mtbr member
    Sep 2010

FS bike for wife

Found a Gary Fisher Sugar 4 and a KHS XC-204 in our price range. Wife is currently riding an older RockHopper with Manitou fork. We are looking for something to increase her comfort and help on the "harder" stuff. She is good at picking lines but still botches some of the more technical parts, mainly she just needs more seat time. Do you think either of these bikes would be a good choice and if one is better, please explain why.

I know the components are on the lower end (KHS has Dart 2 fork ) but this bike might only go a season or 2 before swapping for something better (once she knows her likes/dislikes).

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberSky
    Found a Gary Fisher Sugar 4 and a KHS XC-204 in our price range. Wife is currently riding an older RockHopper with Manitou fork. We are looking for something to increase her comfort and help on the "harder" stuff. She is good at picking lines but still botches some of the more technical parts, mainly she just needs more seat time. Do you think either of these bikes would be a good choice and if one is better, please explain why.

I know the components are on the lower end (KHS has Dart 2 fork ) but this bike might only go a season or 2 before swapping for something better (once she knows her likes/dislikes).
    The Sugar takes the edge off but is not much more comfortable than a steel frame with large tires. I would look for a more compliant design. They also are known to crack at the seat tube swing arm junction.