Thread: Frame Creek

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009

Frame Creek

My 2010 Rockhopper seems to creak when I either

A) Put a lot of torque on the drive train via the peddles.
    and/or
    B) I enact the rear disc break and push down on the seat. When I do this the frame seems to really creak.

The problem is I cannot be 100% sure it is the frame and not another component. Any tips?
    Last edited by BeaverTail; 09-17-2009 at 07:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail
    My 2010 Rockhopper seems to creak when I either

A) Put a lot of torque on the drive train via the peddles.
    and/or
    B) I enact the rear disc break and push down on the seat. When I do this the frame seems to really creak.

The problem is I cannot be 100% sure it is the frame and not another component. Any tips?
    Pull out the seatpost and grease the portion that's inserted into the seat tube. Grease the saddle rails too. (These things are easy to do, and the former should be done periodically anyway to prevent the seatpost from seizing in the seat tube.)

If the creak goes away, you know the cause. If it doesn't, there's more work to do. Do the following, checking to see if the creak has gone away after each step. (You can stop when you find the creak.)

Grease the threads on the BB cups. Torque to spec.

Remove the pedals and grease those threads. You can use blue (medium) thread locker instead, if you wish.

Make sure that the chainring bolts are tight.

If your bike has rear suspension, disassemble each pivot and service each of the bearings. (Pry the seals up, remove the old grease, and pack in new grease.) Replace any bearings that still feel excessively notchy after being serviced.

Check the shock bushings and shock mounting hardware for excessive wear. Replace the bushings (and mounting hardware too, if necessary).

Disassemble the shock and lube the seals.

Replace the BB bearings. (Or, if you can get at them, you can try to overhaul them first.)

Wash the frame and inspect carefully for cracks. It helps to do this in the sunlight. Warranty the frame if a crack is found.

Overhaul the pedals. (Disassemble and regrease, etc.)

Check your shoes for worn or loose pedal cleats.

Make sure that the wheel skewers are tight. Check spoke tension on the wheels.

Aug 2009
    I already checked the saddle and saddle post, which are not the cause. It sounds like its coming from the BB.

Aug 2009
    I found the creak, it was one of the cables.