mtbr member

geometry fit questions

I am currently riding a 16" (ETT 22.7") Karate Monkey with wide, flat bars and a 100mm straight stem. I am 5'9" and it feels a bit cramped for me. I would like to get a 18" Karate Monkey (23.6"/559mm) frameset instead but somoene has offered to trade mine for a 18" Vassago Jabberwocky (ETT 24.2"/615mm).

geometry for Jabber
    geometry for Monkey

i am not terribly flexible and probably never will be. can I make up for the extra stretch on the Jabber with a shorter stem, or is it just going to be too long for me? I also have a Ragely Carnegie bars that seem to shorten up the reach a bit when I run them, which I don't because of the shortness of the current frame. otherwise, I could just do the trade and find out, then sell it if it doesn't work out.

so, try the Jabber or hold out for a larger Monkey?

*edit* also, what affect would lowering or raising the stem on my current bike have? I have a 100mm, zero degree rise stem at present with about an inch of spacers under it. could I make the front end more stable with a lower, higher, or slightly longer stem? how long is "too long" on a small frame?
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 03-21-2013 at 08:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'd compare Ebay for used Jabbers as Monkey's have good resale value and I have not checked the Jabber pricing used. That seems like a stretch for a fit given you want a upright position. Generally you want to use a stem near what the frame was designed around as it put your weight/balance in the right place for weighting the front wheel when cornering.

mtbr member
    price is not a concern for me since all the frames I am considering (also the On-One Inbred) are pretty darn cheap. I want to get an inexpensive frame that will handle well for me.

edit- added another question to my original post.