mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Found a bike in the storage: Gary Fisher Montare

Hi. New member/rider here. I found my dad's Gary Fisher Montare in the storage a few nights ago. We tried researching information, but came out unsuccessful. Just trying to figure out what year it is. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Go over to the Vintage/Retro/Classic board. They probably can help, but can occasionally be grumpy when people are fishing for info on bikes to sell on Ebay.

And check out Bikepedia - there might be something in there (or it might be old enough that maybe not).

The threadless headset, canti brakes, and 'normal' bottom bracket (instead of a pressed in job) lead me to think it is in the '93 ish to '95 time frame. Later should have V-brakes, earlier should have a threaded headset. Grip shift and STX-RC?? would put it close to there too.

If the guesses above are close. It would put it at a midlevel bike. Not bad at all, but not the top of the line either. Brand new $700-$1000 ish.

Edit - wow. Wasn't far off...BIKEPEDIA .

Funky thing with the bike will be the fork. It is a 1 1/4" according to the specs. Looks like it is stock according to the listing too. Try looking at a year earlier and later to compare and see if there are any changes from the one I linked above.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hey, thanks the reply. Your find seems accurate. I'm pretty new to mountain bikes. Never owned one so this would be my first. Do you think this would be an acceptable first bike to ride on trails?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by stesh
    Do you think this would be an acceptable first bike to ride on trails?
    Absolutely. Get it tuned up and ride the crap out of it. One of my early mountain bikes was a trek with all the same parts and it took quite a beating. Thats a nicer beginner bike than what the same money buys these days.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Cool! If i wanted to upgrade parts, what do you guys suggest. I was thinking suspension, but unsure of what and how to choose. Sorry if im asking to many questions.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Cool! If i wanted to upgrade parts, what do you guys suggest. I was thinking suspension, but unsure of what and how to choose. Sorry if im asking to many questions.
    Don't bother. You'll get no additional benefit out of upgrading that bike if you're an inexperienced rider. Having that bike is an opportunity to learn how to ride without complications of suspension upkeep and adjustments. When you're ready to upgrade you can sell that on craigslist for at least $200.

Go spend your money on some good shorts, hydration pack, basic tools, helmet, etc. Maybe consider getting modern platform pedals and sticky sneakers (5.10 brand for instance). Toe clips are ok but the newer platforms are grippier without the clips.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Sounds good. I appreciate all the help. Hopefully i can get at least a year out of my bike before i kill myself. Haha. Thanks!

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    If you do decide to do suspension:

The headset will need to be replaced. The steerer tube on your fork is 1 1/4". Most forks that will work for that bike will be 1 1/8".

You are lucky though, a step down headset can be found (I think King makes one, and there were others, but don't know how easy they would be to find.) Step down 1 1/4 head tube to 1 1/8 steerer tube. It would be lots worse if you had a straight 1" head tube. Trust me, got one on a bike.

Second thing with suspension. You will need a shorter travel fork. I say MAX of 80mm, the bike was likely designed for short travel forks, or no travel forks. Forks back then were in the 48-63mm range.

But I agree, just ride the snot out of the bike. It should be well build and plenty well equipped to start on. My first (and second, maybe third) bike was not as good as that one!

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Pretty decent bike to get started on, won't really hold you back in any significant way.

A suspension fork wouldn't be bad idea but don't spend too much, look around for something used. Otherwise if you are having fun on the bike start saving up for something more modern.

Also, looks like the front wheel is on backwards.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    In lieu of a suspension, you might consider slapping on some higher-volume tires to those rims, assuming they'll fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    single speed that *****

artistic...
    that's a technical trail dream bike. HIgh bb. short chainstays and long top tube.
    Hard to find and suited for technical trails.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull