mtbr member
    Jan 2011

FRAME QUESTION about JAMIS

I might have a chance to get a 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Sport, i was wondering how good the frames are, I heard that the frames are weak on the chainstay area and tend to break there. Does anyone have any experiience with these bikes.?.?.?...I know there is a Jamis thread on this site but I figured this thread was viewed more

mtbr member
    I ride an 05 xc comp. Rear triangle was replaced by the previous owner who was probably 200-220 lbs. I'm more like 170 fully loaded with gear.

My current build proobably has 200-300 miles on it now. I haven't had any issues. I also run Stans Crest rims if that tells you anything. I will be looking to swap frames soon, personally not a fan of how this one fits me. Bike itself is a rocket and is still reasonably plush for the bumpy stuff.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Worked at Jamis dealer for a few years and yes those rear triangles did break A LOT. Jamis was always very good with replacements. That 05 is out of warranty and you are the second owner. If you do any serious mountain biking you will break that rear triangle eventually.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

Former Bike Wrench
    I would steer clear of the '05 frames, too many swingarm issues.