mtbr member
    May 2013

Gary Fisher Frame - New Build Advice!

I am an amateur to biking, been riding my Genesis V2100 the last 6 months. I've been shopping for a new bike, and everything I see in the $700-$900 range wasn't too impressive, compared to what I can put together from buying all the pieces from ebay; hope I'm right on that. Anyways, this is my first build, and I've bought all of parts already, they should be trickeling in within the next 1-2 weeks.

I bought this Gary Fisher frame from The Pros Closet, I haven't had it delivered yet. I called the guys there, and they said it is a 2000-2002 frame. The only disfunction I see now, is they guys said it needs a special rear disc brake adaptor from Trek. Any thoughts and advice on this? What drew me to the frame was the weight at 3lb 10oz.

Gary Fisher Paragon Mountain Bike Frame 17 5" Medium Hardtail Aluminum | eBay

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I went to my local Trek dealer, he says his Trek Parts catalogue only carries one adapter, which would be what looks identical to the Universal Mount. In the catalogue it says it fits 2000 and up GFs that need the adapter, but did not state fitting any rotor sizes in particular. I showed him the picture of the 160mm adapter, he said its an aftermarket part that the maker thought may work better than the universal with a 160mm, but he knows nothing about it. I already purchased my Ai2 160mm rotors, so I need to run 160mm for sure. Do you know if the adapter will fit a 160mm? Or should I return it and order the aftermarket adapter from now?

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    With the adapter in the first link you could bolt a post mount caliper directly onto it and use a 160m rotor.

With the adapter in the second link and with the Trek adapter you'd need a rear 160mm IS to PM adapter like the following ones to mount a post mount caliper.

Bikeman Shimano R160P/S Disc Brake Adaptor
    Bikeman Avid Disc IS Bracket - 20 IS (Front 180/Rear 160)

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    With the adapter in the first link you could bolt a post mount caliper directly onto it and use a 160m rotor.

With the adapter in the second link and with the Trek adapter you'd need a rear 160mm IS to PM adapter like the following ones to mount a post mount caliper.

Bikeman Shimano R160P/S Disc Brake Adaptor
    Bikeman Avid Disc IS Bracket - 20 IS (Front 180/Rear 160)
    Sorry to keep harping on this. The brake set that I purchased come with adapters, I believe they are the necessary adapters.

Shimano Deore Hydraulic Disc Brakeset BL M595 BR M595 160mm 1350 850 Bike New | eBay

Can you confirm?

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Adapters can be taken off if they aren't needed and they aren't always needed.

If you bought this style of frame mount adapter and are using a 160mm rotor on the back then you won't need the rear adapter that's supplied with your brakes.

If you bought the other type of frame mount adapter then you'd need to use the rear adapter that's supplied with your brakes.

Gary Fisher Frame - New Build Advice!-20091009_120028_tech_disk_tab_t.jpg

If your fork has 51mm IS (International Standard) brake mounts then you'd use the front brake adapter that's supplied with your brakes.

If your fork has 74mm PM (Post Mounts) then you won't need the front brake adapter that is supplied with your brakes, you can bolt the brake caliper directly onto the fork when using a 160mm rotor.