mtbr member

Full Suspension Frame Decision

I bought this Trek 4300 last Summer, but the trails I normally ride are extremely rooty and rocky. I really need a full suspension bike, but don't have a ton of money to spend. I thought about buying a new FS frame and transfering all my components over to it to save money. I found this frame here in GA on craigslist for only $190. The frame size is LRG, and I'm not sure if I would have any problems or not transferring all my components from my Trek to this Specialized FS frame.

Here's the frame I want to buy. It's a 2006 Specialized Epic Comp FSR; LRG frame size. Looks well kept, but I'm no expert as to what to look for...
    Full Suspension Frame Decision-3e23j93h85nc5gf5fdd57979747604c341529.jpg

Here's my 2012 Trek 4300. Everything is stock except for the fork. I upgraded to the Suntour Raidon Air Fork. It's 19.5'' frame size 26er.

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

mtbr member
    I think 190 for that Epic frame a great deal if everything is in working condition. That looks like the S-Works version which was made from Specialized's M5 aluminum (very light)

Things to look out for:
    -Failing rear shock (it can be replaced or serviced, but that is expensive if you are on a budget)
    -Bushings for the rear suspension and rear triangle. its hard to tell what shape they are in when its just a frame, but move it and see if its quiet or if there is any play side to side.
    -Cracks or big dents. For 190 bucks who cares if its scratched or has chips. Cracks and dents are another story.

The large size should fit you fine. XL is probably to big.
    You might have to get a new seatpost to fit that frame. But you can save some weight by doing that as well. Consider it an upgrade.

If that frame came up for sale around me for $190 I would buy it in a heartbeat and build a new bike!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice! I'm not sure if that frame was designed for a 29er or 26er though. Does this matter, since I'm using all 26er designed components?
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

mtbr member
    Yes, It does matter what wheel size the frame was designed for. I just assumed it was a 26" since you were looking at it.

mtbr member
    After looking at the frame its definitely not the S-Works version. Probably just the M4 comp version you were talking about. Looks like the 2005 version.

Still a great frame. I doubt its a 29er frame though.

mtbr member
    A general list of things that may not transfer frame to frame are:

Seatpost
    Front Derailleur
    Fork (steering tube length)
    Headset
    Bottom Bracket
    Cables (due to different routing)
    Possibly tires and wheels (due to axle size or tire width)

I miss any?

You should be fine with most of these items. I would look into the seatpost size and measure the head tube to make sure your fork will fit. Plan on new cables and housing as they will have totally different routing. Also check the front derailleur. Some frames will require a top pull, some a bottom pull. You may need a new one of those as well. Even worst case scenario you will only need another $100 or less. Under $300 for a full suspension upgrade is a great deal.

mtbr member
    I talked to the guy selling the frame, and he said it is a 26er frame. The headset will work for my fork, but I'll have to buy a new seat post (not a big deal). As far as the front derailleur, how could I know for sure mine would transfer over or not? I'm confident the tires and wheels will fit.

mtbr member
    Your front derailleur on the Trek is a top pull (the direction the cable pull comes from). The cable routing on the Epic is for a bottom pull. Many derailleurs on the market are dual, meaning you can use them either way, but not all. I'm not sure what's spec'd on your Trek.

Also, the clamp diameter. Looks like a technical document I found says the Epic uses a 34.9mm. That's a pretty common size for newer bikes so you are probably okay there. Just make sure you look into whether or not you can set it up for a bottom pull.

mtbr member
    I tried to find the exact derailleur I have to check the specs...I think this is it right here - BikePedia, Front derailleur, Shimano EFDM390X6 "Acera FD-M390" - Full Item Description

It looks exactly like the one I have, and it claims to be dual pull. I should be good there.