Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Had a test ride one the trance today, think I'm going with it

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Lstafford View Post
    Had a test ride one the trance today, think I'm going with it
    See why the test ride is so important? Just remember that you can't go wrong if you buy whatever bike you like the most.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ye I was definitely going to ride before I buy it was just a pain to find a shop that was actually stocking it :P

mtbr member
    I prefer the way the FSR suspension works, also the Specialized bikes tend to have shorter chain stays and lower bb which allows for better handling. Just my pennies worth.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I had a Reign 2009 and I have to say the maestro is best suspension system Ive tried.
    Id go for a giant but its kinda ugly looking the camber looks better.

And what about: Commencal meta 29er and Canyon Nerve AL29

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    1) Don't get a brain bike
    2) Avoid avid brakes
    3) That's pretty much it.

I realize many shops DO NOT allow test rides (on trails) just farting around in the parking lot. SO finding the right fit without spending a ton of money is important, as you will likely not get a new one every year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    test them both yo

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    2) Avoid avid brakes

ive been told that avid brakes are one of the best for affordable prices

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jxpowers View Post
    ive been told that avid brakes are one of the best for affordable prices
    It's hit or miss. If you know how to maintain the Avids, they usually hold up. Otherwise the pads drag or the cylinders get stuck a little too often.

(FYI - I have Avids and I'm waiting for my Shimano Saints to arrive - tired of all the excessive maintainence on the avids).

-S

mtbr member
    Out of the two, these days,I'd pick the Giant. I'm a Specialized guy too, to be honest.

I'll tell you why:

1. Specialized truly thinks they're the biggest badass of the bike industry, and they command prices now-a-days that are obscene in comparison to other bikes in their categories.

2. They really do bully their bike shops. I was looking to get a Cannondale for my next bike, out of my favorite LBS that USED TO carry Giant, Specialized, Cannondale, and several others including Ellsworth, Yeti, Pivot, etc. Specialized said they'd pull the dealer off their list unless they dropped BOTH Giant and Cannondale. The only reason my LBS complied, was because in snooty-ass Las Vegas that particular shop can move the most Specialized products across the floor, and actually bring a profit to keep their doors open.
    (sad but true).

3. I've personally lost a LOT of respect for Specialized. They either offer bottom-of-the-barrel "entry" models, or everything worth a sh** costs $5,000 +. Its ludicrous.

4. Their freakin KIDS bikes cost the same amount now that my "entry level" Trek 4300 cost not 3 years ago.

I've since ridden a buddy's Giant Anthem, and another's Giant Trance X, and I'll tell you I was absolutely blown away by how they rode. I was thoroughly impressed.

Give them a shot.

.... I'll continue on my quest to purchasing a Cannondale Claymore for 2013.
    Rigs:
    Specialized Rockhopper HT
    Trek 6500 HT
    Trek 3700 Disc HT (The son's)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHit-Maniac View Post
    Out of the two, these days,I'd pick the Giant. I'm a Specialized guy too, to be honest.

I'll tell you why:

1. Specialized truly thinks they're the biggest badass of the bike industry, and they command prices now-a-days that are obscene in comparison to other bikes in their categories.

I aggree with you on that. Specialized are the "Intel" of the bike market. However, that allows for a good discount. I got my $1650 Carve for $1320, which enabled me to upgrade to TX trail and Ice Tech with XT shifters for about $400. This brings my total to about $1700 for a nice bike. Giant is a great brand as is Cannondale. Ride what you feel fits you better. Price is not a huge deal on a investment as long as you enjoy your ride.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Giant with the Maestro would get my vote for sure. You can replace parts, not suspension design. FSR ain't bad, Maestro is just better.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

similar dilemma

, I have a dilemma, I am a beginner and looking at a full sus bike for around 1000, I have two ideas at the moment and I would appreciate any comments from any more experienced riders. The two bikes are;

2012 Giant Trance X4 or Diamondback Sortie 1

Any ideas?....

Many thanks from a confused newbie!

