mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Fuji or Specialized?

Hello everyone,
    I am new to biking and very keen to get on board with this form of exercise and activity. I suffered a ruptured achilles tendon in June and was told I am to only swim and ride and so I chose riding, however I am not sure if a mountain bike is best for me. I think though I will enjoy it all and if i am to own one bike it should be a mountain bike.
    I plan to ride on the roads, easy trails until i am competent enough and even so I am happy with the lonely back roads (potholes and all) and country trails where i live, sugar cane plantations etc.
    Due to budget (under 1000 USD) and activity type (basic trails etc) I have narrowed down my choices between the following hard tails; the Fuji Nevada 1.3 29er and the Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29er. Just for the heck of it if I had to go 26" I would choose the Trek 4300. Where I live we get mostly trek, Specialized, Giant (very limited Giant options though) and Fuji.
    between my two preferences which is best? bear in mind I am getting the Specialized for about 720 USD and the Fuji for 840 USD if i were to convert my local currency to USD.
    Fuji Bikes | MOUNTAIN | SPORT - HARDTAIL | NEVADA 29 1.3
    Specialized Bicycle Components
    many thanks
    Nomadik.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've owned a few specialized bikes before and they have always seemed to be high quality. I have rode a Fuji before and it also seemed nice. From my limited experience I would prefer the hard rock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hello all, I ended up buying the Fuji Nevada 1.3 and this has worked out very well so far. I have really enjoyed this bike and to be honest I probably would have enjoyed the Specialized much the same. started to get really addicted to riding on the trails, unpaved pathways and even the road when I can.