mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Gary Fisher tiburon vs. trek 7100

I went to the bike store to order a trek 7100. They didn't have my size in stock but had a 20" (or so) - I need a 15" so I couldn't even attempt to consider getting on that. But I saw another bike - "what is this?" looked similar, 15", a Gary Fisher Tiburon, the bike store guy said it is just about the same thing. The biggest differences are the Gary Fisher has trigger shifters and the Trek has the twist kind, and the Trek has a more adjustable handlebar.

The guy said they could order me the 15" 7100 and I can try them both. That was YESTERDAY. Bike is already in and assembled I was just there to get something for my son, did not expect it so quick. But I didn't decide then because I want to go back without my kids distracting me.

Specs for Tiburon:

Tiburon | Gary Fisher Bicycles

Specs for 7100:

Trek Bicycle

I know they are VERY similar but there are slight differences - so is one better than the other and why? Personally I prefer the trigger shifters - but the problem is, my husband will be getting a bike, too, and I feel bad (I know, I'm a dork) getting a model he can't pick - I know you can get the 7100 and upgrade, though, for $60 or so. The triggers are the one thing I like. The adjustable handlebar is a moot point, I am short, the handlebar on the Fisher fits me just fine as is, no need to adjust. I feel like down the line when I go to resell - I figure I will use this a few years and figure out what I need, maybe this will be it, maybe not - I worry Trek will stand out as the name people look for, and "Like Trek" won't be the same. (Though I think this IS made by Trek, but people can be weird when it comes to rebranding and all)

Opinions on which you would go with and why. Be gentle. I'm a newbie.

Oh - the Fisher bike has the wires on top of the top tube - the trek has them underneath. I don't like how it looks on top, but LBS guy points out that is better from a hanging on the bike rack point. If that's the case are ones on the bottom bad?? Does it really matter? I think being all out like that I worry about my kids deciding to pluck them like a guitar... although as luck would have it there are hooks in the ceiling of the garage so I guess I can put them up and out of little fingers' reach? Opinions on this? Does it matter? Need to decide soon as my bike is in and I want to ride with my son this weekend.

Price is the same - sorry I am not sure I put this in the best forum but I can't delete it!
    Last edited by PghYinzer; 09-29-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Picture Unrelated
    They're basically the same bike so you can't go wrong. I would say the fact that you like the triggers better would be a justifiable reason to go with the Fisher. You're probably just over thinking it, go with the one that you like best and it doesn't really matter what reason you pick.

The cable routing is also not a big deal. Yes they do sit on a bike rack where the bikes hang by the top tube better, but either one will work on a rack like that.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    They're basically the same bike so you can't go wrong. I would say the fact that you like the triggers better would be a justifiable reason to go with the Fisher. You're probably just over thinking it, go with the one that you like best and it doesn't really matter what reason you pick.

The cable routing is also not a big deal. Yes they do sit on a bike rack where the bikes hang by the top tube better, but either one will work on a rack like that.

thank you for answering!!! i went and test drove today and fisher was more comfy - it has a nicer seat. i have read a few things saying for the price point fisher tends to be slightly better quality. Any truth to that? Most of the bike is a jumble of numbers to me but you don't need expertise to know a good seat when you're sitting on one. The trek one wasn't bad, just not great. I was all set to check out with the fisher and then i said wait, let me think about it one more day. I suppose if for some reason I ever felt I needed an adjustable handlebar like the 7100 has I could upgrade to that later. Either way I have to buy a second non-suspension post for a trail a bike (I'm too short to raise the seat enough to expose non-suspension part) so if I am looking at wanting to buy new seat + new shifters + second seat post the 7100 will end up costing $80-90 more to arrive at the same bike. I don't know what handlebars cost but given I shouldn't need one it's kind of a moot point.

Anyway thanks!!! I know I am over thinking it but I always turn into a deer in the headlights when it comes to making decisions.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
    thank you for answering!!! i went and test drove today and fisher was more comfy - it has a nicer seat. i have read a few things saying for the price point fisher tends to be slightly better quality. Any truth to that?
    Maybe a little bit of truth there, but Trek owns Fisher so it's minimal if there is any difference. More to the point I think the Fishers are spec'd smarter so it appears they are better quality. Saving money on things like adjustable handlebars and maybe putting on a nicer seat or something like that.

I suppose if for some reason I ever felt I needed an adjustable handlebar like the 7100 has I could upgrade to that later.
    You will never touch the adjustable handlebar and it will just become another part of the bike that needs to be tightened once in a while to keep the thing from creaking

Either way I have to buy a second non-suspension post for a trail a bike (I'm too short to raise the seat enough to expose non-suspension part) so if I am looking at wanting to buy new seat + new shifters + second seat post the 7100 will end up costing $80-90 more to arrive at the same bike. I don't know what handlebars cost but given I shouldn't need one it's kind of a moot point.

Anyway thanks!!! I know I am over thinking it but I always turn into a deer in the headlights when it comes to making decisions.
    I have to suggest that you stay away from suspension seatposts. They are just terrible and even the absolute best one out there, the Cane Creek Thudbuster, is really unimpressive. The cheap ones would be lucky to last a year of regular usage and you're far better off just getting used to standing up off the saddle if you see a bump coming up. It's not a good place to spend your money.

Instead, I would suggest that you look into some cycling specific shorts. They have chamois inserts in them that greatly increase comfort while pedaling and riding. People call them "padded" shorts but that's almost a misnomer. Yes they do offer a small amount of padding but they're probably better at moisture management and keeping you from getting chafed. I don't like to ride without them and if I do it's never longer than an hour ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Bike is now sitting in my living room! And as predicted 3yo has been messing with the cables...

Hope it's dry tomorrow so we can go out!

Picture Unrelated
    Bike is now sitting in my living room! And as predicted 3yo has been messing with the cables...

Hope it's dry tomorrow so we can go out!
    Well congratulations!