Graeme

mtbr member
    Get the Giant I'm a Spesh guy also, but my sons been racing Giant Anthems lately and I wrench them and love the way they feel, a suspension that doesn't need propedal for sure, I'm dumping my stumpy for a Trance first chance I get...
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    I just went through this same dilemma... I went with the giant trance x1 29er. Love the bike!!!!!

Spearman
    Jun 2012
    Giant Trance hands down

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    2) Avoid avid brakes

I realize many shops DO NOT allow test rides (on trails) just farting around in the parking lot. SO finding the right fit without spending a ton of money is important, as you will likely not get a new one every year.
    1. Why no brain?
    2. Agreed, they squeal.
    3. No comment.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Lot of giant and spec riders where i live. I ride a trance. I bought an x4 and upgraded the drivetrain and fork to fox and have fallen in love. Giant is also way more bike for the money as opposed to spesh.

Trance is the funnest bike i have ever ridden. I wanted an anthem29 and demoed my buddies. Loved the speed and the big wheels but it just wasnt as fun as my trance.

Trance all the way
    Giant all the way

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Always try both bikes before deciding anything, that seems to be the best policy to me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    1. Why no brain?
    2. Agreed, they squeal.
    3. No comment.
    Better test one before you buy one on a piece of technical climb that you are familiar with. If you know anyone with a Brain bike of the right size try it. But for all around trail riding I personally prefer a very active suspension set correctly for my weight.

I want small to large bump compliance at all speeds, and the Brains (as of 2011) were still not as good as a fully open non-brain Stumpjumper shock.

With that said, I just ordered a 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 29er, and YES it is a Brain bike. People have convinced me to give the new version (it was changed slightly for 2012+) a try. BUT my out is getting a COMP shock and bolting it in if the Brain fails to impress. The Brain can become a spare.

I know people will say get this or that bike, value vs what you are getting, but buy local in any event. Get the bike that suits your riding from a local shop, so warranty and (possibly) repairs are easier. I wrench my own bikes 100%.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by millertm View Post
    I aggree with you on that. Specialized are the "Intel" of the bike market. However, that allows for a good discount. I got my $1650 Carve for $1320, which enabled me to upgrade to TX trail and Ice Tech with XT shifters for about $400. This brings my total to about $1700 for a nice bike. Giant is a great brand as is Cannondale. Ride what you feel fits you better. Price is not a huge deal on a investment as long as you enjoy your ride.

Mark
    WOW! I ride specialized and work for Intel.

Spechie has a lifetime frame warranty as well. Never had any issues with any of my spechies, my last bike was a spec xc expert 2007 or 8 I dont remember but never had an issue price point was just under 2k good components for the money. I haven't rode a Giant maybe im missing out but I have no issues with what I have if it aint broke dont fix it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Specialized, but that's just my preference. It depends on what you are looking for. Good luck in your decision. I'm sure you'll make the one that brings you the greatest bike happiness.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    One of my first high end bikes was a 2001 GIANT NRS 1 that I built up, I loved that bike, For only 3.25" travel it was a great ride. The unfortunate fact was that GIANT stopped supporting the frame after a few years, and it was impossible to get the necessary cheap suspension parts to fix the worn out chainstay bushings that needed replacing yearly.

So , in 2004, I bought a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. No problems with parts because there are no bushings. Broke the shock link on it after 4 years, and got a new one (with a bigger shock bolt) in a few days no problems. And haven't had a different brand since, although I have been tempted to try IBIS Mojo and PIVOT 5.7.

But I won't ever buy another GIANT bike. One big fail on GIANTs part and they lost me as a customer forever. I can't be induced to go back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    New to site was looking for some advice I can not purchase a new mtb cost wise is killing me but found one on Craigslist it's a rocky mountain element I have no model # or date of when he purchased it it has dual suspension fox shocks grey in color with black maple leaves on it tried finding something about it online not much there was wondering if anybody have ridden these and what you thought of it , they are askingf $700 any help would be much appreaciated , thanks for your time Ray

Adz
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Giant

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast