mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Fuel 90 Disc X Cake 3 Dlx

Any comments on both bikes? Tks. Claudio from BRAZIL.

mtbr member
    I just got the 2 DLX. They are two different bikes. The Fuel is light short travel XC bike and the Cake is more of a allmountain 5" type bike. it really depends on your application as to what to get. But they are very good choices. The geometries are quite different as well, so it would be best to test them out if at all posible.

mtbr member
    May 2004

do forks lockout on both Fuel and Cake 2DLX?

was curious? I am looking at these bikes too and want a fork that will provide me the option for stiffness when climbing.....any feedback would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I asked this question a few weeks ago.

I wanted an XC bike, but bought the Cake 3 DLX. Rode it about a week before taking it back for a Fuel 90. The Cake is not a good XC bike IMO, and I didn't like the geometry, it hurt my back. But that is a subjective matter. My main gripes were the handling and poor chainstay/crank clearance, where the chain can deeply wedge in and gouge the chainstay. Not good for aluminum or carbon. Also the Elite fork was not a good match for the rear SPV, it was just too soft and lacked decent adjustability. Also the left crank arm came loose and fell off, which may or may not have been the shop's fault.

I'm happy with my Fuel, my only regret is spending so much money for disc brakes. They are nice, just not $400 nice.

The 2 bikes are completely different. The Cake is a plush bike good in rough conditions. The Fuel is a fast and firm XC'er. I like the Fuel. If I lived in the mountains I'd probably prefer the Cake.