Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Giant or Specialized

12K views 55 replies 33 participants last post by  Trail_Blazer 
#1 ·
Hi,

Ive been looking around for a good full suspension bike and i think ive arrowed it down to 2 bikes

2012 specialized camber elite (green & black) £1450
Or
2013 giant trance x 29er 2 £1499

What do you guys think?

#3 ·
Giant trance any day of the week, its Maestro sus is the factor that gets my vote, not to mention that ive never really heard a bad word about it and is a great bike to ride.
Try them both and see which one takes your fancy, but theres only one id pick, cheers

#5 ·
Ive compared the components on the specialized to a lt of other bikes in its price range and they seem to be very good at its price?
How do the giants components stack up against the specialized?
(I dont know loads about the technical parts of bikes hense im on here ;))

#6 ·
Mate look up the giant website, it will have a full rundown of the specs, and post this blog in the giant sub forum here and/or ask the guys in that forum about the bike and do the same for the spec in the spec forum, that way you can make a more informed decision, research is very important.

#8 ·
There isn't any part on either bike that makes me say that one is automatically a better deal than the other. Which means the only reason to pick one over the other is that you like riding it. This is, of course, complicated by the fact you can't find the Giant to test ride. Are there any other Giant dealers within a reasonable distance of you that you might be able to find one to test ride? If not, well you'll have to make a decision and all the internet opinions in the world won't be able to tell you for sure which one to buy.

Hopefully this may ease your mind: both are amazing bikes and it would be hard to go wrong.

#9 ·
Thanks, I've emailed all the dealers on the giant website within a decent range of where I live and some aren't stocking till next year and others and stocking at all.
Although a few of the bike shops do have alternative giant full sus like the
2013 giant trance x3 and a few anthems.

If the components are just as good as each other I guess it's down to how it feels to ride like you said and the looks if the the 2 bikes

Eurghhh I've been looking to long haha, just want to get one if them they both look amazing (in my opinion) and I'm sure they both ride well...

#12 ·
One thing to keep in mind in Giant's stellar warranty on the frame. Lifetime, and they mean it. I had an 04 NRS frame that I destroyed a few months back and Giant sent me a new Anthem X frame as a replacement. No questions. Granted, I'll need to build this new one up, but I doubt that in the event of a breakage you'd get the same from Specialized.

#15 ·
Spec and giant have just slightly different sizes, i do prefer the maestro suspension but both are great bikes. Both are from massive massive companies, with many many dealers and lots of customer support and years in the industry.

I am partial to Giant, but i would jump on a specialized bike and ride it like it was stolen any day. I mean if i wasnt afraid of my bike becoming insecure and killing me next time i rode it. lol

oh wow, the camber is 120mm travel... these bikes are pretty damn close

being that its a year old and a good price i think the suspension package on the camber is a little bit better, but i think the suspension system on the giant is better.

#17 ·
I would aay go with the Giant but i am bias as I ride a giant reign 1, but if you have ride the specialized and are happy about it then get it as it seems there ain't any giant dealer lbs near you.. So when it comes to servicing and stuff it could be a pain not having a shop near you.

#19 ·
Im kinda shocked, where i am the new trance x 29ers was the first thing put together and in the window.

Where is it your riding?, i know south of where i am its really steep and rocky and the 29ers never rally took off. But north of where i ride they are hugely popular due to the riding style.

When i go into a new area usually the bikes the store is stocking is a hint to the riding styles.

#21 ·
maybe give a call to a giant dealer thats in the next town or city over and see if they have one you can test ride of demo for an afternoon.

Both bikes are more then ideal for the type of riding your describing. Long travel 29ers will rush down hill and both climb well enough.

#31 ·
1) Don't get a brain bike
2) Avoid avid brakes
3) That's pretty much it.

I realize many shops DO NOT allow test rides (on trails) just farting around in the parking lot. SO finding the right fit without spending a ton of money is important, as you will likely not get a new one every year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.