mtbr member

Fox Talas fork and the "Brain" questions

I'm a newb, but have been learning quite a bit and am now looking for my second bike. I'd prefer to buy (another) used bike because I'm still not certain about exactly what I want. I learned quite a bit from the first bike, a 2008 Reign 1 and want to get something a little less "all-mountain," but still full-suspension and medium travel.

I've seen a few Stumpjumper Elites that have a Fox Talas RL front fork which advertises 3 separate travel settings: 100, 120 and 140 mm. This seems like a good thing to me--more options, But I don't know if there might be some drawbacks also.

Some of these bikes come with a Fox rear shock that is controlled by the "Brain" and some of them have "plain" Fox shocks with 3 Pro Pedal settings. I've read here that the 2011 "Brains" have problems, but don't know if those extend to earlier models. Also interested in opinions on the overall value/effectiveness of the Brain in general, especially compared to less automatic rear shock systems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Previous to this model year the Stumpjumper FSR had 3 travel adjust positions, for 2011 it has been changed to 140mm and 110mm. Which is an improvement in my opinion, and makes operation a bit simpler. I really like the new Talas, it rides great, pop switch to climb, get to the top flip it back to full travel.

I've had bikes with Triads and bikes with Fox Brains. I like the brain because I tend to run my suspension on the stiffer side. So with a Triad I wasn't using all the travel because I wanted a more efficient ride. With the brain set almost all the way firm bike climbs really well but also is plush once the brain opens on decents. It's nice not having to switch the rear shock on and off.

I just bought a 11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert and could not be happier with it. Bike climbs great in the lower travel setting and feels really stable on decents, its been muddy here still so haven't really opened her up yet, but I can tell it's going to be a great bike.

mtbr member
    So the TALAS is a nice fork I have one from an older Stumpy FS on my Kona SS. Like any air fork you will want to get it rebuilt every so often - they can get quirky if you don't rebuild them. The shock has similar results; I'm not a huge fan of the brain, but some really like it. I've ridden a few Stumpys with it, and I prefer a regular shock. The brains seemed to get quirky quicker than a normal shock.

Either way I'm sure you will be happy. The bike will be alot lighter than the reign and I'm guessing you will be a better climber with it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I think you'll like the TALAS. I run the '10 36 RC2 FIT with 160-130-100 adjustment on a GT Sanction 1.0 but usually leave it at 160 for rocky PA trails. It is plush - I ride a lot and have it serviced annually. Definitely worth the money.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I ended up going to the LBS yesterday to test some bikes, including new Stumpjumpers. Got seduced into a new Yeti ASR-5, so my Stumpy/Brain experiment will have to wait.... They didn't have a Stumpy with the Brain shock, but this Yeti was on closeout (2010 Enduro build) and I couldn't resist it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fox Talas fork and the "Brain" questions-tree-side-small.jpg  

Last edited by Porschefan; 04-09-2011 at 07:24 PM.

T.W.O.
    Nice bike, btw don't ride in the gear combo nothing good can come out of it, it looks like small/small

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    Nice bike, btw don't ride in the gear combo nothing good can come out of it, it looks like small/small
    Thanks.....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    how much was that thing. It looks awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlepito
    how much was that thing. It looks awesome.
    Thanks...I think it's pretty cool too.

Here's the story:

Bought a Yeti ASR 5....