mtbr member

Giant Reign 3 or Trek Remedy 6

Giant Reign 3 or Trek Remedy 6
    This my first "real" bike purchase they are both the same price and in stock at my LBS. I just wanted to get some opinions on here before I spend the money.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

maybe I can help here...

I had a Trek Liquid (the 5" model, that became the Remedy), for 3 years, and a Giant Reign 3 for a year. They are both fun bikes with excellent CS and warranties behind them, but to me the Reign is clearly the better bike- better, more active suspension, and at the same time, almost no bob, snappier feel at the pedals (better acceleration), excellent climber, especially for a 6" bike, especially on square-edged hits. Easier to dial in the full 6" travel (when needed) on the Reign, than on the Remedy. The Remedy just felt a little "sluggish" and "boaty" to me- the Reign has a more lively feel in steering and acceleration. Also, Trek has replaced both the Liquid and the Remedy, again, while Giants Maestro suspension keeps on sailing along. I would bet if you test rode both bikes, these differences would be rather noticable. Do you really need a 6" bike? You may want to check out the 08 Trance Xs- 5" travel, sort of between the old Reigns and Trances, maybe 1 bike does-it-all...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

also, there are still some killer deals

on closeout Giants- Reign frames for $500. Check out Wheelworld.com.