Thread: FOX Talas 160mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

FOX Talas 160mm

i recently got a 2011 trek fuel ex 6. the bike is super smooth but i was thinking about replacing the fork with something with a little more travel. my old bike has a fox fork and was wondering if anyone has put a new fork on the fuel series or what you all think about this

T.W.O
    I wouldn't. It is designed around a 120mm travel fork and it is an XC bike. Usually the most will jump up is about 20mm and you still may even have handling problems. I jumped up 20mm then what was designed around and it makes the front end come up on climbs a little easier but I haven't seen it handle differently.

I think a 40mm increase would be just too much.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by pfox90
    I wouldn't. It is designed around a 120mm travel fork and it is an XC bike. Usually the most will jump up is about 20mm and you still may even have handling problems. I jumped up 20mm then what was designed around and it makes the front end come up on climbs a little easier but I haven't seen it handle differently.

I think a 40mm increase would be just too much.
    +1 it may even void the warranty.

How much of the travel are you using you can check by the o ring on the fork stanchion or put a zip tie. How often have you bottom out your fork, If you have the suspension set up right and still need more travel then I would not go 160 may be 140 talas.

Take some time to set up your bike properly may be you'd find out that you don't need the upgrade.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    ORrider184, on what sort of trails are you taking that Fuel EX6? If it's just XC/trail, then you've got more than enough bike and travel.