mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New question here. GF Cobia or Ibex Apogee LX?

Thanks in advance for any/all advice. I also apologize for the long intro.

After a too long hiatus from trail riding, I started again this past spring. My current bike is a 1998 Schwinn Mesa GSX and boy, did I think it was a great bike when I first got it! My interest into a new bike was sparked when I demoed a GF MT Tam 29 while mine was going through a tune-up. It was a joy to ride, I was taking steep terrain without fear of endoing and actually made it through some technical areas that I had struggled with in the past. Today, back on my own bike was not nearly as enjoyable! At any rate, I was hoping to be able to ride a full suspension bike today in hopes of comparing it to the 29er. Unfortunately, my LBS only has a few FS demos, and the ones they had available were in the $2000+ range, which my wife will not go for, so I didn't want to fall in love with something I can't have.

Now to the question. I can get a GF Cobia for $950 from my local LBS, or I had also been looking at the Ipex Apogee LX, which is FS, for $1199. I'm hesitant to buy a FS when I've never ridden one, so I'm interested in hearing what experience forum members have had with both and what they think. Specs are below:

Me: 6'2" 225# I prefer single track to firetrail to yucky paved road.

Ipex Apogee LX
    Frame: Full Suspension / 6061 Triple-Butted Aluminum w/ Oversize Tubing / 4-Bar Swingarm / Full Cartridge Bearing Pivots / Aero Downtube / Replaceable Derailleur Hanger / Disc Ready

Fork: Rock Shox Reba SL Air - 115mm Travel / Dual Air Spring / Motion Control Damping /Remote PopLoc / Internal Floodgate / External Rebound and Lock / Compression Adjust / 32mm EA70 Aluminum Stanchions / One Piece Magnesium Lowers / Forged 7050 Aluminum Crown

Rear Shock: Rock Shox Ario Adjustable w/ Lock-out / Rebound Adjustment / Hydraulic Damping with IFP

Front Derailleur: Shimano LX

Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT (M750 SGS)

Shifters: Shimano LX Rapidfire - 27-spd Indexed

Crankset: TruVativ Firex Team - 44/32/22T

Bottom Bracket: TruVativ ISIS - Cartridge Type

Cassette: Shimano LX - 11-32T - 9-spd

Chain: KMC Z9000 Super Narrow - Dark Silver

Brakes: Avid Juicy-5 Hydraulic Disc Brakes

Brake Levers: Avid Juicy-5 Hydraulic

Cables: Jagwire

Tires: Kenda Kenetics - 26" x 2.10"

Rims: Sun Singletrack SL-1 Disc Specific Double-Wall Alloy - 32H - Black

Hubs: Shimano M525 w/ Quick Release

Spokes: 14G Black Stainless Steel

Handlebar: Ritchey Comp Rizer - 670mm x 35° rise - OS 31.8mm Clamp Size

Stem: Ritchey Comp V2 Alloy - OS 31.8mm Clamp Size

Grips: WTB Weirwolf

Headset: FSA Orbit IS-2 Threadless (Integrated Type) w/ Cartridge Bearings

Pedals: Shimano M520 Clipless w/ Cleats and Clip-in Platform

Saddle: WTB Pure V Race

Seat Post: Ritchey Comp V2 Alloy - 27.2 x 300mm

Seat Clamp: Alloy Quick Release

Gary Fisher Cobia

Main frame Platinum Series ZR9000 internally and externally butted aluminum | Disc Specific | Genesis 29" Geometry

Fork RockShox Tora 318 Solo Air 29 | External rebound, external compression and lock-out | Motion Control | 80mm travel

Headset Aheadset | Semi-cartridge | Sealed

Bottom bracket Cartridge

Crank Bontrager Sport 42/32/22

Pedals Shimano M505 ATB clipless

Front derailleur Shimano M-410 Alivio

Rear derailleur Shimano M-511 Deore

Shifters Shimano M-511 Deore

Cassette SRAM PG950 | 11-34 | 9spd

Chain Shimano HG73

Front hub Shimano M475 disc
    Front rim Bontrager Ranger 29 Disc
    Front spokes 14G Stainless Steel

Rear hub Shimano M475 Disc
    Rear rim Bontrager Ranger 29 Disc
    Rear spokes 14G Stainless Steel

Front Tire Bontrager Jones XR 29x2.25

Rear tire Bontrager Jones XR 29x2.2

Front brake Avid BB5 mechanical disc | 6" rotor

Rear brake Avid BB5 mechanical disc | 6" rotor

Brake levers Avid FR5

Handlebar Bontrager Crowbar Sport

Stem Bontrager Sport | 10d rise

Grips Bontrager Dual Density

Saddle Bontrager Select ATB

Seatpost Bontrager Sport

Freshly Fujified

Difficult choice

My personal opinion is that the Ibex bike is the way to go. I happen to like full suspension, and overall, I think the bike specs out nicely. The Reba fork gets very good reviews. The LX/XT derailleur combo is very good. Avid juicy are decent hydros. I have no clue on the Ario shock, or some of the other components. Being an Ibex owner, I believe in their products and view this bike as an outstanding value.

There are problems with my recommendation, though. First, I have no idea if you will like full suspension. Secondly, there is no way for you to test ride this bike. Granted, you can always send it back, but it's a risk not everyone is willing to take.

For what it's worth, if buying without testing is an option, check out the Ibex hard tails. the Trophy XT Disc is spec'd out extremely well, and if hardtail ends up being your preference, this is yet another outstanding bike at an outstanding price.

If it were my money, I'd be buying the Apogee LX, but that is because i'm sold on full suspension, as well as Ibex products.

Best wishes in your decision.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for your response. I can't really have a preference yet as I've only ridden hard tails. My preference among hard tails would be to go with a 29" wheel setup(Cobia), but as I haven't ridden a FS I'm afraid I might miss out on something.

The Apogee LX is appealing because of price. I would be willing to buy before riding because Ibex appears to be a good company and would honor their 30 Day Guarentee should I not like the bike.

What Ibex do you ride? I'm sure FS are heavier than HT, but do you find it noticible?

Thanks again!

Freshly Fujified

My Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by bespinct
    Thanks for your response. I can't really have a preference yet as I've only ridden hard tails. My preference among hard tails would be to go with a 29" wheel setup(Cobia), but as I haven't ridden a FS I'm afraid I might miss out on something.

The Apogee LX is appealing because of price. I would be willing to buy before riding because Ibex appears to be a good company and would honor their 30 Day Guarentee should I not like the bike.

What Ibex do you ride? I'm sure FS are heavier than HT, but do you find it noticible?

Thanks again!
    I ride the B 24 RSR. Here's a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Thanks...

Well, my Apogee LX shipped out today. After reading all of the positive comments about Ibex Bicycles and their apparent customer service I thought I'd go ahead. Neither of the local shops where I live were will to discuss anything in the price range I was looking, and although they sell Gary Fisher and I was able to demo a 29er they weren't able to speak about them in a way that I would be confident in buying from them. The biggest reason to go to a LBS is to shake hands, talk bikes, and get a little education. The only thing I learned is that as far as my LBS options are concerned, if it's not build in the States its not really worth its cost, good components or not. If only that were true.

Oh, well. I expect to see my Apogee on Monday or Tuesday and then off to the trails...well, I'm sure there will be a bit of a learning curve with the clipless pedals! Wither way I can't wait!