Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fork and frame issues, need assistance diagnosing please.

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Orajel 
#1 ·
Hello all, I've enjoyed reading the forums for a while now. Finally decided to join now I have this puzzling issue with a bike. Its a Trek Mountain Track 800, its a tiny 13.5 inch frame, I got it for my 8 year old son to use. The problem I'm having with it is the handlebars/fork wobbles slightly in the frame. It is the kind of wobble that when you first notice, you think its just a slightly loose wheel, but its not. It does not interfere with his riding experience as when any amount of weight is on it its not noticeable. But I'm concerned with it wearing down more and what I can do to get it back into good shape. What parts on the frame can I replace to improve this? Would replacing a stem help this? Fork? The whole frame? Or just the bearings or some other small piece near the stems mounting? I haven't yet disassembled the stem since, in the condition it is in, I want to have a game plan if I disassemble it, no exploratory surgery.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

#7 ·
Blue-sky guess...this has long been a problem poorly addressed and made worse by bad/infrequent maintenance; whence the manhandling of the adjusting nut. Attempts to manage this have Left the headset badly worn and it will no hold its adjustment long. I bet the innerds are all messed up. You may have to replace it. Note that you have an older style quill headset.

#9 ·
Yeah, there should be a preload nut and a lock nut. Tightening the lock nut (top) without tightening the preload nut won't work very well.

Also totally possible the whole thing is shot and needs to be replaced. A 1 1/8" threaded headset will work (provided it's not 1")

#10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I went ahead and just purchased another headset for the thing, and ti is a 1 inch threaded. I purchased the bike like this used, I wasn't the slob who tore it up I swear! haha Used 13.5" frames are hard to find around here, I can't be too picky. I was just concerned it may be an issue beyond the headset perhaps shared symptom with fork/stem. But with a bit more research and your guys feedback I'm confident this is a symptom isolated to the headset. Considering the condition of the lock-nut I'm not going to repair only replace. Will update with my progress, thanks guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.