Thread: Frame mods

mtbr member

Frame mods

Don't know if anyone cares or if this is common knowledge but here's some info...

On a Giant Revel 3 frame I was able to grind off the kickstand plate, rack mount nubs, cable holders for front derailleur (1x9), rear brake cable holders, and rear rim brake mount.

I also cut 2.5mm off the driveside bb shell to allow use of a bb mounted chain guide. Internal threads were one inch and bb threads were only one half inch so it doesn't affect how many threads connect, and if I remove the chainguide in the future I can just use a 2.5mm washer.

All of this saved a surprising amount of weight (don't know total as I did it in phases and with other non frame changes)

T.W.O.

Frame mods

Hmm, so you ground off 2.5mm from your bb? I'm curious of why the bb mount guide does not fit your stock bb.

Personally, facing a bit off the bb to fine tune the fit is no problem but 2.5mm is not recommended.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Hmm, so you ground off 2.5mm from your bb? I'm curious of why the bb mount guide does not fit your stock bb.

Personally, facing a bit off the bb to fine tune the fit is no problem but 2.5mm is not recommended.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure what the stock bb was, but I'm using a 73x107 square taper. I'm also using a MRP 1.x bb mounted chain guide that is intended to replace a 2.5mm washer used on external bb's. So if I just throw on the chain guide my bb would be off center by 2.5mm. I could have installed a seat tube mounted guide, but I wanted the cleaner/lower weight guide. There is an excess amount of threads inside the shell and the 2.5mm removed didn't affect the welds, so easy solution.