DaBomb Molotov rider

New question here. FR/DJ + XC combo: Trek Bruiser 2 or best alternatives?

Hi there, great to have a forum for MTB fans like myself to help each other make good decisions. I checked some of the older threads, and this is a very helpful forum! I'm currently deciding about my next bike, and could use some help.

My riding style: I'm looking to do mainly urban (eg 4ft drops onto flat pavement) and some tricks (walls, stairs, parks etc), plus aggressive XC trails. Yet I'd like something I can still take on the normal XC trails as well (I'm not into racing, so I don't need the lightest weight frame!)
    My size: I'm 6ft 2", 170lb
    My budget: approx Cdn$1000

I used to ride only XC (have a 2000 Kona Firemountain), but am looking to get a new bike that is more versatile. My main use will probably urban, doing drops and tricks, but I'd still like to hit some XC trails occasionally as well so I don't want something exclusively urban like a Specialized P series bike.

Some of the options I'm considering:
    2004 Norco Sasquatch
    2005 Norco Bigfoot (new for 2005 is a bashguard and Dirt Jam Comp fork!)
    2005 Trek Bruiser 2
    2005 Giant STP 1
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Pro Disk
    2004 Brodie Hellion or Brodie Bruzza

Are there any other bikes that are versatile enough to do both DJ/FR and XC, that I should be considering?

The Trek Bruiser 2 seems not very well known - anyone familiar with it? It comes with a MZ Comp 130mm fork, mechanical disc brakes, bash guard, and seems geared towards urban but quite versatile.
    The Giant STP 1 was new for 2004, and also seems sweet - I'd love to hear from any owners of this bike what it's like for trails as well.
    I'm able to get a 2004 Norco Sasquatch at a good price, but I wonder if it's too heavy for the trails? Although I don't do any XC racing, I'm looking for a bike that's not catered exclusively to dirt jumping or urban, so would that rule out the Sasquatch?
    Other options are the Sepcialized Hardrock Pro Disk and the Brodie Hellion or Bruzza. But they seem catered more to XC, and perhaps aren't suitable for urban/DJ or FR? Maybe someone can set me straight on that - if they're fine for urban and DJ, I should consider them as well.

Any other suggestions/comments welcome! Thanks in advance guys!

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    I used to ride a Kona Cowan has my everything ride.

It was a decent XC ride and was great for jumps.

All the Kona out of bound hardtails have simillar geometry, so take a look at any of those.

DaBomb Molotov rider

Trek Bruiser 2 vs Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc

Quote Originally Posted by londonlad
    My riding style: I'm looking to do mainly urban (eg 4ft drops onto flat pavement) and some tricks (walls, stairs, parks etc), plus aggressive XC trails. Yet I'd like something I can still take on the normal XC trails as well (I'm not into racing, so I don't need the lightest weight frame!)
    My size: I'm 6ft 2", 170lb
    My budget: approx Cdn$1000

Some of the options I'm considering:
    2004 Norco Sasquatch
    2005 Norco Bigfoot (new for 2005 is a bashguard and Dirt Jam Comp fork!)
    2005 Trek Bruiser 2
    2005 Giant STP 1
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Pro Disk
    2004 Brodie Hellion or Brodie Bruzza

The Trek Bruiser 2 seems not very well known - anyone familiar with it? It comes with a MZ Comp 130mm fork, mechanical disc brakes, bash guard, and seems geared towards urban but quite versatile.
    I'm liking the look of the 2005 Trek Bruiser so far.
    Specs: http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2005/...n/bruiser2.jsp
    The last Bruisers lineup were in 2001 or 2002 I think, but it seems to me that this is going to be a fairly inexpensive bike that will compete well with other versatile bikes geared slightly toward the DJ/urban category.
    Right now I think I'm tossing up between it and the 2005 Hardrock Pro Disk, which goes for around the same price, and seems to be a more beefed up XC bike with similar style frame and components.
    Specs: http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMode...g1ccovm.j27003

Which should I pick, keeping in mind that I want a bike that is versatile, and yet can handle four foot drops onto flat?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Oi! Londonlad

Hey Londonlad!

I have a very similar problem as you! I have $1200 to spend though:

I haven't yet decided, but this is what I've found so far:

Norco Sasquach is super-heavy
    Kona Stuff is heavy
    Giant STP1 is also heavy, but perhaps a pound or two lighter than the stuff.

all 3 are built like tanks...all are quiet easy and responsive to ride

...I wanna do DJ/Urban but ALSO trails...and I dont really wanna have to hike up the hill with the sasquach so I know exactly where you're coming from. Hardcore DH is the only thing I'm probably not gonna do.

