Page 1 of 65 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Forge Sawback 5xx 17" Silver

Hello all, just wanted to drop a line and let everyknow know my new bike came in. This is the 2007 model and below I've uploaded some pics for you all to check it out. I'll be happy to answer any of your questions, just post them. I have lots of pics (at least 30) and I can take more of components or whatever. Now, on to the important stuff.

The box with everything in it weighs 39lbs. The bike (wrapped up as it comes out of the box, but without seat and front brake assembly) weighs in at roughly 28lbs. The bike fully assembled weighs in at 31.5lbs (pretty light if you ask me). If you can't deal with that you're a weak ass, it already feels like I'm riding on an air bike... feels like I have nothing under me. Of course I'm used to good ol' steel bikes... ahh, those were the days. Anyway, the bike rides nice, but I haven't gotten to really ride it because it was dark out before it was fully together. This brings me to the difficulty of the build. Basically I couldn't find the directions in the box (no big deal, they are on the website), but I didn't use any directions and it wasn't too difficult. I will say that if you don't work on cars or are at least mechnaically inclined you may not want to attempt it. It's not difficult, but you can't do it in 30 minutes unless you rush it... or you've done it before at least once. I can probably do it quicker now since I know how to goes together and the first time I didn't have directions so I had to make sense of a few things... like flipping the handbar stem right-side up. It's upside down from the factory and while I thought at first that it was improperly installed I realized it was mounted like this in order to clear the box when the bike is packaged and placed in it. Anyway, here's the pics... enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    More pics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    And some more...

The first picture shows the upside down stem. MAKE SURE YOU FLIP THIS BEFORE YOU PUT THE HANDLEBAR ON!!! It's like this for shipping clerence in the box the bikes comes in.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 04-28-2007 at 06:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You guessed it... more pics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I like the color of the bike. I just wish they had that color in a size 19''.

mtbr member
    that looks really awesome. well done...

I still cannot believe the components on that bike for the money.....the frame looks good too...

now we need some trail pics...
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks, I think the bike is really awesome. I'll probably be taking it to a LBS to get things adjusted a little and checked over just for kicks. Actually, I want to take it in and see what they think of it's build and quality. I can tell you I like it more then a Giant I was looking at a few weeks ago. BTW, anyone have any good ideas on where, if at all, I should ziptie the front brake cable to the fork? There's a guide looking thing on the inside of the fork top (the horseshoe looking portion) where it has tabs on each side. It looks like the cable can sit in that channel and then gets zipped to the fork. Only issue here is that the cable then rubs on the silver part of the fork tube... will that be an issue? I can take pics if that will make it easier. Let me know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thank You!! A preview to my order (It's been "Shipping Soon" for 2 days).

I have a few questions about you and the feel of the bike. How tall are you, weight, and what’s the stand over height like? How much was your total? Mine was $335.26 (Items: $319.99, Shipping: $29.99, Promotion Applied: -$32.00, Tax: $17.28)

Also a shot from the front, above the wheel looking slightly down would be nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Reccomend this?

Would you guys reccomend this to someone looking to upgrade from a trek 820?

Portland, OR
    all the components are MUCH better. disc brakes, suspension fork actual brand name stuff rather than trek bontrager components. it would be a major upgrade.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The welds look super clean!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jleecong
    Thank You!! A preview to my order (It's been "Shipping Soon" for 2 days).

I have a few questions about you and the feel of the bike. How tall are you, weight, and what’s the stand over height like? How much was your total? Mine was $335.26 (Items: $319.99, Shipping: $29.99, Promotion Applied: -$32.00, Tax: $17.28)

Also a shot from the front, above the wheel looking slightly down would be nice.
    I'm 5'10" (roughly) and 151lbs. Standover is pretty good. The bike is not big and after riding it a little last night it doesn't feel small. I'll know more today. There is definatly enough clerence for me if I was to take it off-road (should be a minimum of 4 inches). I picked the 17" because I sat on a 18" Giant at an LBS and it felt a little big. I didn't want to risk it with the 19". In the end really, the standover hight difference is less then 1 inch between the bikes... how different can they be. Of course you can't be sure unless you sit on both of them. Anyway, the 17" feels fine to me. As for price.... everyone pays the same price. Basically it would be no different then going in and buying the bike directly. The price you pay in shipping is offset by the promotion discount, but you still have to pay tax which sucks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Oh yeah, anyone know what I need to be able to fill the tires up. From the looks of the valves on the tires a regular pump won't work. Is there an adapter or something? What's up with super special valves on there?

