mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Which FS bike should I get?

Hey guys, I've been looking for a FS bike for some time now and I've narrowed it down to two bikes. I am thinking either a Giant Trance X4 new, or a Specialized Stumpy used, probably around the 07 year so it fits within my price range; which is around 1,300 without tax.

Giant:
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...x4/7321/44098/

Stumpjumper:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Specialized-Stum...82897581681349

I ride mainly single track, but I would like to do some downhill as well. Basically I'm just looking for your guy's two cents.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by zero_cooljr; 05-26-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Former Bike Wrench
    The Specialized has a superior parts spec, but no warranty. The Giant has a full warranty but a fairly weak parts spec.

Suspension wise the Specialized FSR is a fully active system, meaning platform damping and/or a lock out are generally needed when climbing (I own one so I speak from experience). On the flip-side, that active suspension just flies on the descents and remains active even under braking. The Giant suspension is a multi-link that doesn't need much help from the shock to keep from bobbing (I've owned a somewhat similar DW-Link Iron Horse as comparison) during a climb. It also works well on descents but doesn't feel quite as active and plush as the FSR.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the reply. Sounds like in your opinion the Stuntjumper is a better bike, but the Trance isn't to bad. I'm curious as to how risky it is to buy online, because as you can see from how much time is left on the ebay add; I may have to decide quickly.

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    Ha I see we're both looking for similar bikes, as I caught that auction earlier. Yeah I'd agree about the specialized being superior in general, but the Trance has good reviews from what I've seen. Giant seems hit or miss with their upper-end bike models. Some reviews sound dismal to the brand image, while others are in full praise.

BTW: All I ask is that you please don't pay through the nose for a used bike. I've been searching e-bay for weeks for a quality AM bike and I've seen a whole load of 5-8yr old bikes selling for well over 1/2 what they are currently going for in a shop with a warranted bill of sale. Someone's gotta do something about these crazy bidders! lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I still can't make a proper decision. In all honestly I would love to have the Stumpjumer, but I'm a little sketched out on buying a used bike; without being able to see it in person that is. I can possibly get the Trance X4 new at my LBS for about 1200-1300 without tax.

I don't know whether I should keep looking online or just go and buy the Trance so I can start riding this year and get a nicer Stumpy next year.

I guess one positive about the Trance X4 is that it has the same frame as the Trance X, so I could upgrade easily and not have to worry if I have a quality frame.

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zero_cooljr View Post
    I still can't make a proper decision. In all honestly I would love to have the Stumpjumer, but I'm a little sketched out on buying a used bike; without being able to see it in person that is. I can possibly get the Trance X4 new at my LBS for about 1200-1300 without tax.

I don't know whether I should keep looking online or just go and buy the Trance so I can start riding this year and get a nicer Stumpy next year.

I guess one positive about the Trance X4 is that it has the same frame as the Trance X, so I could upgrade easily and not have to worry if I have a quality frame.
    I understand your caution, as I'm a smart shopper as well, but if it's e bay you've got protection if the bike doesn't meet up to the listed condition, plus I ask detailed questions to ferret out nonsense... Besides, bikes in that price range used are usually new $2000-3000+ and owners of said quality bikes take care of them from my exp.

CL is a diff ball game since there's no real guarantee aside from in person inspection. I feel that e bay is safe depending upon your level of inquisitiveness.

I've read many reviews on the Giant Trance, iirc the reviewers claim the fork is junk and doesn't last long, might wanna check into that... GL

GL

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the reply Titanium. Now that auction has ended, but I found the same bike (same year and color) only in better condition. So I have another question, how long does a quality bike like the Stumpy last if treated well? Say I did purchase the 2007 Stumpy I plan on using it for roughly 3-4 years of solid riding, how well do you think it would hold up?

It seems like everyone here is leaning towards the Stumpy, anyone else? More feedback is greatly appreciated.

AZ
    banned

It seems like everyone here is leaning towards the Stumpy, anyone else? More feedback is greatly appreciated.
    If your planning on long term ownership a warranty is the way to go. FWIW the Trance X platform is one of the better ones and is upgrade worthy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Is 3 years considered a relatively long ownership in the bike world? Not trying to be a smart ass, just curious.

AZ
    banned
    Is 3 years considered a relatively long ownership in the bike world? Not trying to be a smart ass, just curious.
    Could be, some people change bikes all the time , others not so much. At three years expected ownership I would opt for a bike with a warranty, but that's just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have the opportunity to get the Stumpjumper for about 1000, that saves me roughly 3-400 dollars at least. The stumpy is looking more and more appealing. But I still like the Trance . Decisions, decisions...

If anyone has any more input, again it would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    trance......highly recommending to save as best you can to get to the X3. Spec'd much much better and loses a few pounds.

very close to year end model closeouts......ive seen last year models X3 for right about 1500. I wanted to do a frame swap to a Trance frame, but cant find one used anywhere.......to me it is a good sign for a bike when you cant find a lot of used ones in the market, everyone is out ridin em and loving em.

mtbr member
    dont forget the fork and shock might need to be rebuilt soon on a 2-3 year old bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtylerdurden View Post
    trance......highly recommending to save as best you can to get to the X3. Spec'd much much better and loses a few pounds.

very close to year end model closeouts......ive seen last year models X3 for right about 1500. I wanted to do a frame swap to a Trance frame, but cant find one used anywhere.......to me it is a good sign for a bike when you cant find a lot of used ones in the market, everyone is out ridin em and loving em.
    I am with "iamtylerdurden" on this one. The Trance would be my pick for that budget. I have seen the X3 discounted to $1500 as well... I wouldn't buy a used bike like what you are looking at that is more than 3 years old. From what I understand the bearings in the stumpy can only be changed out so many times before you start to get excessive play in the rear. Since you are considering used have you thought about something like a Turner? I have seen some decent deals on Ebay for Turner bikes and they are usually equipped with higher end components. Turners have journal bearings that are much more robust than your run of the mill sealed bearings... albeit you do have to grease them 1-2 times a year (takes 5 minutes).

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I would like the X3 but 1500 is a bit to much for me . That's why if I could get the Specialized for 1,000 that would be a huge plus. I'm not overly concerned with damaging parts to soon, I live in North Dakota and there is not really any insanely rough terrain.

I could also purchase the X4 and upgrade components in the next few years. Or I could get the Specialized and sell it in two years and purchase an X3 or something comparable.

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    Argh! I'm in the same boat... $1500 seems like the winning bid for all the bikes I've missed out on (Blur LT, Pitch, Ellsworth Moment, Enduro, Wolfridge 6.8 uuuugh!)... Anything less is a mud fight. Argh!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I completely agree, it's a difficult process.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I pulled the trigger on the Stumpy, got it for just under 1000. I'll post some pics when I get her.

Omnipotent
    May 2011
    Excellent, can't wait to see yer new rig; hopefully I'll be joining you soon with posts of my new toy! ARRRRR!