mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Fuji Odessa vs Haro Flightline 1 vs Trek 820.

I'm looking to buy my first non walmart bike in the next few weeks. My budget is a little on the low side (around $300), but there are several good bike shops in my area. I've got a Trek dealer, Fuji dealer, and a Haro dealer all close to where I work. In reading about these three bikes, they all seem like they would be basically the same. Anyone have experience with these three bikes? Is one obviously better than the others? The only riding I'll be doing is around my neighborhood and a few of the local bike trails (nothing really difficult or rough).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well I bought my son a Trek 820 and it's a solid bike,but very heavy and the components are seriously entry level.Still,it's head and shoulders above a dept. store bike and my son loves it so I'm happy with the purchase.You should be able to find a good deal on a older model that may be a step up from the 820,when I bought my sons they had an aluminum Specialized with a little better parts for a little less.

MTBR Member
    Keep hitting the shops up and keep looking for a good deal. 2010's will be starting to come in and the 09s will be discounted. Look for new old stock too...bikes that were purchased awhile ago and have been sitting. You can find great deals that way.

Ride em and see what feels the best to you. Any of them would be good starters, but you don't want to go and put a lot of money into it. Save up and then upgrade down the line if it's something you enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I recently bought a Haro and have no probs what so ever with it. good geometry, doesnt weigh all that much and the specs are pretty good too. its very good value in my opinion.
    The upspec'd models (flightline 2, 3) have components that other companies don't have in the same price range. Haro have been a leading BMX manufacturer since the eighties, only recently have gotten into MTB, which leads some people to bag them, since they dont have the long time rep of other companies. They are still a very reputable company though.

Buy what feels most comfortable to you and what has the components you need for the type of use its going to get, though the Haro is specifically designed for urban and light trails (I dont know about the others, they will likely be very similar though)

remember, the quality of the product stays in your mind a lot longer than the price does.