mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Frame size crisis - Need advice quickly

Coming from a 20 year old rigid frame Cannondale, I just brought home my dream bike yesterday. Problem is, I'm not sure if I bought the right size frame. It's a 2014 Trek Fuel EX 7. Luckily, the bike shop owner is more than happy to exchange it since I haven't ridden it yet. I have posted a couple pictures to show what I look like on the bike. If you could please take a look and give me your opinions, I would appreciate it. I am not posting my size, the bike size or any of my dimensions on purpose. I would ask rather that you give me your opinion based solely on how I fit on the bike. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated since I would like to make a decision by tomorrow. Thanks!

Please view the photos here:

Trek Fuel EX 7 - frame size evaluation

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm a bit of a retro grouch so I'm not at all with the latest fashion of super long seatposts JSYN. My personal opinion is "one size too small". I run about 9 inches of seat post, not a foot plus. I'm also basing that on the fact you have a bunch of spacers under the stem, meaning the head tube is too short for you, and you are running a stem with a fair bit of angle, also meaning the head tube is too short for you.

Take that bike back asap and get the next biggest size.
    occasional cyclist

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    I concur with dru's evaluation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Get the bigger bike!

mtbr member
    Fourths.
    Agree, too small.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Well I got the bigger frame and I'm still way to low on the bike. Did my first ride and my back and neck are shot. So I got an adjustable riser stem for nothing more than to evaluate different riding positions given my back and neck problems. Problem is, this is way up there - I think this is going to be difficult to emulate with a riser stem and riser handlebars. So why it is not recommended to ride the bike this way? What is it that can happen? I'm wondering if it's safe to do one or two rides to evaluate this position?

Check out the photos of the new set up here:
    Trek Fuel EX 7 - View my frame size evaluation photos

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Holy cow! Is your name Goliath? You have a 23" size frame and your seat height is at light switch level!
    You don't have a bike frame size crisis - you have a body frame size crisis but you can't do anything about that I suppose. Maybe you should just forget the bike and run

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I hear ya. Everything is a pain in the ass when you're this tall. The prototypical NFL quarterback is exactly my size and weight - I should have played football.

It's about showing up.
    As long as you have enough steerer tube, which you do, you can fit the bars where you want them with available stems. Since you have special needs it will look different. So what.
    I don't rattle.