Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Giant or Specialized

12K views 55 replies 33 participants last post by  Trail_Blazer 
#1 ·
Hi,

Ive been looking around for a good full suspension bike and i think ive arrowed it down to 2 bikes

2012 specialized camber elite (green & black) £1450
Or
2013 giant trance x 29er 2 £1499

What do you guys think?

#35 ·
Out of the two, these days,I'd pick the Giant. I'm a Specialized guy too, to be honest.

I'll tell you why:

1. Specialized truly thinks they're the biggest badass of the bike industry, and they command prices now-a-days that are obscene in comparison to other bikes in their categories.

2. They really do bully their bike shops. I was looking to get a Cannondale for my next bike, out of my favorite LBS that USED TO carry Giant, Specialized, Cannondale, and several others including Ellsworth, Yeti, Pivot, etc. Specialized said they'd pull the dealer off their list unless they dropped BOTH Giant and Cannondale. The only reason my LBS complied, was because in snooty-ass Las Vegas that particular shop can move the most Specialized products across the floor, and actually bring a profit to keep their doors open.
(sad but true).

3. I've personally lost a LOT of respect for Specialized. They either offer bottom-of-the-barrel "entry" models, or everything worth a sh** costs $5,000 +. Its ludicrous.

4. Their freakin KIDS bikes cost the same amount now that my "entry level" Trek 4300 cost not 3 years ago.

I've since ridden a buddy's Giant Anthem, and another's Giant Trance X, and I'll tell you I was absolutely blown away by how they rode. I was thoroughly impressed.

Give them a shot.

.... I'll continue on my quest to purchasing a Cannondale Claymore for 2013. :thumbsup:

#36 ·
Out of the two, these days,I'd pick the Giant. I'm a Specialized guy too, to be honest.

I'll tell you why:

1. Specialized truly thinks they're the biggest badass of the bike industry, and they command prices now-a-days that are obscene in comparison to other bikes in their categories.

:thumbsup:
I aggree with you on that. Specialized are the "Intel" of the bike market. However, that allows for a good discount. I got my $1650 Carve for $1320, which enabled me to upgrade to TX trail and Ice Tech with XT shifters for about $400. This brings my total to about $1700 for a nice bike. Giant is a great brand as is Cannondale. Ride what you feel fits you better. Price is not a huge deal on a investment as long as you enjoy your ride.

Mark

#38 ·
similar dilemma

, I have a dilemma, I am a beginner and looking at a full sus bike for around £1000, I have two ideas at the moment and I would appreciate any comments from any more experienced riders. The two bikes are;

2012 Giant Trance X4 or Diamondback Sortie 1

Any ideas?....

Many thanks from a confused newbie!

Graeme

#39 ·
Get the Giant I'm a Spesh guy also, but my sons been racing Giant Anthems lately and I wrench them and love the way they feel, a suspension that doesn't need propedal for sure, I'm dumping my stumpy for a Trance first chance I get...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

#43 ·
Lot of giant and spec riders where i live. I ride a trance. I bought an x4 and upgraded the drivetrain and fork to fox and have fallen in love. Giant is also way more bike for the money as opposed to spesh.

Trance is the funnest bike i have ever ridden. I wanted an anthem29 and demoed my buddies. Loved the speed and the big wheels but it just wasnt as fun as my trance.

Trance all the way
Giant all the way

#48 ·
One of my first high end bikes was a 2001 GIANT NRS 1 that I built up, I loved that bike, For only 3.25" travel it was a great ride. The unfortunate fact was that GIANT stopped supporting the frame after a few years, and it was impossible to get the necessary cheap suspension parts to fix the worn out chainstay bushings that needed replacing yearly.

So , in 2004, I bought a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. No problems with parts because there are no bushings. Broke the shock link on it after 4 years, and got a new one (with a bigger shock bolt) in a few days no problems. And haven't had a different brand since, although I have been tempted to try IBIS Mojo and PIVOT 5.7.

But I won't ever buy another GIANT bike. One big fail on GIANTs part and they lost me as a customer forever. I can't be induced to go back.

#49 ·
New to site was looking for some advice I can not purchase a new mtb cost wise is killing me but found one on Craigslist it's a rocky mountain element I have no model # or date of when he purchased it it has dual suspension fox shocks grey in color with black maple leaves on it tried finding something about it online not much there was wondering if anybody have ridden these and what you thought of it , they are askingf $700 any help would be much appreaciated , thanks for your time Ray

#54 ·
After having Giant Trance X 2013, I wish I have bought a Specialized endure. Overdrive 2 is a headache for those who want to upgrade or replace their broken fork suspension, since it uses non-standard diameter.

Specialized bike are easier to purchase after market parts.

#55 ·
Not anymore they're not. Most manufacturers are going to proprietary parts for a lot of this. Specialized is doing it with their rear shock linkages on a lot of models, and shock specific sizing only for their frames.

Just ask the Specialized Enduro guys what they've gone through when they go to replace or repair their rear shocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.