mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Fuel ex7 or Trance X2

If both these bikes were listed at the exact same price, which would you recommend? I'll try to list what I feel are the key points; everything is stock per the bikes' websites.

Trek Fuel EX7
    Year - 2009
    Fork - Rockshox Recon 351 solo air
    Shifters - Shimano Deore
    Front Derailleur - Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur - Shimano SLX "Shadow"

Giant Trance X2
    Year - 2008
    Fork - Fox 32 F120R
    Shifters - Shimano Deore Rapidfire
    Front Derailleur - Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur - Shimano LX, top normal

They are both medium sized frames, which concern me since I'm right at 6ft, but I'm going to get on them both to make sure they aren't too cramped. I'm also concerned about how the forks compare.

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I haven't ridden the Fuel but I do own an '08 X1 that is medium. I am 5'11"-6' and love the medium size. Stable at speed and can be flicked around corners and in the air.

Ink

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Cant speak for the Trek Fuel but I just got a Trance X2 a couple of days ago. Coming from a hard tail, I was expecting that my climbing would suffer but I was proven wrong by the Trance maestro suspension.

And BTW, I'm 5'7" and I ride the medium. Feels very comfortable with my body position. You're 6ft so you might be sitting more upright..unless you have short torso.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thanks for the input guys. I'm coming from a hardtail as well, so I'm sure I'll be super pleased with either. Just gotta see which shop is willing to play.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Well I ended up going with the Fuel. Fortunately I compared the trance x2 with an x4 in large and the difference was too noticeable. I was way too cramped on the medium frame. So I headed to Richmond and tried out the Fuel, and thankfully it was a much better fit. Now I just need to get used to this squishy sensation in my rear

I'd post some pics, but my camera doesn't like white bikes apparently.