mtbr member
    May 2009

Giant Pistol 1 2007...need advice- OK rig?

I am getting back into mountain biking and have been working within a <$700 budget. The last bike that I had was a Cannondale Beast of the East which rocked. I was thinking about a Specialized Rockhopper Disc, but what I would really like is a full suspension but there is no way my budget could get there. I will be doing some single track and some groomed trails as well as some paved roads with the family, but I would like to have FS for weekend trail rides with friends.

I ran across a Giant Pistol 1 2007 (new) at a local shop that is being offered for more than 50% off the MSRP of $1100. The store owner is very nice and reputable and says that it just hasn't sold, and they would like to move it. I don't know much about this bike, but it felt great when I rode it. Here is a link to the Giant spec's;

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/...llections_id=2

I have surfed around and found that most people have really good comments for the most part about the bike other than some of the components on the 2007 were downgraded from the 2006. Does anyone have any opinion about this bike? Will I be missing out without full suspension?

Thank you for your help.

Former Bike Wrench
    Get the shop owner to swap out those god awful brakes that come with it...and its a good deal otherwise. Even if it costs a little more to do the swap, it'll be worth it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    That is really helpful. Thank you. Do you have a couple of recommendations for brakes that I could suggest to the owner? Budget is an issue How much would I expect to pay for them? Thanks again.