Portland, OR
    they're called "presta valves" I personally think they're 10X better than schreader valves {normal kind} go to your local bike shop, or even your local sporting goods store and look for these

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Adaptors.aspx

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    ^^^ Cool thanks. I ended up doing some searching and finding out about those adapters. Also found out that most pumps today have convertible heads for both Presta and Schreader valves. I might end up going that way since I need a new pump to have in the garage for emergencies. Besides, it's less then $20 for a Bell pump w/guage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    all the components are MUCH better. disc brakes, suspension fork actual brand name stuff rather than trek bontrager components. it would be a major upgrade.
    ?? Whats wrong with Bontrager components? I have some and its bombproof stuff.
    Every company has its good and bad. Even race face. Truvativ, all bad in my opinion..
    If anybody wants Truvativ cranks cheap, brandnew,, pm me

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    truvativ noir cranks look so cool though lol.

the trek bontrager stuff i just low end stuff with bontager's name on it

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Well, I went out and did some riding this afternoon on the road to test things out. Had to tighten up the front fork preload a little, but other then that it went well. Last night I had thought I had some rubbing of the chain on the front derailer on the middle gear, but it was false. Don't know what I was hearing, but all the gears work just fine... doesn't miss a shift or anything. So far I'm happy with the purchase. We'll see how things hold up. Only immediate negative........ my ass hurts a little.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98
    Anyway, the bike rides nice, but I haven't gotten to really ride it because it was dark out before it was fully together.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98
    Oh yeah, anyone know what I need to be able to fill the tires up.
    So the tires came inflated? I ask because I was kind of rushing to get an adapter before my bike came (It shipped last night) and assumed from what I read on shipping bikes the tires would be deflated.

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by wickerman1
    ?? Whats wrong with Bontrager components? I have some and its bombproof stuff.
    Every company has its good and bad. Even race face. Truvativ, all bad in my opinion..
    If anybody wants Truvativ cranks cheap, brandnew,, pm me
    bontrager have great stuff, it just doesnt come on the trek bikes unless you spend a lot of green.

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jleecong
    So the tires came inflated? I ask because I was kind of rushing to get an adapter before my bike came (It shipped last night) and assumed from what I read on shipping bikes the tires would be deflated.
    The tires came inflated, but not to the correct range. The range on the Kenda's are 40-65. The tires were at 20psi pressure shipped. Enough for me to test ride it on my driveway, but definatly not on the road. I inflated mine to 50psi once I got a pump today. I went by the bike shop today and picked up a nice floor pump with gauge and a tip that does both valves without an adapter. Either way, go by a shop and pickup an adapter for like $1.50. You're not going to want to ride it on 20psi pressure.

A couple of points for you to know when you do the install yourself for the bike.

1) Make sure you mount the front brake disc correctly (look at it because it has an arrow for rotation or you could just match the pattern to that of the back disc). Also, torque the bolts for it in a certain order... there's a sheet with the correct order in the little box that has all the paperwork in it.

2) Make sure you flip the handlebar stem right-side up before you install the handbar.

3) The front brake caliper comes with a fork adapter installed on the caliper itself, but the caliper is not mounted to the Dart fork. So, when you install the caliper you have to take off the adapter from the caliper. It's 2 bolts that comes off (look for the black bracket on it). Then install the caliper to the Dart fork. You don't use the adapter for the Dart forks.

4) Pay close attention to the pedals... there is a "left" and "right" pedal. It will say R or L on the end of the threaded part that goes into the crank.

That's about it I think. Good luck.... I know the wait is probably killing you. It did me.

S*it Happens!
    Nice looking bike...
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

Portland, OR
    Where did you order it from? Target online?

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    Where did you order it from? Target online?
    Correct

17" Frame
    19" Frame

Don't forget to Google for a 10% off coupon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

I should get one.........:)

How does it ride offroad? I am thinking about getting one.

Page 1 of 65 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast