? Is there any need for BB7 brakes or Mallet C pedals, etc.?

Thanks in advance! It'll be much appreciated

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Say I got the following bits in a GRADUAL (lol) process of upgrading, would it be a waste??

Giant XTC 2 frame (on special for $299)
    RockShox Recon 351
    SRAM X.7 Rear Derailleur
    SRAM X-Generation front derailleur
    SRAM X.7 trigger shifter
    Avid Ball Bearing 7 brakes
    Crank Brothers Mallet C pedals

Thanks again!

Flying Goat
    looks like a pretty good entry level xc bike... As for upgrading, it would cost a lot more in the future if you buy parts one by one. Just buy the best bike you can afford right now and not have to worry about it...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I see what you mean because for all I know I could be happy with the original components

And I was looking at the possibility of buying separate parts and fitting them together in a custom build but the price would've gone into the few thousands. Although the LBS gives 10% discounts on parts and services for members.

For the time being the Thermo 1 is all I can afford, so that's what I'll be sticking to. The thought of upgrading is merely there because I can't afford a better bike at the moment lol.

What do people think of the parts anyways? And thanks for the reply

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You know what?

I might scale things up to the Giant Talon:
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/...ain/169/22429/

Colours: Gloss Grey + Matte Army Green
    Frame: ALUXX FluidFormed™ alloy w-integrated gusset & head tube
    Fork: Rockshox Tora 302 Coil w/remote hydraulic lockout, 100mm/4"
    Rear derailleur: Shimano Deore LX high normal 9 speed
    Front derailleur: Shimano Deore
    Shifters: Shimano Deore rapid fire 27 speed
    Crankset: Shimano M470 Hollowtech Octalink splined 22x32x44T
    Bottom bracket: Shimano Octalink splined cartridge
    Chain: Shimano HG53 9 speed
    Cassette: SRAM PG950 9 speed 11-34T
    Brakes: Hayes HFX-9 hydraulic w/6" rotors
    Brake levers: Hayes HFX-9 hydraulic
    Hubs: Fr: Formula disc | Rr: Shimano M475 9sp cassette disc
    Rims: Sun Rhyno Lite 26" x 32H w/eyelets
    Spokes: 14G stainless
    Tyres: Hutchinson Barracuda 26 x 2.1"
    Pedals: Shimano M505 SPD clipless
    H. bar/stem: Easton EA30 alloy low rise/Easton EA30 alloy
    Seat post: Easton EA30 alloy 30.9
    Saddle: SDG Bel Air w/cr-mo rail
    Grips: Giant lock-on

Thing is though, some of those parts I'm not sure I fancy.
    * Hayes HFX-9 6": I take it that these are the XC version and they haven't received better responses compared to the Avid BB7. Plus I rather mechs at the moment - easier repairing on the field and less finicky for me lol (still new to discs).
    * Hutchinson Barracuda 26 x 2.1": Are these the tubeless wheels? They look like a pain to repair whilst out on the trails.
    * Shimano PD-M505: Reviews and testemonials aren't so good either. I heard that Crank Bros. have greater float than the Shimanos. Does that mean they're easier on the joints?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by wind

Thing is though, some of those parts I'm not sure I fancy.
    * Hayes HFX-9 6": I take it that these are the XC version and they haven't received better responses compared to the Avid BB7. Plus I rather mechs at the moment - easier repairing on the field and less finicky for me lol (still new to discs).
    * Hutchinson Barracuda 26 x 2.1": Are these the tubeless wheels? They look like a pain to repair whilst out on the trails.
    * Shimano PD-M505: Reviews and testemonials aren't so good either. I heard that Crank Bros. have greater float than the Shimanos. Does that mean they're easier on the joints?
    The rim tire setup uses tubes.

The hayes 9s get mixed reviews. Ask lbs if they would swap to bb7 before leaving the shop.

Pedals, again, ask the LBS if they are willing to swap them. Although, if you are not riding in much mud the stock ones should not be too bad.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    The rim tire setup uses tubes.

The hayes 9s get mixed reviews. Ask lbs if they would swap to bb7 before leaving the shop.

Pedals, again, ask the LBS if they are willing to swap them. Although, if you are not riding in much mud the stock ones should not be too bad.
    Thanks for the reply

Yeah I'll ask the store about swapping the parts, although I doubt that I could get credit on them. Will have to see.

And about the forks, the specs say "Rockshox Tora 302 Coil w/remote hydraulic lockout" so does that mean it comes with the remote? The RS website says "PopLoc Remote Option" so I'm not sure if it comes as standard or merely as an add-on lol. Sorry if these are newby question Not that it really matter as I'm just curious.

Thanks again!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by wind
    And about the forks, the specs say "Rockshox Tora 302 Coil w/remote hydraulic lockout" so does that mean it comes with the remote? The RS website says "PopLoc Remote Option" so I'm not sure if it comes as standard or merely as an add-on lol. Sorry if these are newby question Not that it really matter as I'm just curious.

Thanks again!
    I can't tell you for sure, but the "w/remote hydraulic lockout" part seems to imply that it is included with the giant bike, although it is only an option if you buy the fork on its own.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Just called up the place and asked if I could credit the brakes and pedals and it's a no-go (the one with the 10% discount after a bike purchase).

However, I called up another LBS down the road and he said he'd happily swap the parts and take the price difference into account

Not so sure at the moment.

Option 1: Go to LBS #1, swap the parts (not getting credit) and sell the un-used bits. The Hayes do go for $380, whilst the BB7s are only $180.
    Option 2: Go to LBS #2 and get credit for the parts, whilst also saving on the price difference. This also means not getting any further discounts from the place, though I"ll see if I can strike up a deal of some sort for any future buys.

Will have to see lol. Thanks people!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I think my idea of having hydraulic brakes isn't quite so bad. I'll only be doing trail/XC riding so it's not likely that I'll crash out and damage them too badly. And they'll only need to be bled once every one to two years (or when they go soggy lol).

I wanted to get the Mallets because of the platforms, good mud clearance and all the other the benefits associated with eggbeaters, but I've heard that these Shimanos are relatively easy to clip in, even though they are entry level. There's not much rain here because of the drought we're going through for these past few years, so no water means no mud Besides, I don't really like riding after it rains as I don't want to carve up the trail.

Guess it'll be LBS #1 lol.