mtbr member
    Jan 2018

frame issues with a second hand bicycle that I could buy

Hello guys and thanks in advance for the support.
    This is my problem:Ive been trying to buy a new bicycle on internet and this one seemed interesting to me(specially for its price),but then I was a little worried about the state of the frame.Do you think you can give me some advice?Here are some pictures of it:

frame issues with a second hand bicycle that I could buy-gt.jpg

frame issues with a second hand bicycle that I could buy-gt2.jpg

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    It's an OLD GT. What issues?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks for your answer,this seems like an old GT but since Im not an expert in bicycles im not quite sure about the state of the frame ,I see a sort of long welded scar that I havent seen before in other bycicles and also Im not sure about the the color of the frame(whether its original or not),cause it may hide more scars(who knows).

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    I'm guessing you're talking about the reinforcement on the downtube. That's common on that frame. The frame looks original, to me. Whether it's worn out and reached it life expectancy is a big risk one takes when buying used online. Personally, unless you're in search of something special that you can't find locally, I'd be buying new or at least looking on a local level where you can go and see and touch the bike. It's just too easy to miss imperfections in photos. Especially if the seller is a bit deceitful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    I'm guessing you're talking about the reinforcement on the downtube. That's common on that frame. The frame looks original, to me. Whether it's worn out and reached it life expectancy is a big risk one takes when buying used online. Personally, unless you're in search of something special that you can't find locally, I'd be buying new or at least looking on a local level where you can go and see and touch the bike. It's just too easy to miss imperfections in photos. Especially if the seller is a bit deceitful.
    Oh I see,I thought it was more like a repaired broken frame .But I will consider the point about the life expectancy as you said and if posible go and see the bike personally.

Thanks so much for your support dude.