Thread: Frankenbike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Frankenbike!

Ok so here's the back story: I got this 2008 GF HiFi Carbon front triangle on ebay for like $40 2 years back. It seemed like a great deal (and it would be if it was possible to find the rest of the bike). So I searched, searched, and searched until I was blue in the face for the rear, and when I finally found one I was about an hour late because someone snatched it up. Finally after a while I found the rear end from a Cannondale Rize that looked very similar in size and geometry, but not as many complaints about the chainstays breaking like with the GF's. It was cheap (approx. $50) so I went for it and bought it. So I recently got it all and pieced it together and this is what it looks like.

A few small modifications needed to be made:
    1. Where the chainstays bolt to the frame was a little wider than the frame itself so I threw a couple of washers in there and got a nice snug fit.
    2. The bottom bolt for the linkage didn't fit the frame so for now I just put a bolt from home depot with some washers through it. I plan on trying to find something better for that, but for mock up purposes, it works.
    3. Flipped the seatstays upside down, because the Rize link mounts different and there is a stop not allowing it to swing down.

The questions I have for you guys are: Do you think it will be worth the effort? Do you think it will be safe? And my biggest question is about the linkage. I don't think the shock mount on the linkage will work, so I was thinking of having it slotted out where the shock would mount. So the shock would mount on the bolt holding the seatstays to the link and the edges of the link would serve as the bushings for the shock (I would just need a sleeve of sorts to get the thickness correct for the shock to be mounted). I have a friend who works in a machine shop and says all of this would be pretty easy, doo you guys think this will all work? What are your thoughts overall?
    Frankenbike!-img_1282.jpgFrankenbike!-img_1283.jpgFrankenbike!-img_1286.jpg
    Last edited by d.pace7; 06-20-2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Pics upside down

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Not completely sure why all of these pics uploaded upside down. On my phone and my computer they are right side up. Will try and get fixed.

T.W.O.
    Well, if you ride that on the street may be it's ok

You have more than fitting issue to deal with. The Gary Fisher has the proprietary G2 geometry as well as both bikes have different suspension design. The suspension linkage and rate is going to be different, shock size? what to use GF or C'dale? I'd say keep waiting

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah those are things I didn't really think through. I have still been scanning everywhere on the web for the parts. I actually have the seat stays and the suspension linkage, all I need is the dreaded chainstay. My other option is that I have a friend who is an aerospace engineer for Boeing and he has told me if I can find exact dimensions he could draw it up on CAD so I could just take it into a machine shop and have them make it. So it would be the only part of the bike that is alloy, but knowing where those chainstays usually broke is a bonus because I can have that area reinforced so I don't have to worry about it breaking. So my question is, is there somewhere I can find really good dimensions for the chainstays?

T.W.O.
    That cannondale chainstay is broken? Chainstay is part of the rear triangle.

I'm afraid the cheap will become expensive quickly, in order to make this trail worthy. The only member I know that could see the solution to your problem is Magura, PM him a link to this thread. He's definitely a smartest member I know when it comes to this outside frame building forum.