mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Fun full suspension bike?

Hi,

What playful kind of full suspension bikes are out there which are easy to bunnyhop, manual and jump?

I currently have an Evil Faction hardtail which I love for these reasons, however it's not the nicest bike on longer rides and gets pretty uncomfortable after pedaling for a while, especially over rough rocky trails. Also the front end feels too short and easy to go over the handlebars at times.

The NS Bikes Soda and Yeti SB66 sound like what I may be after, however I haven't ridden many full suspension bikes and aren't really sure what to expect. I'm hoping to test ride a few more over the coming months.

What other bikes do you guys recommend?

Cheers
    Benno

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Look for an early Specialized Enduro SL, like a 2007. The dual crown fork was ahead of its time, and with the bottom bracket set in the high mode, it can actually ride XC just fine.

I won some sport class XC races on one.

I also had fun when I owned a Trance X. The trance suspension is a little better (reacts to smaller bumps), but the Enduro SL is a longer-travel bike and the dual-crown fork is stiffer for hard use.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I would ride some FS bikes and see what you think. It will help narrow down what you like the feel of and what you don't. Otherwise, just asking what FS people like will get you 100 different answers.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks guys, I'm hoping to hire and ride a few different types of bike in a couple of weeks when on holidays.

What sort of geometry generally makes a bike more suited to jumps, manuals and bunnyhopping? Should I be looking more towards something with a higher bottom bracket and shorter chainstays? Or is a lower bottom bracket generally more suited to this type of thing?

Cheers
    Benno