Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Getting back into the sport - Which bike to get?

787 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Zonacat 
#1 ·
Giant XTC2: $1799

colour ... Gloss Black
user ... XC Mountain Biker
frame ... ALUXX SL 6013 Aluminum, Integrated Headtube and Seat Stay Gussets, integrated externally butted head tube
fork ... Manitou Skareb Comp 80mm travel
headset ... FSA 1 1/8th Ahead
rear derailleur ... SRAM X-9 9 speed
front derailleur ... Shimano Deore
crankset ... Raceface Ride XC 22x32x44T splined
derailleurshifters ... SRAM X-9 Trigger Shift 27 speed
cassette ... SRAM PG950 9 speed 11-34T
chain ... Shimano Deore 9 spd
bottom bracket ... Raceface SRX ISIS splined
hubs ... Shimano M475 disc 32H
rims ... Mavic X117 disc 26x32H
spokes ... Stainless
tyres ... Hutchinson Python Airlight
brakes/levers ... Hayes HFX-9 XC hydraulic disc w/6" wavy rotors
pedals ... Shimano M520 SPD clipless
stem ... Easton EA50 1 1/8th ahead
handlebar ... Easton EA50 XC flat
seatpost ... Easton EA50 30.9
saddle ... WTB Rocket V

Giant XTC: $1999

"The XtC 2LE shares all the same spec as our XtC 2 bike, but with the new 2005 Shimano LX Dual Control shifters, new 05 LX hydro disc brakes, and XT rear derailleur and new Shimano splined centre lock hubs."

The Question(s) Is:
1. Is the jump in components from the standard XTC2 Disk to the XTC2 DiskLe worth the $200?
2. Any components i should steer clear of on that list?
3. Any other suggestions of bikes for commute/trail stuff?

See less See more
#3 ·
What type of riding do you do?

The bike you choose will depend on the type of riding you do. What type of rider are you? How long have you been out of the sport? Do you plan on racing? I recently got back to the sport myself, after not riding for several years. I ended up buying a XC full suspension bike (Intense Spider) and a full suspension trail bike (Titus Quasi) for most of my riding. I don't know the terrain in Australia. Both bikes you showed were hardtails. Have you considered a full suspension? Having switched to FS, I can't see myself going back to riding a hardtail. There are numerous well-built full suspension bikes on the market that are reasonably priced. If you are getting one bike for all your riding, consider a 4-5 inch travel FS bike around 26-30 lbs. If, however, you are planning on doing XC racing, then you may consider a hardtail or a lighter 3-4 inch travel FS bike (24-26 lbs). Once you decide what type of bike, you can narrow your search down. Good luck.

#4 ·
Ive been out of the sport for about 5 years ... Used to ride a GT Zaskar ... Was considering a full suspension but i think that i'll go for a hardtail first and see if i get right back into it. If i do im going to build up a Mountain Cycles Fury or a Turner Flux

#6 ·
Some thoughts

crazydave said:
Giant XTC2: $1799

colour ... Gloss Black
user ... XC Mountain Biker
frame ... ALUXX SL 6013 Aluminum, Integrated Headtube and Seat Stay Gussets, integrated externally butted head tube
fork ... Manitou Skareb Comp 80mm travel
headset ... FSA 1 1/8th Ahead
rear derailleur ... SRAM X-9 9 speed
front derailleur ... Shimano Deore
crankset ... Raceface Ride XC 22x32x44T splined
derailleurshifters ... SRAM X-9 Trigger Shift 27 speed
cassette ... SRAM PG950 9 speed 11-34T
chain ... Shimano Deore 9 spd
bottom bracket ... Raceface SRX ISIS splined
hubs ... Shimano M475 disc 32H
rims ... Mavic X117 disc 26x32H
spokes ... Stainless
tyres ... Hutchinson Python Airlight
brakes/levers ... Hayes HFX-9 XC hydraulic disc w/6" wavy rotors
pedals ... Shimano M520 SPD clipless
stem ... Easton EA50 1 1/8th ahead
handlebar ... Easton EA50 XC flat
seatpost ... Easton EA50 30.9
saddle ... WTB Rocket V

Giant XTC: $1999

"The XtC 2LE shares all the same spec as our XtC 2 bike, but with the new 2005 Shimano LX Dual Control shifters, new 05 LX hydro disc brakes, and XT rear derailleur and new Shimano splined centre lock hubs."

