Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Fuel EX6 vs. Specilized FSRxc Expert vs. Cannondale Rize4

I'm looking to spend around $1600 on my first FS bike, coming from a 29er hardtail and before that a 26" HT. Of some local shops, I found some pretty good deals on bikes...here are the contenders:

2010 Trek Fuel EX6 - $1600

2010 Specilized FSRxc Expert - $1550

2009 Cannondale Rize4 - $1499

The Rize4 has great specs, Fox Float R shock and Float RL 140mm up front. However, the FSRxc Expert has a nice feel to it and more room in the standover department. Not really sure about the Trek.

So what do you think about these bikes? I typically ride cross country, but rough, rocky trails with 1-2ft. drops or a bit bigger is not out of the question. I spend 70% of my time going uphill at most and trails around here are either mostly uphill or mostly downhill. I don't do a lot of shuttle runs or smooth singletrack.
    Last edited by TwoHeadsBrewing; 12-02-2010 at 07:52 PM.
    "Got everything you need?"

T.W.O.
    Then according to you it's a race between C'dale and Spec. Go with the one that fit you most, and pleasing to the eye.

I'd go for Trek if it's EX8 and up. If the C'dale is fitted with Lefty is a good choice too. Otherwise looks like you would be a proud owner of FSR

mtbr member
    Cannondale has Fox Float RL 140mm fork. Seems better than the RS Recon SL 120mm, but I don't know if I'd really notice a difference. Both are pretty solid forks. Kind of wondering about the X-Fusion rear shock on the FSR...has lockout and adjustment but would rather have a Fox Float R/RP2/RP23, etc.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    Cannondale has Fox Float RL 140mm fork. Seems better than the RS Recon SL 120mm, but I don't know if I'd really notice a difference. Both are pretty solid forks. Kind of wondering about the X-Fusion rear shock on the FSR...has lockout and adjustment but would rather have a Fox Float R/RP2/RP23, etc.
    If that's the case I'd go with C'dale.

TRANCER
    I'm with Mimi
    Ride

T.W.O.
    I know it's not on your list but have you consider the Trance X, Bio would agree with me that's it's very competitive bike up against your list.

You'd have a great suspension design, and plenty of stand over, just have the check the spec on giant website. I'm quite certain it's pretty competitive in price. It does not hurt to keep your option open and get the most for your money.

That said the Rize with all those components are very attractive deal.

TRANCER
    Yeah you can probably find a 2010 for around 1500 to 1600. And it has a flawless suspension design imo. Fox suspension front and back. etc. And not bad to look at either

Ride

TRANCER

Ride

T.W.O.
    Nice , very interesting brake set up. I like, I like

TRANCER
    Mimi that's not my bike. Lol I just posted pics of the first 2010 trance X3 I found on google. I have the blue 2009 X3 with the Cobalts.
    Ride

mtbr member
    I can't seem to find any Trance X3 models for under $2k...and those are 2009's. The shop in town has the X4 for $1600 I think. I agree that the X3 would be the bike to get at 1600, but I don't see it and the Giant dealer doesn't have it in stock.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    Mimi that's not my bike. Lol I just posted pics of the first 2010 trance X3 I found on google. I have the blue 2009 X3 with the Cobalts.
    Even better Cobalt is nice have them on my BLTC. I was going to politely asked you to remove the dork disc

T.W.O.
    I can't seem to find any Trance X3 models for under $2k...and those are 2009's. The shop in town has the X4 for $1600 I think. I agree that the X3 would be the bike to get at 1600, but I don't see it and the Giant dealer doesn't have it in stock.

From my experience, of course different LBS offer different deal, but 3 of the Giant Dealer I know offers lifetime adjustment. My friend bought an FSR earlier this year only had one tune up. C'dale well I own a few myself, they are great but it seems to take a while when things go wrong.

Hope you can find a good deal on the Trance X. I demoed the Anthem 29er and I was really impress with the ride quality, and the hub with the extra wide flange is very impressive, make the wheel feels really stiff.

TRANCER
    The bike I posted is a 2010 TX3. You are confusing it with the 2009 TX2 which is also white but half the frame is grey. The 2009 X3 which I have is blue and grey. I bought my 2009 @ the end of 2009 for 1450 and a month earlier it was there for 1950.
    Ride

TRANCER
    Here is a 2009 X3

Ride

mtbr member
    I'm going to demo the Rize4 and at the same shop they have the X4 so I'll get a chance to check it out. The shop selling the FSRxc offers lifetime tune-ups and 10% off all stuff in the shop for life. The shop with the Cdale and Giants has a good reputation from a lot of people, but my friend was not impressed after buying a Boulder from them. I this his exact word to describe them was "dickbags". Not sure if I want to give my money to some dickbags...

