mtbr member
    May 2006

frame warrenty (which company does lifetime warranty - mod title edit)

What manufactor's offer a life time frame warrenty. Looking For a new 6" all mountain bike, and a life time frame warrenty is important to me. Thanks for the help

Glad to Be Alive
    trek..................
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    most offer some sort of lifetime warranty. i know giant, trek, specilaized, jamis, felt, probably others.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Not all lifetime warranties are as literal as you may think, read the fine print for each and your dealer and the manufacturer's rep will also have a lot to do with it. Personally I've had Trek tell me my "lifetime" warranty was no more.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

bi-winning
    I had no questions asked when i made a warranty claim through giant. dealer verified the crack, and shipped it out. it took a while to get a replacement (maybe because I'm in Canada, or the time of year it was) but a new frame did come, and i continue to ride it happily.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

The Notorious S.L.O
    Don't know if the LBS was blowing smoke, but I was told that most companies look for reasons to void the warranty, and that a couple of things that would almost certainly void the warranty would be changing shocks and forks, not necessarily just longer travel, but to any that perform differently than the OEM stuff.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

mtbr member
    The real problem with a warranty is most folks will confuse it with insurance. Hitting a tree, not a warranty. Modifying in a way that leads to a failure, not a warranty.

If you look at dirt bikes they come with a sticker on the fender stating there is no warranty for anything even manufacturing booboo's like the wrong bearing on the crank for example. Why? Because in the boom days when everyone had a dirtbike the folks making them were being hammered with claims, valid and otherwise. The big guys got together and made a gentlemen's agreement that there would be no more coverage.

With the huge number of bike companies out there I can't ever see something like this happening, but I can see the large companies becoming as aggressive as the small ones in cases like this. The buzzword around business is "Lost Revenue", no so much the money you could make, but plugging holes in the leaky boat. That means all the frames that the sales reps give out to win friends and influence people will dry up.

Oakley and SIDI both had "lifetime warranties" on their products. I could have my shoes replaced yearly, and get a new frame for ten year old glasses no sweat. They stopped offering lifetime coverage on new products, and also yanked the coverage on the older ones. They now offer a discount on a new pair if you send back your Mumbo's, and SIDI will send your shoes out to a cobbler.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by btadlock
    Don't know if the LBS was blowing smoke, but I was told that most companies look for reasons to void the warranty, and that a couple of things that would almost certainly void the warranty would be changing shocks and forks, not necessarily just longer travel, but to any that perform differently than the OEM stuff.
    I've never had a problem with a company not living up to it's warranty, or looking for reasons to void it. I have even had a couple companies go outside the boundaries of their warranty to make sure I was a happy camper.

I HAVE had LBS' try to wriggle out of dealing with warranty issues. Not sure why, other than it creates work for them when they are not getting any tangible benefits. Then when I contact the company itself, they make everything right.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    I've never had a problem with a company not living up to it's warranty, or looking for reasons to void it. I have even had a couple companies go outside the boundaries of their warranty to make sure I was a happy camper.

I HAVE had LBS' try to wriggle out of dealing with warranty issues. Not sure why, other than it creates work for them when they are not getting any tangible benefits. Then when I contact the company itself, they make everything right.
    I have had to warranty 3 bikes. 1 giant, 1 specialized stumpy and 1 Turner flux. The giant was taken care of by my LBS within 2 weeks. The Specialized was dealt with by the same shop no problems. The Turner broke because I screwed up and hit a stump and a rock. It had a very small crack near the weld on the head tube. Almost unnoticable. I called them and sent a pic and they had a new front triangle at my shop the next day no questions asked. Turner has by far the best customer service I have ever experienced.

Dr. Pepper drinker

Pick a good, reputable company and don't forget what Tom Callahan said...

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why do they put a guarantee on a box? Hmm, very interesting.
    Ted: I'm listening.
    Tommy: Here's how I see it. A guy puts a guarantee on the box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
    Ted: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
    Tommy: 'Course it does. Ya think if you leave that box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter.
    Ted: What's your point?
    Tommy: The point is, how do you know the Guarantee Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.
    Ted: But why do they put a guarantee on the box then?
    Tommy: Because they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me.
    Ted: Hmm. Okay, I'll buy from you.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I think a lot of whether you will get the warranty fulfilled or not is which customer service rep you reach to report the problem. I have read a lot of stories on here about companies fulfilling warranty service on bikes even though the one seeking the warranty service was not the original purchaser. Two companies come to mind which have been mentioned frequently here for fulfilling warranties that way are Giant and Specialized, not that others won't or don't. -GT2005

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why do they put a guarantee on a box? Hmm, very interesting.
    Ted: I'm listening.
    Tommy: Here's how I see it. A guy puts a guarantee on the box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
    Ted: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
    Tommy: 'Course it does. Ya think if you leave that box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter.
    Ted: What's your point?
    Tommy: The point is, how do you know the Guarantee Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.
    Ted: But why do they put a guarantee on the box then?
    Tommy: Because they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me.
    Ted: Hmm. Okay, I'll buy from you.
    Great Tommy Boy reference!
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy

the only first hand experiece that I have had with a warranty, was on a manitou shock, the reverse arch cracked, replaced not issues.
    Like I said, couldn't say whether the LBS was blowing smoke or not......
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Cannondale

I had to have the rear swingarm replaced on my Prophet. The factory pivot bearing was defective. Cannondale replaced the whole swingarm, no problems, no questions asked.

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke
    The big guys got together and made a gentlemen's agreement that there would be no more coverage.
    Isn't that an antitrust violation?
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

mtbr member
    straight off the Specialized website:

Question
    I have heard that your warranty on Aluminum frames has gone from lifetime to a 5 yr. warranty. Is this true?

Answer
    For a period of time we went down to a 5 year warranty, but now we have decided to go back to a limited lifetime warranty on all frames. This warranty covers all older frames that were sold under the 5 year warranty change but is limited to covering the frames for manufacturer defects and is valid only for the original owner of the bicycle.
    We noted that while other companies were dropping to 5 year, 1 year and 90 day warranties that their quality was dropping as well. We want to hold on to our following and let everyone know that we want to stand behind every bike we sell

All I can say about Specialized is nothin' but good. I had 2 frames replaced in less then 2 years with no questions asked. The first frame was a 99 fsr comp which was replaced with a 2003 fsr pro with a new fox shock. Ya can't beat that with a stick, I tell you.

I had 2 frames replaced in less then 2 years
    I have had to warranty 3 bikes. 1 giant, 1 specialized stumpy and 1 Turner flux
    i made a warranty claim through giant
    I've had Trek tell me my "lifetime" warranty was no more.

Maybe ol' Tommy Boy had something there...

The Trek was the only bike I had warranty issues with (multiple times, thus apparently the decision of Trek that it was my fault instead of their poor carbon gluing). I had an older Trek road bike with no issues to be fair. Since the Trek mountain bike (one of the first OCLV models), I've not had any warranty issues at all with three Santa Cruz models and one Moots.
    I bought the Trek mountain bike because of the lifetime warranty, too. A friend of mine has gone through at least 4 Giant frames, he likes their warranty program. YMMV.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke
    They now offer a discount on a new pair if you send back your Mumbo's, and SIDI will send your shoes out to a cobbler.
    Ha, thats funny, i recieved no less than four pairs of Dominators in ten years between 1990 and 2000, or thereabouts. I never lied, or misrepresented...I simply said, "I am a sales jockey/mechanic/owner(whatever it was at the time) in a busy bike shop, and I wore these out, I love them, can you hook a brotha' up?"

Always a new pair, no questions asked.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."