The Question(s) Is:
1. Is the jump in components from the standard XTC2 Disk to the XTC2 DiskLe worth the $200?
2. Any components i should steer clear of on that list?
3. Any other suggestions of bikes for commute/trail stuff?
Don't spend the extra money. Here's why.
1) Derailleur/shifter upgrade: I think the X.9 SRAM combo is pretty well matched ( I feel the SRAM is better ) to the Shimano XT derailleur/LX shifter combo. Why bother "upgrading"?
2) You already have decent hydro brakes on the less expensive bike. Unless there is a specific upgrade in the performance of the "new 05 LX hydro disc brakes", again, why pay more?
3) Tossup on the hubs in my opinion. The M475 hub has the six hole mounting that many disc brake manufacturers use for their brake rotors. It's an OK, hub, but not necessarily one of Shimano's higher end hubs. They don't mention the model of the "new Shimano splined centre lock hubs", so there's no way to tell if it's an upgrade from the M475. What it DOES infer, is that you will need to stay with Shimano rotors (because of the "splined" hub), and probably Shimano calipers should you ever want to replace or upgrade them. (I could be wrong on the issue of the splined hub, but based on what I've read here, I believe this is the case. If I'm wrong, PLEASE, someone correct me so this person has the right info.)

I say buy the cheaper bike. It has a nice build, and unless you have a compelling need for the parts described in the Le, save the money for future upgrades. Keep in mind that if you're dead set on the components listed in the Le, get the Le. You'll never be able to upgrade to those parts for $200.00 after you've purchased the less expensive bike.

I'm sure others may have more to add.

Clyde

#7 ·
Call_me_Clyde said:
Don't spend the extra money. Here's why.
1) Derailleur/shifter upgrade: I think the X.9 SRAM combo is pretty well matched ( I feel the SRAM is better ) to the Shimano XT derailleur/LX shifter combo. Why bother "upgrading"?
2) You already have decent hydro brakes on the less expensive bike. Unless there is a specific upgrade in the performance of the "new 05 LX hydro disc brakes", again, why pay more?
3) Tossup on the hubs in my opinion. The M475 hub has the six hole mounting that many disc brake manufacturers use for their brake rotors. It's an OK, hub, but not necessarily one of Shimano's higher end hubs. They don't mention the model of the "new Shimano splined centre lock hubs", so there's no way to tell if it's an upgrade from the M475. What it DOES infer, is that you will need to stay with Shimano rotors (because of the "splined" hub), and probably Shimano calipers should you ever want to replace or upgrade them. (I could be wrong on the issue of the splined hub, but based on what I've read here, I believe this is the case. If I'm wrong, PLEASE, someone correct me so this person has the right info.)

I say buy the cheaper bike. It has a nice build, and unless you have a compelling need for the parts described in the Le, save the money for future upgrades. Keep in mind that if you're dead set on the components listed in the Le, get the Le. You'll never be able to upgrade to those parts for $200.00 after you've purchased the less expensive bike.

I'm sure others may have more to add.

Clyde
Thanks for the info Clyde,

Ive been hearing some good things about SRAM gear so i think i'm leaning towards the standard XTC2. The other bike i've checked out that has really impressed me with its value for money is the Avanti Aggressor ($2400 Aussie):

Frame ... 7005 Alloy Full DB, Integrated Head Tube, Smooth Welding
Fork ... FOX Vanilla RL 100mm Travel
Brake Levers ... Shimano LX M585
Brakes ... Shimano LX M585 DISC
Shifters ...Shimano LX M585 27spd STI
Front Derail ... Shimano LX
Rear Derail ... Shimano XT
Crankset ... Shimano M585 LX Hollowtech 2, 22-32-44
Bottom Bracket ... Shimano LX - HollowTech 2
Chain ... Shimano CN-HG73
Pedals ... Shimano PD-M505 Clipless
Headset ... Cane Creek ZST Zero Stack 1-1/8"
Stem ... Easton EA50 Forged 31.8mm 6Deg Rise
Bars ... Easton EA50 Riser Bar 31.8mm
Hubs ... Shimano M585 LX Disc Front and Rear with Centre Lock
Cassette ... Shimano CS-HG50 11-32 9spd
Spokes ... DT Stainless Steel, Pro Lock Nipples
Rims/Wheels ... Mavic XM317 Disc Black
Tyres ... Specialized Fastrak Pro Duo Compound 26 x 2.0 with Lightweight Tubes
Seat Post ... Alloy 30.9mm Micro Adjust
Saddle ... Specialized Body Geometry MTB with Cr-mo Rails

#8 ·
What bike...

Hey, Crazy Dave,

I am just like you. I was out of the sport for about 7 years, used to race and all that sh--. About a year ago, I decided to get back into riding, so I thought I would get my old bike back and running, a '91 Stumpjumper M2 which was converted to front suspension. Anyway, got it all up to snuff, and.... never rode. About 2-weeks ago, I got the bug again and "Just did it" sort of like Nike. Went for a new bike, FS, and being a little older and a little slower, my ass doesn't hurt like it used to after a couple of weeks out of the saddle. The ride is sweet and you can really hammer over the small bumps without having to get out of the saddle. Anyways, go full, mid-range price, and plan on upgrading from the full in a year or two.

I went Specialized FSR Comp 100 Disc. Mid range components, but the same frame as the Pro version. Figured I would just upgrade components as I got up to date on the Mountan biking world, or when I broke them, whatever comes first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.