mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Full Suspension 26" frame options.

In the market for a mid-high level Full suspension 26" wheel frame. I'm looking for something with 100mm rear travel in the $1300-$1800 price range. I can go a bit above that if it comes with some "accessories" (seat post, headset, etc).

So far I have looked at:

Specialized Epic (alloy not carbon). Like the brain, dont like the $200 above my budget
    Giant Anthem X. Seems like a nice frame, maybe a little heavy.
    Scott Spark 10. Seems the nude shock sucks,so some cost to replace that.

There just seems like so many other bike manufactures out there that it makes my head spin a bit trying to decifer which frames fit my goals.

So, I come to you guys to point out some frames that I probably dont know about that might be a good fit.

Zero Miles from Myself

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz Superlight. If you're not opposed to single pivot bikes, that is.

http://santacruzbicycles.com/superlight/

mtbr member
    What type of riding are you intending on doing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Mostly single track cross country. I've been taking the "rougher" line more and more lately to make the ride more interesting and challenge/build my skills. I'm not looking for something for big drops and jumps.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundragon
    I'm not looking for something for big drops and jumps.
    Yet !

T.W.O.
    May be starting at 5" would be a better choice Trance X is an excellent choice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yeah, there are a lot of 5" bikes that are nice. The problem is I dont have room in my budget to buy a decent frame and a new fork. I already have a 100mm Reba that has been a great fork.

T.W.O.
    Yeah, there are a lot of 5" bikes that are nice. The problem is I dont have room in my budget to buy a decent frame and a new fork. I already have a 100mm Reba that has been a great fork.
    AH! got it, FWIW you may be able to extend your reba to 115mm I did with mine, so there's an option the next time you send the fork in for rebuild

Zero Miles from Myself
    The problem is I dont have room in my budget to buy a decent frame and a new fork. I already have a 100mm Reba that has been a great fork.
    Spider XVP is designed around the 100mm fork platform

Hi.
    I've owned the Giant Anthem. It's an excellent XC bike with plush travel and efficient climbing characteristics. You really can't go wrong with that bike.

On the other hand:

CBO has a Titus Racer X Carbon (Large) for $1700. On-One is pretty good with customer service, and should uphold some kind of warranty for Titus frames.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...ain+Bike+Frame

Actually, CBO has a bunch of FS frames in stock if Large doesn't fit you. Like the Ellsworth Truth SST for $1745, which is a killer XC frame. Limited size/color options, but the Red Velvet is a pretty cool color.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...ain+Bike+Frame

If you want kickass DW-Link XC bike, check out the 2010 Turner Flux for $1850. Over your budget by $100 with shipping, but a great option:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/turner-flux-...paign=products

Dirty nerotic bike whore
    Um look at the manitou minute fork its in 140 for like 500 buck, im looking at building a 5 incher but am stuck on frame choice have a 1400 budget tops for frame here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    So far I am leaning towards the Santa Cruz superlight. With the upgraded shock it wont break the bank and leave me some room for some accessories.

I really like the Intense Spider 2, but the price of the frame + a fork is to much, and it looks a bit on the heavy side(6.2lbs for the xl I need).

I dont know if the superlight will be the "it" frame for me but looks like it might be a good place to start in the FS world. And, if I dont like it, I wont take a huge loss in resale if I switch parts back to my carbon hardtail frame.

Zero Miles from Myself
    My Spider XVP in the Raw color weighs in at 4.93 lbs with Hanger, Hanger Bolt and Swinger X3 shock. I know it is not quite the same as the newer Spider 2, but I like it as well and all spiders are built with the same suspension system as Santa Cruz VPP suspension (as on the Blur). Intense is the only frame manufacturer with a VPP license from Santa Cruz and From what I have read, actually was in on the development of VPP years ago FWIW.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Go to Titus' web site. They might still have the Racer X in AL or Carbon frames in your size. Should only be a bit more that the SC Superlight with the RP23 upgrade.

www.titusti.com

Titus isn't going anywhere. On-one is releasing new bikes under the Titus logo as we speak... check em out. Just announced that they're bringing back the Motolite and a few more 29r's.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Hey Sundragon - Just saw where you can get a new 2008 Intense 5.5 FRO for $1420 with a Fox RP23 from Chain Reaction Cycles. Looks nice too
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=21377

Plus they appear to be having a big frame sale:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/S...y=DiscountDESC

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    You in a hurry to buy? It's already June and in 4 months the season will be over and you could probably score a nice deal at that time. I'm really high on the BMC Speedfox 01 at competitive cyclist for $600. I rode one and liked it a lot though it does not have the bling factor. It's a $2K frame on big discount, but they don't have a lot of sizes. I would just sell your Reba on Ebay and get a new one that can go to 120mm.