I got to do some stair sets with the STP1, Marzocchi DROP OFFS feel really nice, but the back deraillers felt like a load of crap waiting to break off...pretty cheap component to change though I guess.

Someone on the board suggested a santacruz chameleon, but i'm yet to find and ride one.

Keep me updated on how it goes!

DaBomb Molotov rider
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenlegs
    I have a very similar problem as you! I have $1200 to spend though:
    I haven't yet decided, but this is what I've found so far:
    Norco Sasquach is super-heavy
    Kona Stuff is heavy
    Giant STP1 is also heavy, but perhaps a pound or two lighter than the stuff.
    all 3 are built like tanks...all are quiet easy and responsive to ride
    ...I wanna do DJ/Urban but ALSO trails...and I dont really wanna have to hike up the hill with the sasquach so I know exactly where you're coming from. Hardcore DH is the only thing I'm probably not gonna do.
    I got to do some stair sets with the STP1, Marzocchi DROP OFFS feel really nice, but the back deraillers felt like a load of crap waiting to break off...pretty cheap component to change though I guess.
    Someone on the board suggested a santacruz chameleon, but i'm yet to find and ride one.
    Keep me updated on how it goes!
    Thanks for the reply. Right now I'm leaning away from getting the Sasquatch or Bigfoot, mainly because I don't think I need the hydro disk brakes and heavy forks - it's designed more for downhill and heavy shore riding which I won't do all that much of. For more DJ/Urban/trails I can do without that, so that makes both the Trek Bruiser 2 and Hardrock Pro Disk better options. If I go for the Bruiser 2, I'll have the drivetrain upgraded to Deore; if I get the Hardrock Pro Disk I'll get a bashguard. Both seem to fit the bill quite well, though if I had an extra $200 to spend like you do, I would upgrade the fork as well.

Have you considered the Rockhopper Pro Disk? It is right in your price range (MSRP Cdn $1199), and the 2005 model has changed significantly and is more geared towards street and urban. Might be just what you're looking for. You can't go by reviews of the 2004 model though, but will need to talk to a store that sells Specialized to get the reasons why and how the 2005 Rockhopper Pro Disk has changed for your style of riding.

Have you considered the Trek Bruiser 2 or Hardrock Pro Disk with an upgraded fork? If so, I'm wondering what your impressions are of these two bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenbike
    I used to ride a Kona Cowan has my everything ride.

It was a decent XC ride and was great for jumps.

All the Kona out of bound hardtails have simillar geometry, so take a look at any of those.
    Also, the Brodie Hellion looks like it would work too, lists at $999,
    http://www.brodiebikes.com/_2004/bur...lion/index.php
    Decent components, 8" Hayes mechs, 100mm MX Comp fork, 69 deg HA, etc.

DaBomb Molotov rider
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    Also, the Brodie Hellion looks like it would work too, lists at $999,
    http://www.brodiebikes.com/_2004/bur...lion/index.php
    Decent components, 8" Hayes mechs, 100mm MX Comp fork, 69 deg HA, etc.
    Yes I have also looked at the Brodie Hellion (see pic below), but it seems to have a more XC style geometry, or is that just imagination?

DaBomb Molotov rider

what i got

Brokenlegs asked me to keep him posted about what I would do. Well I didn't end up getting the Trek Bruiser 2. I got a good deal on a custom Da Bomb Molotov. It's a dual slalom bike, and perhaps a bike like this is the all-round bike you are looking for as well. Dual slalom bikes are generally tough enough to handle some free-riding, plus the hits of jumps and urban riding, and yet light enough to move around in the air and have fun with.

My Molotov has a 16" frame and weighs 33lb total. Check out the attached pic (unfortunately somewhat dark - it doesn't quite do justice to the bike!). The other components aren't bad either - RockShox Psylo XC U-Turn fork adjustable from 80-125mm for different conditions; eyeletted Rhyno Lite rims, Kenda Kinetic tires, 6" mechanical disc brakes, Deore drivetrain, FSA AlphaDrive crank with Blackspire RingGod bashguard, VP-550 Alloy BMX style platform pedals, SDG Freestyle seat, FSA "The Pig" Headset, Pazzaz handlebars, OURY Mountain Bike Grips, plus a lovely lightning paint job!

It seems perfect for light free riding, urban, dirt jumping, and street riding - exactly the versatility I am after. And the short wheel-base and small frame is great for some trials type moves, popping up the front wheel, moving the bike around in the air, and doing other tricks. The same is probably true of most dual slalom bike - terrific all purpose bikes. If you're looking for a cheap all-round freerider, maybe you need to consider a bike like this. I think I can have a lot of fun doing everything on this bike, wouldn't you say?

DaBomb Molotov rider
    I just love the special edition lightning paint job on this bike too! (see pics below)