mtbr member

FSRxc Comp/Expert vs Fuel Ex 8

Hello all.
    after deciding to upgrade from my 6 year old Trek Hardtail, i went on to craigslist and found these three bikes for about the same price (between 1400-1450) and i wanted to get an opinion from the forum.
    so what do you think?
    What, in your opinion, do you think their strengths or weaknesses are?
    Keep in mind that i will try to test ride these before i shell out the money

Thanks in advance
    John

AZ
    banned
    Buy the one that fits the best , by the way if you list the three bikes or links to them you will probably get some very good responces .

MTBR Member
    All 3 would be a huge upgrade from your trek hardtail. You really shouldn't be concerned with the strengths or weaknesses - They all have solid suspension designs and they all will come pretty well equipped(of course those can't be compared specifically b/c we dont know the specific bikes). What you should be concerned with is the fit...if it has top notch parts, but isn't comfortable, it will not be a good fit. It would also be good to identify the type of riding you will be doing.

Model years and more specifics would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Here are the Three Listings.
    They are all pretty much stock and in my size

Trek: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/1562135396.html
    FSRxc Comp:http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/1544179076.html
    FSRxc Expert: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...562816630.html

As for my riding style, it would be aggressive trail riding, but not all mountain riding. I would like something that could take drops of no more than 3 feet, but still descend decently. It would also be nice to have something that could take the small bumps, as my local trail has lots of ruts and rocks which my current bike has trouble with.

Thank you.
    John

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The Trek has the best specs...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My vote is for the Trek. Better spec'd, IMO. However, you might want to see if you can find some proxies to try out for fit. In my personal experience, Trek feels a little too upright, while Specialized was a bit more stretched out, which I like. That's pretty generalized though, and applied to hardtails.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.