TRANCER
    Just ride as many bikes as you can that are on your list imo. Choose the best fitting and most comfortable bike for you. Don't go buy this or that bike because you are getting good service only either. If you buy a bike that doesn't fit you well or feel great for you, what good is the great service? Sometimes you have to sacrifice a tad to get what you are truly looking for. I go to a shop where they treat me like a family member when i show up. Yet some of my buddies have nothing but bad things to say about the same people. Do not let someone else judge for you. Just go for the better bike and then see where you're relationship with whichever shop you go with goes. Good luck man
    Ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I think the problem with the lower end Giants is that they dont have a Fox rear shock. And i dont think you get the pro-pedal option until X2 I think. I myself have the fuel ex5 and I love it. The only difference in the 5 and 6 I think the 6 has an air front fork instead of a coil. My ex 5 has the pro-pedal and it is really nice to have when you do steep climps. Just my 2 cents

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotwhls
    I think the problem with the lower end Giants is that they dont have a Fox rear shock. And i dont think you get the pro-pedal option until X2 I think. I myself have the fuel ex5 and I love it. The only difference in the 5 and 6 I think the 6 has an air front fork instead of a coil. My ex 5 has the pro-pedal and it is really nice to have when you do steep climps. Just my 2 cents
    Trance X3 has

fork Fox 32 F120R, 120mm travel w/ 15QR Thru Axle

shock Fox Float R

With the Maestro suspension you dont really need pro pedal. Thats what made that suspension design so great.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Any thoughts on the Santa Cruz Superlight? The D XC kit is $1499 and the R XC with a Fox fork is $1799. It's a single-pivot design, but seems like both that bike and the Heckler have been around for ages and have a loyal following.

Dxc: Recon Solo Air 120mm fork, Fox Float R shock, Deore/SLX shifters/derailers, Deore hubs w/ Mavic 117 hoops
    Rxc: Fox 32 Alps 120mm, Fox Float R, SLX/XT shifters/derailers, XT Hubs w/ Mavic 117 hoops

T.W.O.
    Any thoughts on the Santa Cruz Superlight? The D XC kit is $1499 and the R XC with a Fox fork is $1799. It's a single-pivot design, but seems like both that bike and the Heckler have been around for ages and have a loyal following.

Dxc: Recon Solo Air 120mm fork, Fox Float R shock, Deore/SLX shifters/derailers, Deore hubs w/ Mavic 117 hoops
    Rxc: Fox 32 Alps 120mm, Fox Float R, SLX/XT shifters/derailers, XT Hubs w/ Mavic 117 hoops
    Since you are going "there" give the Nickel a try then. It has the shock rate of the blur and 5" travel. Very impressive single pivot bike to ride. Still offer a SC Compact geometry. The only thing I don't know is how much sales is going on for the holidays.

Since we are here already you may also want to consider the Titus. Jenson has some good sales going, I'm sure many other places as well. Racer X, FTM are pretty good price. Of course, Titus went belly up a short while ago. Their products are great though. I have racer x and moto-lite not a problem at all. But it does mean that you may have to build them up.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input and advice. Just went and picked up the 2009 C'dale Rize4 for $1499, and got some Shimano clipless pedals thrown in. After test riding, it was a done deal. Better suspension, better shifting, and felt a bit lighter as well. Suspension is super plush compared to the FSR and EX6. Shifting was flawless and the feel of the Hayes Stroker Rydes felt better than the Avid Elixir 4 on the FSRxc.

Now if this rain would just quit I could go for a ride!!! Actually, I'll go anyways...

I just put my 29er hardtail up on CL for $550, and if I sell that I may upgrade the wheelset to some Stan's Arch tubeless...in white powdercoat of course.

T.W.O.
    Congrats

Hayes Stroker Ryde got some good news about that brake, get Twenty6 Dualie lever, there's a deal on the lever, I'm not sure what color Tyler has but they are $20 normally $75 it's discontinue.

I just ordered for my Oro Puro, and The one I already have one for my J7. Love it
    They are bling and added performance as well.
    http://www.twenty6products.com/2010/...tinued-levers/
    http://www.twenty6products.com/products/

TRANCER
    Congrats man ! My second choice after the Trance X would of probably been the Cdale. I had the Stroker Rydes on my bike and i must say they were really good brakes. They never ever failed and in a year of nasty usage they are still in tip top shape and i am about to put them on an old 94 Marin i am building. Post pics of it dirty as hell when you get back from the muddy ride
    Ride

mtbr member
    LOVE the new ride, very smooth riding and with pro-pedal on the RP2 it really eats up the climbs. I was surprised that even climbing out of the seat there was no noticable bob. I'm glad I went with Rize, I have no complaints at all so far.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast